Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, treg is a 2007 v6 tdi auto with 40k miles on it with standard suspension on original wheels. just noticed today while driving in city at low speed 20mph a slight knocking noise frm drivers front wheel area, the noise increases in repitition with speed. the noise is present without braking and also without acceleration and also when coasting in neutral which i think would rule out gearbox perhaps and brake pads. there is no feedback of the noise thru the steering wheel. is it probable just a roll bar link or something not too costlly? the noise persists regardless of the direction the steering is pointed. i know that some of the people on here are great at diagnosis!! thanks in advance to all. great site too! alan.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
If 2007, is it still under warranty?

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just been out driving it since and cant hear any noise now! all i did was wash it and reset the gearbox memory via the trottle pressed while ignition key turned. Very strange maybe something was rattling around between wheel and brakes which may hav been removed while washing or maybe just something random. Guess i will just hav to keep an ear on the situation!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
After we had all the snow I broke my normal routine [which is no routine at all as I don't normally bother] and washed the car.

On the road afterwards I experienced a vibration which increased with road speed to the extent I thought something was seriously wrong with the car.

I returned home and made my planned journey in another car.

But later that day I power washed the wheels more thoroughly and lots more mud came off.

Needless to say, the vibration had disappeared when I road tested the car afterwards!

It is clear that as the wheels pick up mud and grunge they do so evenly due to the centrifugal force of the wheels' rotations so the wheels stay in balance.

However, because the wheels are so wide, if you don't clean them throughly, a lump of mud can cause an imbalance sufficent to make you think there is something wrong with the car.

So if you do wash, wash it well. Otherwise, don't bother at all!

·
350 Posts
You might want to check the propshaft centre bearing as that can appear as a knock with no feedback through steering. Need to go under car by rear doors and see if you can move propshaft up and down by an appreciable amount. It doesn't sound like yours but it may be worth checking......

·
749 Posts
This might sound silly, but check your tyres haven't got a nail or screw stuck in somewhere, i have experienced it myself when i had a screw stuck in a rear tyre, obviously with speed the sound will get faster, it sounded just like a knocking !

I hope its something as simple and cheap to fix as that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts