Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, As usual been trawling the tinter web for new things and bingo have a look at this one!!

You will either need a brand new version c head unit or install the new 2660 firmware. I just love gadgets!!

http://www.inautonews.com/rns-510-navig ... ce-control

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My last Treg had voice-activation for the phone- good in theory but bad if the car is fitted with a swear-box- I dread to think how many times Iost my rag with the ladies voice.
My wife used to find it quite amusing when after finally getting it right I would say "thank you" to the voice system (you had to be there....).

Cas

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Stu,

I have read that link as well and thought the attaching photo aspect was an interesting gimmick ...

I have gone through as many of the options as I can having done the upgrade and can find nothing that indicates this functionality ..... do you have any ideas?

As an aside, additional functionality I have found include:

The volume pop up screen is now far more subtle when you change volume

The really irritating feature that meant when you went back to folder view whilst playing a track on HDD it always returned to the start of the list has now changed so it puts you back to the album you are playing

The speed limit notification works really well, I literally had just passed from a 30mph zone to a 40mph zone and it told me

The clock display definitely works.

Have not yet gone into VagCom ..... wouldn't mind a run through of what you did ...

And finally .... Apologies for my earlier posting ... I was clearly on one then ... soz

Domo

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Speed limit notification- how do you activate that then?

Thanks

Cas

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cas, it's part of the new firmware and just appears as a normal speed limit road sign in the top right hand corner of the screen, very useful i think....but only as good as the info it is programmed with.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Domo, you have to go to the Merian web site and get the software from there i think and then use your pc to load pics onto an sd card and load them to the 510's hdd

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hi Cas

Went surfing and found some interesting info :

Press Release

This navigation system is at your command!

Radio navigation system RNS 510 now with voice control

Wolfsburg/ Frankfurt, 21 September 2009 - Volkswagen presents the latest generation of the radio navigation system RNS 510 at the current International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt: this system, with new auxiliary functions like voice control, is now even easier to operate. With the multimedia travel guide MERIAN scout, the RNS 510 also provides pictorial, textual and audible information about destinations and gives useful tips.

The newest generation of the RNS 510 can be operated with voice control and without constantly pressing buttons. This device identifies names of places and streets and also short voice commands like "start route guidance" and immediately begins to calculate the route. The destination can now be entered easily in four languages. The RNS 510 can also provide quick and appropriate solutions by giving easily understandable instructions and information. Not only this: the telephone can also be operated using voice control without any problems.

MERIAN scout route guides (ReiseGuides) for the RNS 510 can also be accessed under http://www.volkswagen.merianscout.de. These route guides provide information and tips on tourist attractions, restaurants, hotels and other interesting places with photos. Additionally, it is also possible to listen to interesting sound clips on selected tourist attractions. The MERIAN scout route guides are available for a large number of regions and cities in Germany and Europe. Operating it is really simple: before the journey, the customer has to load the files from the internet on an SD card and transfer them to the RNS 510. Here, the MERIAN scout route guide pictures can be selected and the stored information can be accessed.

Apart from this, the RNS 510 also has the function "Picture Navigation". With this function, it is possible to attach one?s own pictures to the respective addresses or geographical data. On saving these on an SD card and transferring them to the RNS 510, these pictures are displayed and selected and the routes are calculated.

https://www.volkswagen-media-servic...tion_system.standard.gid-oeffentlichkeit.html

http://www.merianscout.de/produkte/reiseguides/volkswagen/index.php

Looks like there is nothing for the UK market ...

Interesting how they are pushing the boudaries of the device though ...

Cheers

Domo

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Bit like Eurovision - the rest of Europe hates us

Seriously though, I cannot understand why we haven't had a decent mapping system from VW, but in all fairness, the other manufacturers do the same. I for one would be prepared to pay a subscription for it like I do with my Tom Tom (well the wife's actually, but I bought it for me
), but they continue to stiff us with outdated maps and expect us to pay top dollar for these as well.

I love my RNS 510 unit and like the fact that it is integrated and standard in the car. It just looks right. I've been interested in the threads on this subject and may well take the plunge to update my own software, but I'd like to be sure that all the bugs have been ironed out and that my dealer can sort any problems if it goes wrong - I don't have that confidence yet :!:

Cass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts