Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am not sure if is appropriate to ask this here or to start a new post ( administrators, please advise)
Edit - moved to new thread - Cass 馃憤

I just seen now that my 2013 3.0 tdi has 275/40/20 in the front and 275/45/20 in the rear!!! they are all new tyres, same make. Anybody knows why they will put smaller tyres in the front?

Mechanical Guru
Who knows.. maybe all that was available or perhaps cheaper. But the difference is putting additional strain on the centre diff. Get them matched asap.

Chairman
Change those tyres tomorrow.

All 4 must be the same make, same model, same tread pattern and SAME SIZE!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waw! sounds scary ! I already ordered them! thank you !!!
I saw above that the Escape model is 15 mm higher and Whippetboy managed to fit some nice 255/60/18 which are 30.05 in diameter. should I assume ( please don`t laugh very loud at my lack of knowledge:) ) that some BFG 255/65/17 which have the same 30.05 diameter will fit without any problems?

Chairman
You can fit up to 31.5 inches overall diameter before running into problems.

Reactions: Urszilla

Super Moderator
It would seem likely that the previous owner or the selling dealer/garage (probably not a VW dealer) has most likely put a different size of tyres on different to OEM spec because of availability or price 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

How long have you had the car and who did you buy it from 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the car for about 2 months and I did probably a thousand miles
I spoke with the dealer today and he apologised for not checking the tyre sizes. He offered to pay half of the new tyres, so I think he was genuine and he did not know. he said also he bought the car as it was and he will try to find who fitted the tyres
in the history there is a mention of fitting only 2 tyres 275/45/20, so , probably they fitted quick another 2 that they had in the garage for the sale.
is interesting that on the MOT there is no mention of this problem so either was missed or they fitted them after the MOT
anyway, the only thing that matters now is if the differential was or or wasn`t affected
is there a way to check that?

Super Moderator
Nope - only time will tell but I鈥檇 push to get something in writing from the dealer in case the gearbox goes pear shaped - at least that way you can prove that the wrong tyres were fitted when they sold you the car. It is their responsibility after all and under consumer law, you have rights up to 6 years after purchase but will need proof of any fault if making any claim after 6 months of ownership (under 6 months any fault is deemed to have been present at the time of purchase).

With regard to the tyres, they should all be the same brand and type (and size), with no more than 2mm tread difference on the same axle and no more than 3mm difference between the front and rear axles.

It鈥檚 unlikely that there will be any way of checking when tyres were changed, unless you contact the previous keeper direct or there is documentation on the car available 馃

As a comparison, my 2013 R-Line was supplied from the factory with 275/45 R20鈥檚 on Taragonna alloys, so maybe it鈥檚 the fronts that need changing 馃
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don鈥檛 think the dealer will sign anything as he said he did not check and wasn鈥檛 aware of this. So I hope they weren鈥檛 there too long to damage things . The front tyres are changed 鈥 as we speak 鈥 with 275/45/20, same make.
I hope the Touareg is tough enough !

Super Moderator
The fact that the dealer is changing the tyres and making a contribution is admission enough. Drop him an email thanking him for being prompt to rectify the mistake - that will document the issue whether he replies or not and keep any copy of the invoice and receipt of your contrI button as well 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you Cass! I will do that ! I also hope I will never need it:)
In the meantime the touareg got new shoes !
I am now trying to get some AT 255/65/17 for offroading. I hope I am not gone mismatch these ones, too :))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts