Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic question but what is the best way to measure the tread on a Treg that I'm going to be test driving? Is it simply a case of getting a ruler out - seems a bit crude.

Also, having reviewed this board, I understand that each tyre should have at least 7mm of tread and be within 3mm of each other. Can anyone give me an idea of the relationship between mileage and tread wear i.e. how many miles of average driving it takes to wear tyres down per mm?
Many thanks. Paul

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
No one can tell you what wear rates are. It will depend on your driving style, acceleration, braking and the type of roads you use - all motorways or all twisty lanes or lots of car parking.

Do some research on here and you'll see tyres have wear ratings on the walls - some are soft tyres and wear quickly whilst others are hard and last longer.

If you want to check tyre tread, buy a tyre tread depth gauge for a fiver - its use is self explanatory - measure the main tread in three places: inside/middle/outside.

Tyres should not vary by more than 2 mm on the same axle and 3 mm between front and rear axles.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts