Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i want to buy a spare key for the car but don't really want to pay stealer prices!!! i have been on fleabay and there are plenty on there at reasonable money.

my question is are all the VW three button keys the same?? i have compared my key to the ones up for sale and they seem different in that mine seems to be one unit, but the ones on ebay seem to have a pull off head with the key blade in it.

any help appreciated

·
54 Posts
From experience with other VW's they are not all the same.

My car is the same as yours with a flip key blade, I have had others with the pull out blade, but as far as I know they are not compatible

Sure someone out there will let us know if that is not right !!.

·
108 Posts
sligtly of topic if you use keyless start how far will it go if you leave the keys at home?

graham

·
Registered
876 Posts
Provided you don't stop the engine with the stop/start button, it will continue until the fuel runs out......

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
stu said:
hi all, i want to buy a spare key for the car but don't really want to pay stealer prices!!! i have been on fleabay and there are plenty on there at reasonable money.

my question is are all the VW three button keys the same?? i have compared my key to the ones up for sale and they seem different in that mine seems to be one unit, but the ones on ebay seem to have a pull off head with the key blade in it.

any help appreciated
Hi Stu,

Did you ever resolve this query?

I am looking to get a spare key and have seen them on e-Bay - are they re-codable?

Cheers,
John

G

·
I had to buy a new spare key, but I purchased from the dealer. It was ?90 but it was cut and programmed without any bother. Considering i only had one key when i purchased the car I felt it would be cheaper to pay the ?90 for a spare key as opposed to whole new system if i was to loose the one an only key. And murphys law would have stated that whilst i only had one key it would be the only time i would loose a key in my whole entire life

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
The VW badge is missing from one my keys. Anyone ever replaced it?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
JBS said:
I had to buy a new spare key, but I purchased from the dealer. It was ?90 but it was cut and programmed without any bother. Considering i only had one key when I purchased the car I felt it would be cheaper to pay the ?90 for a spare key as opposed to whole new system if i was to loose the one an only key. And murphys law would have stated that whilst i only had one key it would be the only time i would loose a key in my whole entire life
Actually ?90.00 doesn't sound too bad - I'm assuming that included the cutting and the programming!?

I am in the same predicament as you were - I only have the one key and am a bit paranoid about losing it!

I am still watching a second-hand key on e-Bay at the moment so am interested in finding out if re-programming is possible and anyone's experiences of getting it done!

Cheers,

John.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
noobytoogy said:
The VW badge is missing from one my keys. Anyone ever replaced it?
Nooby,

I haven't replaced one yet but I copied the following statement verbatim from an advert selling one on
e-Bay................

"The thin metal convex.badge is blue white and chrome and measures 14mm diameter. It is very easy to fit just drop into the recepticle in your key fob and press the top of the dome in."

..............................if that is any help to you!

Cheers,
John.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Thanks for that - well spotted!

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just to bring you all up to date on the key topic

i have established that if you are buying a second hand key from ebay it MUST have the same code number on it as your original key. i have only seen one on ebay in the past 6 months!!!

getting a key cut in easy, you buy blanks from ebay, you can get originals for a couple of quid, take them to your local shop and they can copy your original key. i had two done just for the hell of it and they unlock the doors no probs.

the problems start now...... as soon as you unlock the door the alarm goes off because the car doesn't recognise the key because in the key head is the transponder with the code in it for the alarm/immobiliser!! without the car reading the transponder code you are stuffed.

yet again on ebay you can buy uncoded new transponders which will fit into your key head, but you need VCDS to talk to the car and extract the SKC code from the immobiliser unit.

so if you are going to go down the do it DIY route, you will need blank blades, a new transponder and find a 3 button section with the correct part number on it!!

Nooby... the vw badges are easy to change as they are self adhesive, the badge actually covers the screw to remove the key head from the buttons, yet again these can be bought from ebay.

i have also priced a new key from the stealers, infact from three different stealers within my area. two were the same price and one was more expensive.. :evil:

So for the whole job done by the stealer properly ?180 seems to be the acceptable norm....make up your own minds!!!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Stu,

Thanks for that comprehensive update!

What route did you opt for in the end?

I have seen a key for sale on e-Bay that has a part number identical to mine except for the suffix letter at the end. My key is 3D0 959 753 S and the key for sale is 3D0 959 753 AD apparently. My research has shown that the suffix letters differentiate keys for vehicles with keyless entry/start and those without. My treg has keyless and I have checked that the suffix letters on the key for sale also denote a treg with keyless entry/start.

Would this match be close enough do you think?

Do I have to look out for any particular type of transponder?

Sorry to be a pain with all these questions!

Cheers,
John.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, i wouldn't really like to comment on that as you have taught me something there about the end letters!!!

the AD keys are quite common really, if you look at the pictures of the keys on ebay, all seem to have the red light to show it's working in the middle, my Treg has it at the top and as i said i have only seen one other like this with the same numbers in the last 6 months.

the transponders seem to be the key component as they talk to the car immobiliser. As far as i am aware the button part is only to unlock the doors and you can go through a process of ignition settings and button pushing to make them work, the key and transponder are the important parts, the one i bought and spent too much money on would unlock the doors but wouldn't start the car, but this was before i sussed the transponder isuue. The ones that are for sale on ebay should do the job.

i have spent a few beer tokens getting as far as this and still haven't got a spare key!!!...but to be honest i have written to Santa for one so i hope he delivers!!

i would be interested to know if you can complete what i started, without spending too much money!!!

let me know please.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Good evening Stu,

Thank you for your further information - all this key-matching mallarky is beginning to sound like quite an inexact science!

In the interests of furthering our joint knowledge, I bought the key I mentioned, on e-Bay last night for ?10, so if it doesn't work as a platform for my second key - I wont be too much poorer!

I know that it is correct for Touareg Keyless and I know that it operates on the same frequency as my existing key - the only imponderable is whether it will actually communicate with the controller/receiver fitted in my car.

Since last posting, I have learnt that the fob part numbers relate to the car model and the suffix letters denote the model of the receiver/controller fitted in the vehicle - so, it is not only necessary to match the remote type to the vehicle model, but one also needs to match the frequency and the receiver/controller type.

That's before one can look at replacing the transponder and getting the whole thing matched-up and reprogrammed!

When it arrives, I shall see if the e-Bay fob will communicate with my car - if not, I think I might just have to bite the bullet and start shopping around and looking at the dealership/Father Christmas combo!!

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers,

John

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Back to my off topic about why my key has no range.

I found out why this afternoon.

If you extend the key, the range is zilch.

But if you keep the key closed in the fob, the range is great and if you hold it against your head I'm out to 50 yards.

However the moment I extend the key - zilch again!!

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how bizarre!!!

i've heard people on about the head thing before!! seems to amplify the signal.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Stu,
Clarkson did it on Top Gear.
He blipped normally and then against his head,his head acting as some sort of antenna.
He said"If it can do that to a car what is it doing to my brain"
I do it fairly often.
I now have ringing in the ears and the voices are getting louder.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
It's alright . . . you can stop the ringing and the voices by folding the key away!!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Just a very brief update.........well, a bit of a non-update really!

My e-Bay-sourced key arrived in the post today and although it was described as being in 'excellent' condition it is a million miles south of 'excellent'!

Quite frankly it looks as though it has been salvaged from the bottom of a lake - the metal bits are showing signs of rust and on opening it up - the battery is rusty and corroded - needless to say the battery is as dead as only a dead thing can be!

It's obviously been submerged (No, the seller was not from Workington!) since it last saw active service.

I put a fresh battery in it and quite surprisingly the green monitor light actually illuminates (well, it flickers on and off!) but needless to say, it's going nowhere near my treg and I'm chasing for my ?10 back!!

Anyway - I'll keep searching and let you know!!

Cheers,
John.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts