Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, don't know if this has affected anyone else before. noticed it during the winter a couple of times but didn't think much of it, happened last week as well in damp conditions again.

windscreen and windows mist up if the air con isn't running!!

i have had lots of cars over the years and this has never happened before.

surely you don't need the air con running to keep the windows demisted??

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Same with mine. Always mist up if air con isn't on. Put it down to a quirk of the vent set up

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Same here - don't think I've ever driven without the air con on because of it

I think it is a quirk

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
It's noticeably worse if any of the clothes you are wearing or have put in the car are damp or wet after walking in rain. Even a wet umbrella chucked on the passenger floor seems to set it off!

·
Honoured Member
2,175 Posts
I don't think this an uncommon phenomenon generally.

I thought my Jeep Grand Cherokee was faulty when I first got it as the AC was coming on (could hear the compressor clutch cycling) when I hadn't selected it on and with the "AC on" light not illuminated.

Went to the Chrysler dealer where they explained that in order to prevent misting the AC was forced on whenever Windscreen was selected by the distribution control, even when selecting Windscreen/feet, or if the Climate Control was set to Auto. No AC light would be shown.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
no misting up & no air-con since last summer , ,yeah , that day in june i think it was
have,nt noticed steamy windows in the treg at all

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
just wondering , ,when you,ve had the aircon on especially in winter when the car is switched off could condensation be occurring & therefore creating a cycle ?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Maybe it's time to replace the pollen filter to improve air flow?

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Should hope not, mines only a year old and done 8k

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Youi should use the aircon regularly, even during the winter, to keep the oil in the refrigerant moving around to lubricate everything.

·
372 Posts
My A6 was very hard to keep the windscreen clear from condensation too. I had the same problem in the Treg until I unblocked my drainage vents.

·
66 Posts
I find its worse if i haven't cleaned the inside of the screen in a while. Also let the car air every now and again on a dry windy day.

·
1,307 Posts
just had a main dealer service 5 weeks ago with a new pollen filter and it still does it, so i don't really think it's anything to do with that??

i use my air con probably more in the winter than the summer i think as it produces dry air which demists the window quicker.

i will have to investigate the drain solution, any hints and tips as to access etc?

·
372 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Common occurrence ime when running a car without aircon on......personally I dont like it on all the time as it dries out the air inside the car, but obviously its gets used once temperatures are higher...I've always taken the view that its because the "non-airconned" air makes the inside of the car more humid, until its adjusted...

Kaine used to be into aircon didnt he? I'm sure he'll give us a technical explanation.

·
115 Posts
Has any one found a solution to the misting???

As its driving me nuts, just got a new Dobe pup , but travelled to Ireland for her for obvious reasons and the whole trip was a pain with the misting.

Me doing a 36hr 700+ none stop stint, wife ,Daughter and Pup belching and snoring!!!

Any one?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I can't help with the misting up other than to keep the aircon on, but I am curious why you go to Ireland for a Dobermann puppy "for obvious reasons"!

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Off topic I know but posting a reply out of courtesy to Mr Noobs.

I think its because tails can still be docked over there. Its illegal here unless the dogs are from working stock and proven to be destined for a working/hunting/farming life. Tails on hunting dogs wag a lot (cos ther're happy) and can get gashed and infected. Many used to be docked for the sake of appearence, it was banned some years ago.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I just leave the climate control on auto and never have a problem with misting. Same as every other car I've had with climate control. That's why it's called climate control isn't it and not just air con? If set to auto it will only turn the compressor on when it needs it won't it?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Off topic I know but posting a reply out of courtesy to Mr Noobs.

I think its because tails can still be docked over there. Its illegal here unless the dogs are from working stock and proven to be destined for a working/hunting/farming life. Tails on hunting dogs wag a lot (cos ther're happy) and can get gashed and infected. Many used to be docked for the sake of appearence, it was banned some years ago.
Aha! Thanks for the offtop response. Explains it all. So the tail doesn't wag the dog, eh!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts