Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early Friday morning saw us arrive at our caravan storage site with Mrs S. at the wheel.

Kids went off to play, while Mrs S. loaded the van up and I sorted the locks, legs and stuff ready for a trip to the Lakes.

When it came time to hitch up, I was going to direct Mrs S. on to the hitch but she found that the car had locked itself down with her key left in the ignition (engine off). Every door and tailgate was locked.

Fortunately I had my key in my pocket, however the car would not recognise my fob and still would not unlock.

I manually opened the door and on reaching in to remove the boss's key I set the alarm off.

On removing her key, everything reset and has worked fine since on both keys.

Valuable lesson learned but has anyone experienced this one before, and any ideas what caused it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had times when the remote would not unlock the car, mostly at home but sometimes out & about, I guess about 4 times in 14 months. Key in the lock, alarm goes off, put key in the ignition & everything is fine. I put it down to some kind of anti scanning software on the car detecting our Touran key (which on occasion has operated our remote lights at home when locking the car).
:
Mal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Experienced exactly same problem. Having stopped at a services with the caravan on tow, went for a comfort break leaving the good lady, keys in the ignition etc. Shortly afterwards my wife got out of the passenger door and closed it, still with keys in ignition plus all our valuables incl spare keys still in the car. Car went ino lock-down with no means of entry.
Had to call out VW assist who prised open the top of the passengers door and managed to 'fish out' the keys from the ignition and out via the gap at the top of the door. Only other option was to break into the boot by breaking the tail light assembly to get to the tailgate release.

Apparently the car will not lock-down with the keys in the ignition if it is the drivers door which is last closed, however if it is closed and final exit is via any other door, then all doors + tailgate can be locked by a door button.

Can only assume that on getting out of the passengers door, my wife accidentally touched and operated the door lock, which is rather conveniently placed next to the lever.

Only happened once and have been more careful since to make sure the keys are never left in the ignition, even when there is someone in the car.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lost off with this, does the car auto lock ???

And if so how do we unlock it ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Auto lock was working as intended with no problems prior to this experience and has continued to do so since then.
Can only put it down to 'operator' error, although that's good for an argument any time it's raised with the other half!.

It is not totally clear in the handbook, but it does state that with the drivers door closed the car will be fully locked by operating any of the other door lock buttons.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buster said:
Lost off with this, does the car auto lock ???
Me too ??

Thanks for your replies so far (I've been having a bit of bother getting back on to the site)

Whiskymac,

Apologies if I'm missing your point, but I wasn't aware the cars had an auto lock function and if they do mine is not activated/fitted. If we forget to lock it, it stays open for the duration.
Like most cars, if I unlock it with the remote and don't open a door, the car will lock back up after a short period and it also has the "anti-carjack" set up, which activates the locks as you pull away and which requires 2 pulls of the interior handles to get out.

My last car had the exterior buttons to lock the car without using the remote, but this one doesn't have them on any door, so I don't think my wife could have accidentally locked it that way.

Confused ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Scotty,
Sorry for any confusion - Firstly can I say that this only applies to T1's, the latest T2 has a much simpler and conventional central locking operation.
Your understanding is correct, auto-lock occurs when the car is unlocked by remote and the doors are not opened. Doors will automatically lock after approx 30 seconds. This was not a factor in my problem.
Perhaps I can clarify the locking of the T1 as I understand it :-
Scenario 1 - Key in ignition, open and exit by drivers door and activate the central locking button next to the internal lever. Close the door and the drivers door should not lock as a protection as the key is in the ignition.
Scenario 2 - Key in ignition, open and exit by a passengers door and activate the central locking button. Close the door and ALL doors lock including the drivers door and tailgate.
If experimenting, it goes without saying to have the spare keys in your pocket.

I can only assume that due to the central locking button being so close to the opening lever, the button was pressed by accident and simply locked all doors as designed when the passenger door was closed.

The original T1 had as I recall central locking buttons on all four doors which operated as above, the T2 only has central locking on the front doors and these simply activate or unlock the system.
You are also correct that if the central locking is active when in the car, it can be relased by two pulls on the operating lever.

Hope this does not confuse any further. It was only after experiencing the problem, did I sit down and study the locking procedures as explained in the handbook.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whiskymac,

Thanks for clearing that up and the confusion was all mine, I thought you were referring to locking buttons on the exterior of the car, not the interior.

It is possible one of us unwittingly pressed one of the lock buttons as we got out, or I've started to wonder if it was possible that while crouching down to remove my Alko wheel locks, whether I could have squeezed lock on my fob while it was in my pocket.

Neither scenario would account for my fob not opening the car back up though ??

Keeping it simple for the future - Our ignition keys will not be left in.... Ever again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gald we've clarified the terminology.
Would agree that the probable cause was either the accidental activation of the central locking when opening the door, or as you suggest the key fob in your pocket being pressed by some of the other contents.

Had a similar problem with the caravan alarm at Longleat last year when changing the battery. Frequent bending with the key fob in my trouser pocket was alarming and disarming the caravan alarm system. I didn't think the bleaping was from my caravan until I got a call from the 'Tracker' control advising that the alarm was being triggered.
Caravan alarm fob now kept in a seperate pouch.

Hopefully you had a one-off, but it does destroy the confidence for a while.

G

·
Scotty, I think the reason your spare fob wouldn't unlock was because your first key was in the ignition. Key in the ignition transponds with car, which is why it shuts off the alarm, if triggered. If I recall correctly, even the fob attached to the key in the ignition has it's button functions de-activated.

Cheers, Andy

·
54 Posts
Not had that issue, car will lock if unlocked then doors not opened, had that in several VW's, but never if door opened and keys in.

Had similar problem to Malt with remote living room light going off when I lock the car though !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts