Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Got me a new (to me) Treg! Without going over (too much) old ground, the gear box behaves, there are no rattles and the suspension feels much better, in fact the whole thing just feels tighter and better!!! Really happy with it!!

But (!) keyless entry is not working from either key. No lamp on dash to indicate battery is low. Wary of changing battery just in case it loses programming (?) but have new battery on standby...

Had a search of the site, but cant really find much that I can do myself....

Could it have been disabled using VCDS (or something similar) by the previous owner?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi

Got me a new (to me) Treg! Without going over (too much) old ground, the gear box behaves, there are no rattles and the suspension feels much better, in fact the whole thing just feels tighter and better!!! Really happy with it!!

But (!) keyless entry is not working from either key. No lamp on dash to indicate battery is low. Wary of changing battery just in case it loses programming (?) but have new battery on standby...

Had a search of the site, but cant really find much that I can do myself....

Could it have been disabled using VCDS (or something similar) by the previous owner?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
model/year?

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
544 Posts
From the footer on the OPs post. 2017 R-Line Plus in Black with 258 PS

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is correct, albeit not the same one i had a couple of weeks ago...

:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Need to get it scanned as mine keeps defaulting to rear passenger side handle aerial problem, you can clear the code and it all works ok until you use that rear passenger door again but I'm not that bothered that the kessy doesn't work and £350 for a new handle to cure it is another reason :)

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Way too early to need a new battery.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can't you turn it off in the vehicle settings? You can on the T5, it was one of the first things I did when I got mine.
Far too easy for some scrot to circumvent

·
Registered
265 Posts
Given the problem with your previous Treg, would you not be better to deal with the supplying dealer regarding this issue??? :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't find a setting in the computer... Any ideas?

I take Nooby T's point about battery to soon to fail, but seems like the only thing i can try before taking it to dealer.

Read last night that Kessy in other marques gets disabled automatically if the keyless entry isnt used for a while. Is this true to Tregs or just a red herring?

Might try swapping battery later, although given that both fobs don't allow keyless entry, i suspect it is not the fobs.

If all fails then I will take it into (local VW, not supplying) dealer next week and see what they say. Hopefully it will be covered by VW warranty.

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Why are you messing about with a car that is under warranty? Just book it in and let the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Point taken Nooby T, just trying to avoid a trip to the dealer! I'm happy to change the battery, but more than that, I cant/wont do.

Will let ya'll know how it goes (hopefully you wont see a new thread about being locked out or it failing to start!)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Point taken Nooby T, just trying to avoid a trip to the dealer! I'm happy to change the battery, but more than that, I cant/wont do.

Will let ya'll know how it goes (hopefully you wont see a new thread about being locked out or it failing to start!)

If you've not changed one of the batteries in the key before then let the dealer sort it. They're b******s to change

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think I'll just get it booked in ASAP. Never thought I'd miss keyless entry as much as I do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this replaced on my 2016 TDI Lux. My problems were that the alarm 'chirp' was going off at random times through out the night. No lights. It would also unlock and lock when I washed the car at will. I took it into the VW dealer and they replaced the alarm battery which was about dead and the back door latch. They thought it was faulty and causing the alarm. $1,300.00 later I took it home and it was now worse. I called VW and was ticked! They asked me to bring it in and they would fix it. Unfortunately, I had to go over the weekend to pick up a new 3600 lb. travel trailer 500 miles away. During the trip I noticed that the camper lights would twitch/flash at random times. One time I was standing near the car and the doors locked, unlocked, locked repeatedly all on it's own. It seemed possessed. The Touareg ran great and trip pulling the camper went well. As soon as I got back I took it in first thing Monday morning. I asked "how much is this going to cost me?" They said that they weren't going to talk cost. There were going to get it fixed. This left me nervous but I believed that they were going to cover it since they couldn't diagnose it the first time. I called several times to check in and the first time they told me that they contacted VW USA to explain the symptoms and see what they had to say. VW said that they should replace the master electronic module and see if it fixed the issues. NO. They then proceed to check the door handles. By disconnecting them one at a time they were able to identify the passenger rear handle/antenna as the culprit. So, they ordered the part. It took 3 weeks to get it. It comes unpainted. Once they installed it the symptoms all disappeared. After painting the handle I picked up the car. 6 weeks in the shop!!! I got to drive a 2022 Passat and it felt like my wife's Ford Fusion :( Fortunately there was no charge. The repair would have been around another $1,300.00. They told me that VW was covering it. After all was said and done, I can't understand why they couldn't have checked the handles first. So many cars have this locking type system. How long would that have taken? Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on similar symptoms you may be having and helps you get to the answer faster then my situation.

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Good first post!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my new to me Treg health checked (A ok!), a quick visual inspection to establish if any historical sub standard repair have been carried out (none!) and to diagnose the keyless entry fault.

Keyless entry is not working due to a failed sensor in the driver door handle, which will be replaced under the UA warranty.

Happy days!

And thanks to all those who told be to just leave it to VW - i think i would have lost a few hours of my life fannying around changing batteries.... NoobyT (y)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just had this replaced on my 2016 TDI Lux. My problems were that the alarm 'chirp' was going off at random times through out the night. No lights. It would also unlock and lock when I washed the car at will. I took it into the VW dealer and they replaced the alarm battery which was about dead and the back door latch. They thought it was faulty and causing the alarm. $1,300.00 later I took it home and it was now worse. I called VW and was ticked! They asked me to bring it in and they would fix it. Unfortunately, I had to go over the weekend to pick up a new 3600 lb. travel trailer 500 miles away. During the trip I noticed that the camper lights would twitch/flash at random times. One time I was standing near the car and the doors locked, unlocked, locked repeatedly all on it's own. It seemed possessed. The Touareg ran great and trip pulling the camper went well. As soon as I got back I took it in first thing Monday morning. I asked "how much is this going to cost me?" They said that they weren't going to talk cost. There were going to get it fixed. This left me nervous but I believed that they were going to cover it since they couldn't diagnose it the first time. I called several times to check in and the first time they told me that they contacted VW USA to explain the symptoms and see what they had to say. VW said that they should replace the master electronic module and see if it fixed the issues. NO. They then proceed to check the door handles. By disconnecting them one at a time they were able to identify the passenger rear handle/antenna as the culprit. So, they ordered the part. It took 3 weeks to get it. It comes unpainted. Once they installed it the symptoms all disappeared. After painting the handle I picked up the car. 6 weeks in the shop!!! I got to drive a 2022 Passat and it felt like my wife's Ford Fusion :( Fortunately there was no charge. The repair would have been around another $1,300.00. They told me that VW was covering it. After all was said and done, I can't understand why they couldn't have checked the handles first. So many cars have this locking type system. How long would that have taken? Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on similar symptoms you may be having and helps you get to the answer faster then my situation.
Well props to my local VW dealer, they diagnosed the fault in approx 1 hour.

Thanks for the heads up Joh Nutter!! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts