Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

With the dark nights here in NE Scotland now I'm thinking on replacing the bulbs with something better than stock. I searched and fell across a thread on LED bulbs from back in 2013 but I'm wondering if anyone has had recent experience?

I've spoken to my friendly garage who has said that he'll have no issues with the beam pattern as long as it's not wildly out and dangerous. The principal will still be the same in that there will need to be a resistor to sink the additional load but I'm looking for advice on a good strong beam and longevity.

Cheers folks. :)
Calumski
2011 V6 TDi SE

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
H15 LEDs weren't available for a long time but have a look at these new ones:

Reactions: calumski

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
As for H7 these have to be Philips Ultranons!
Not cheap but beyond outstanding. Powerbulbs often have a 25% discount weekend.

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
No. I use the earlier Generation bulbs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the advice folks, bulbs now ordered and will show before and after pics once the replacements turn up. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks all for the advice folks, bulbs now ordered and will show before and after pics once the replacements turn up. :)
FYI, If you originally had standard halogen headlights, it's now an MOT failure if you convert to LED bulbs.

From the MOT inspection manual, section 4.1.4:
"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

This may or may not concern you, but worth bearing in mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, If you originally had standard halogen headlights, it's now an MOT failure if you convert to LED bulbs.

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

It's a good point and one that I had to run past my local friendly garage to make sure he'd be OK with it. He's said that as long as it's not wildly refracting then he'd be OK.

Cheers though. 👍

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts

With projector lens it's not possible to tell visually what type of bulb is fitted - so for those it's all down to acceptable beam pattern, or not.

·
Registered
680 Posts
With projector lens it's not possible to tell visually what type of bulb is fitted - so for those it's all down to acceptable beam pattern, or not.
I don’t think anyone would struggle to tell the difference between LED and standard halogens as soon as they switched them on. At which point, they could easily take the bulb out to confirm.

But if the OP has a garage that doesn’t care, then it’s not an issue.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
I don’t think anyone would struggle to tell the difference between LED and standard halogens as soon as they switched them on. At which point, they could easily take the bulb out to confirm.

But if the OP has a garage that doesn’t care, then it’s not an issue.
MoT testers aren't allowed to take the bulbs out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I've got the H15's swapped out nice and easily and what a difference - look forward to testing them at night. ;) Now here's a new issue... I went to change out the H7's and the barrel of the new LED bulb is about 1/8" too wide to fit through the metal clip that holds the bulb in place. Phoned the garage and he said that you can probably only get them as part of the main headlight unit.

I'm going to have a hunt around eBay to get another pair and see if I can dremmel just a wee bit out where the bulb goes through the clip rather than risk breaking the ones in place. Would any of you good people know where I may be able to pick up a pair before I start hunting?

Thanks all. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Massive difference with the H15's in this evening. This is how they look compared to the H7's. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. 😎
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Headlamp

Reactions: Cass

·
Registered
680 Posts
MoT testers aren't allowed to take the bulbs out.
They’re not allowed to ‘dismantle’ anything. I think some would interpret that in different ways When it came to looking at a bulb.

That being said, the inspection manual lists ways of identifying HIDs, including “a blueish tinge to the light”, so it definitely allows for an inspector to fail the headlights based on their belief alone that the incorrect bulb is fitted. Given the above photo, I doubt many people would say that was a halogen bulb.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They’re not allowed to ‘dismantle’ anything. I think some would interpret that in different ways When it came to looking at a bulb.

That being said, the inspection manual lists ways of identifying HIDs, including “a blueish tinge to the light”, so it definitely allows for an inspector to fail the headlights based on their belief alone that the incorrect bulb is fitted. Given the above photo, I doubt many people would say that was a halogen bulb.
It's a good point. Truth be told you can quite clearly see the LED element when you look closely at the headlight unit. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts