Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I'm in the process of fitting an RNS510 unit I bought from a breaker to my 2004 Treg. I've searched this forum and the vwnavi forum, but can't seem to find answers to these questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. How can I tell what version RNS510 I have. All the posts I've seen say to check the part no / info label on the unit but the label on the unit I have doesn't give a version number. Part no is shown as 7L6 035 680. Could it be that as it doesn't say version B it must be a version A? (ie version A's did not say anything?). I'm assuming its an A as the date on the label is 17.08.2007.

If the part no does not have any suffix letter it means that it is one of the original units. The later upgrade had a suffix letter A and so on.

2. Would upgrading the software mean that the unit becomes version B or C?

By upgrading the software it fools the unit into thinking its a later model so when you press the buttons to get to the test/info screens it will say its a B or C unit depending on the software version loaded.

3. Can I use the factory CD changer with the RNS510 unit?

Yes. You need to swap a pin in the connector as the negative/earth signal is pin 2 in the delta radio and pin 3 in the RNS510. The 6 CDs appear in the "media" menu. If the CD has CD text embedded it is only displayed if it is played in the internal CD slot though.

4. I temporarily fitted the unit without the CANBUS adapter and it all appeared to work - backlight when lights on, speakers etc etc. As I expected the steering wheel controls and the info display in the cluster didn't work so is the only function of the CANBUS adapter to give the steering wheel / display functionality? (BTW my vehicle is a 2004 model so I plan to fit the conexx 1.6 to 2.0 CANBUS adapter which says that it gives full steering wheel control rather than just volume on the Kufatec one (see this link - http://shop.conexx-video.de/artikel...AN-BUS-Interface-CAN-1-6-CAN-2-0-TV-Free.html ).

Yes. It seems that some of the canbus signals work without the adapter, but to get the info transmitted to the display and to use the steering wheel controls needs the adapter. If you're happy with no steering wheel control or text info in the DIS screen then you can get by without an adapter.

5. The CANBUS adapters seem to have TV free or non TV free versions. Does "TV free" mean no TV receiver fitted ie free of TV?

"TV Free" means that you can view video while the vehicle is moving (seems an odd description?). It must block the moving signal from the canbus.

6. I currently have an Xcarlink iPod adapter connected to my Delta radio. Do I need an MDI interface to use it with the RNS510 or is there another less expensive option for ipod connection?

The only option to get full control of the iPod and have the track info displayed on the screen is the VW Media In (MDI) unit. Fairly easy to fit and costs about £100. Alternatively you can just connect in to the Aux input with a 3.5mm jack socket and get the sound. The iPod needs to be controlled manually and no track info is displayed. Any other mp3 / CD player can be used in this way too.

·
1,307 Posts
firstly i think that you have a version a unit, but as you say upgrading the firmware does make it basically a version b or c depending on what firmware you install.

i have a cd changer in the boot of my car so dont see why you can't use your with the rns510 when fitted.

you seem to be going down the right road with the canbus adaptor and yes again as far as i am aware you are right about tv no tv etc

my car was factory fitted with the 510 unit as you know and there is a jack plug in the centre arm rest for the ipod, i bought a lead from ebay for a couple of quid, but it doesnt charge the battery or let you use the steering whel buttons except volume. the only other alternative to the mdi interface is again from ebay and it is a magic box which plugs into the cd changer slot on the rear of the unit and gives you a full on screen display and and full use of tall the steering wheel buttons and charges the ipod too.

to be honest though when you get it fitted you will maybe be like me, i have never used the cd changer, if i want to play a cd i push one in the slot on the front of the unit, but when you have a slot for sd cards and a hard drive why use cd's or your ipod for that matter. if you upgrade to 2660 firmware the sd card slot will let you use a 32gb high capacity card also!! i have loaded plenty music onto the hard drive and then you are never without it.

i have a program which converts music from m4a itunes format into mp3 rns 510 format very handy.

good luck hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help Stu - much appreciated.

I take your point about the CD changer - even a 1GB SD card would hold about 3 times the CD equivalent of the changer!

Do you have a item no or description so that I can find the iPod magic box you mentioned on eBay?

Thanks again..

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
stu said:
i have a program which converts music from m4a itunes format into mp3 rns 510 format very handy.
iTunes will do this for you too, fyi

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Having now answered my questions above, I thought it might be useful for anyone in the same boat if I updated the post with the answers .....

Thanks again to all that helped.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Having now answered my questions above, I thought it might be useful for anyone in the same boat if I updated the post with the answers .....

Thanks again to all that helped.
Informative post

Cass

·
8 Posts
I found this forum whilst looking for a replacement for my broken SATNAV (RNS2/MDF2). I have a 2007 3.0l TDI SE, facelift model. I found out it was possible to fit an RNS510 unit to my vehicle and I settled on satnavsystems.com. They came to my house to fit it, it took less than an hour, and I now have a fully functional unit including dash board info and steering wheel controls, plus full 7 digit postcode search and speed cameras all at 2011 status. They use genuine VW parts and I have a 3 year on site warranty. I am extremely pleased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have Touareg 2008 and original rns 510 (7L6035680A) in it.. But I got new rns510 (7E0035680D). Everything is working except one scrolling button on the steering wheel. Is there any possible to enable this button for this rns510 (7E0035680D)?

Thank You

Alan

·
6,288 Posts
Hi Alan, and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Although you already have your Touareg; please read this excellent buyers guide as it will familiarise you with common issues you may experience during the ownership of your vehicle.

Please feel free to post an introduction in the Introductions Forum and tell us about yourself.

Every member has a gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello

I have Touareg 2008 and original rns 510 (7L6035680A) in it.. But I got new rns510 (7E0035680D). Everything is working except one scrolling button on the steering wheel. Is there any possible to enable this button for this rns510 (7E0035680D)?

Thank You

Alan
A part number starting 7E0 denotes a part for a Transporter rather than 7L6 Touareg. It may be that the new head unit is not compatible with the Touareg steering wheel control.

Have you tried refitting the old unit to check that it is not a connection or wire etc?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts