Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

A few of you may have read that my car went in for it's first long life 20k miles service, I'd like to share my experience.
I bought my car from Loughborough VW but I live 2 miles from Trust VW in Stourbridge West Midlands so decided to use them.

My car was booked in and left with them at 8am Tuesday 28th April and I expected the car back the same day, I was called that afternoon to be told that my powersteering pump was leaking and that they would rather I didn't have the car back with this fault, so they ordered the parts etc. I was then called to be told that my engine would require removal for the repair to take place and was advised that the car would be ready for Friday 1st May. I was given a 09 Golf 1.4Tsi as a courtesy car (this was lovely) as Friday came I decided as I was off work to drive to the dealer an enquire about the progress face to face. A startled service adviser asked me if anyone had called me with the latest problem... So I was then told that my car had been rebuilt and road tested but a wheel bearing had been damaged whilst the driveshafts were fitted, so these parts were now on order.
Due to the weekend being a bank holiday I was told that my car would be ready for Tuesday (exactly a week for a simple service!!)
On Tuesday I 'happened' to be driving past the dealer and did a quick tour of the empty service car park, there I saw my car still dripping with water from a very poor valet all rebuilt ready for collection. I drove home with some shopping and by now an hour or so had passed since I saw my car , still no call...
I drove to the dealer, emptied my belongings from the Golf and walked into the service dept. I spoke to the 20 ish year old girl who said "Yeah it's just been finnished, and we were just gonna call you" I noted that the place was virtually empty and the service car park was too! So what was the delay?
I had to sign a warranty document that said all the repairs had been done to all the faults I listed and the ones the dealer had caused even though I was yet to try the car out!

I had listed ...
Bulb warning light always flashing for no reason (bulb replaced) and fault fixed)
Pulling to the left, (now seems better) but I think a full alignment is required as it feels 'wierd')
Corroded VW wheel centre caps, (caps replaced)
Terrible wipers (new wiper blades fitted free but should have been ?17 each)

The powersteering pump is done and the steering feels very different now (I spotted no leak in the first place). the engine was taken out and put back in and now I can lower both front windows while driving and can definately hear some additional sounds... the turbo's whistle much more vocally similar to a jet or compressed air sound, and the gearbox makes a 'wheezing' sound during upshifts?? its not a worrying noise, just different. My brake fluid was also replaced and the pedal moves more now and sometimes needs a pump to get some feel.
I have also reset my gearbox and have really noticed the difference in mpg at least an extra 2-3 at the moment, is this due to less friction from new oil (17 litres) according to the invoice?

Some might say " take the car back" I would but I wouldn't trust them with a push bike after this

·
749 Posts
T,

Take it back on Monday, you have paid them good money to do it right.

The brake pedal is a big concern, you dont want to be pump the brake pedal to stop 2tones of 4x4.

Even thou you dont trust them you have give them a chance to put it right, once you are happy everything has been done yoi can ripp on to them ... NOT BEFORE.

Dont accept anything less then perfection for your hard earned cash.

Furion

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Agreed.

I would write a polite but very firm letter detailing my concerns and making it clear they have to get it all right this time to my full satisfaction and that will include a thorough test drive before accepting the car back.

I wolud address it personally to the workshop director/manager and cc by name the dealer principal.

I would then deliver both copies personally by hand when I take the car in and verbally emphasise the importance of doing the job right first time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I went for a drive around Wales over the weekend to give the car a good run, I had two mates on board and a boot full of stuff, did 300 miles in all. I have noticed that when I select drive or reverse after the car has stood, there is a huge delay before anything happens, and the brake pedal is awful! The car seems to drive smoothly but it's just plain different to how I remember it , I wondered if it was because I had been driving that Golf for a week, but no , the car isn't right. I'll take it back and update you on here

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok!
I took the car back and told the child on service reception that the brake pedal was so spongy etc etc, she said "Ok, I'll go get the mechanic and he'll come out for a test drive with you". Forty five minutes later a guy appears and says, " Are you the one with the Touareg?" The guy is holding his hand out for the key and as I pass them to him he is already backing away without even listening as I'm trying to tell him the symptoms, it's clear that all he wants to do is "appear" to do something and fob me off, I manage to tell him that the pedal seems to travel way too far for comfort and that the gearbox make a strange wheezing sound on upshifts and he goes away and takes my car into the workshop.

Well over an hour later I'm told that the car should be booked in again, I ask what the findings were, and the child says," Well , the technician thinks the brakes are ok, but he has bled the system again, but the gearbox is too hot to look at the other problem, so I agree to provisionally book the car in for next Tuesday as thats the only time there will be a courtesy car for me. I drove away with a slightly better brake pedal, but it's still inconsistent with its feel and travel.

My VW salesman friend as just transfered from this branch (Trust VW in Stourbridge) to a VW Birmingham, he was with me in Wales at the weekend and has seen the brake pedal etc, I'm tempted to ask him if he can get it in his workshop under warranty??
Seems like another nightmare is starting, I hope not.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Time for the letters?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I think so, I will await the findings with the gearbox, but my gut tells me that I'm on to a loser from this place, all the time I was at the dealer yesterday, I could hear people messing around in the workshop and this spilled out onto the showroom to the point that the 'child' service receptionist couldn't keep a straight face when she dealt with me, now I'm no fuddy duddy and we all need a giggle to make the day pass etc, but after parting with the large sums of money that buys a Treg, I just thought a little more professionalism would have been suitable especially when it's all gone wrong once before, maybe I'm asking too much from these particular people. Years ago I'd have started shouting but I've learned that it makes things worse.

·
749 Posts
linn1000 said:
Yes I think so, I will await the findings with the gearbox, but my gut tells me that I'm on to a loser from this place, all the time I was at the dealer yesterday, I could hear people messing around in the workshop and this spilled out onto the showroom to the point that the 'child' service receptionist couldn't keep a straight face when she dealt with me, now I'm no fuddy duddy and we all need a giggle to make the day pass etc, but after parting with the large sums of money that buys a Treg, I just thought a little more professionalism would have been suitable especially when it's all gone wrong once before, maybe I'm asking too much from these particular people. Years ago I'd have started shouting but I've learned that it makes things worse.
Just a thought, why dont you get roadside assitance out, tell them the brake pedal has gone funny and there is a noise from the gearbox. The guy may make some advantages quotes while looking at your and giving you a technical review of the problem. Or some other informed independant second opinion and recomendations.

Also try and find out the name of the director and speak to him direct !! No point speaking to the underlings.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
linn1000 said:
Given what you've now added about the messing about as above, I wouldn't wait on the letter front.

This kind of malarkey can go on and on.

They've messed up.

They need to be told formally they've messed up.

And the dealer principal should be put on notice nad given the chance to sort it out or you refer it to VW GB.

I'd even give him this thread to look at to realise his garage's performance - or distinct lack of it - is getting a good airing in public on the internet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The saga continues...

I have now given my car back to the dealer and told them on no uncertain terms that the car is not fit for purpose, I asked to speak to the service manager, who happened to be on his day off, " A miracle!" I said sarcastically, I once again listed the faults with the car and asked when it could be booked in , the giggling girl said that they didn't have a courtesy car, so I said, "I'll have a hire car at your cost", they agreed and now I'm stuck in a Jetta 2.0 TDi with a dsg box. This was after being promised a car that would be "similar" to a V10 Treg..hmmm.

So after finally speaking to VW Trust's Treg expert, "Simon" at length, I told him about the "hissing" gearbox that clonks so loudly as it engages reverse and how there can be a 5 second delay before any drive in any direction takes up, Simon said " Ah I was going to bleed that for you, you see, the Touareg engine and transmission assembly is very long and there is a lot of fluid that can go missing when stripped down etc etc, so I said" SO WHY WAS THE CAR RELEASED TO ME IN THAT STATE?" he had no answer. I mentioned that the bulb warning light has started to appear again, and that the brake pedal is mushy with a very inconsistent operating pressure. I finally added that a new alloy wheel would be nice or at least some sort of paint repair to my current wheel after half a pint of brake fluid was allowed to lift the paint.

I finished my polite but firm conversation with 3 staff stood around me by letting them know that I'm a member of Mytreg.com and that copies of my posts on here could and would be printed off and given directly to the service manager should matters not be sorted on this attempt.

The latest is that after being told that the brakes were " FINE" ( even though the car was not road tested cos I reset the trip) I am now in the hire car for possibly 1-2 weeks as new brake parts are on order but are out of stock... " But the brakes were fine they said?" It's like a comedy thats no longer funny...

I reminded the service staff that my model of Touareg was SIXTY THOUSAND POUNDS just 18 months ago, and that I had bought a new R32 from them and this was the thanks for my custom? The guy that dropped off the hire car ( EuropeCar) even missed a huge scuff/scratch to the back of the Jetta and would have screwed me for that in 2 weeks time had I not pointed that out, and he was an awkward bugger and didnt want to mark down on the damage sheet something that the office had missed, would they blame him for that during delivery?
Anyways I'll update the thread with more misery soon...

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Get the e-mail address of the dealer principal at

TRUST VW, STOURBRIDGE

[funny but somehow I wouldn't after this!]

and send him the link to this thread!

Perhaps that'll liven up someone's life at his so-called garage.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW...I spoke to a good mate and collegue of mine who is into RangeRovers, he is a great mechanic and warned me that a hissing sound from an autobox is either critically low fluid or air in the system, either problem burns out the little clutches, on a Touareg this would be a replacement transmission... and a HUGE bill. :evil:

I'm no expert and as the car was released to me in this condition will take no responsibilty for any premature wear or life reducing nastyiness... ! We will see.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Nooby, I will make sure that the dealer principle gets a hard copy of this thread, I know that I have made fun of the service girl, who in my opinion wasn't taking me seriously, but this is my anger, it's no old banger of a car here, it's a lot of money no matter who the customer, I apologise for these comments, I'm yet to get any such apology from Trust VW.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
You must be furious. After spending all your hard earned money, and this is the service you get :shock: . I think you should contact vw customer services as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is hard to remain calm, but sometimes a car can be permanently damaged be people like this, you know how it is when a car has been painted etc, you can tell even if no one esle can , thats the kind of feeling I'm getting now from my V10, its the most money I have ever parted with next to a house...and its getting worse not better!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right!!

I have collected my poor Treg from Trust VW and can happily report a clean bill of health, the brakes are perfect, I got a nice valet, the bulb warning light didn't come on (yet) and the gearbox does its thing nicely... I drove from their workshop to the end of the road, and right into Chemix Autocentre (stourbridge) and got a 4 wheel full set up, castor, toe, camber...for ?57.50...

Now I'm happy!

G

·
Fantastic News!

Sorry to ask again but did you ever query the 17 litres of oil they apparently needed for the oil change?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Toyboy...

I'm sorry, I do remember seeing the figure on my invoice, but after all the hassle I have been through I never thought to ask. I think you're right about the quantity, I think I have read that amount somewhere esle too, I dont know if it's a mistake as they have dropped enough clangers with the work , I guess a typo is easy to do as well .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts