Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just a little survey if some of you would care to contribute. i am on the key trail again.

i have a 57 reg with a key number of 3D0 959 753 AD

i was wondering what key numbers others have, this is all with a view to trying to program keys again.

i presume that there isn't many numbers for the Treg.

any replies welcome.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Hi stu,

Am I correct in remembering that we have discussed key replacement before?!

My key is numbered: 3D0 959 753S

I ended up getting a replacement from VW for £150 but that was just prior to my engine going up the Swanee so I still haven't had it programmed to the car yet!
In fact, my spare key is still sitting there waiting at Vindis for me to bring treg in for programming!
The programming costs £20 and involves resetting all the keys to the car's computer with a unique code that comes direct from VW in each instance. The new key and existing keys need to be re-programmed together apparently.

No doubt you already know all this anyway!

Cheers,

John.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
3D0 959 753P

·
1,307 Posts
hi yes john i know how the dealers do it, they go online using their software and the SKC which on the Treg if i am not mistaken is a 7 digit code is sent via the computer to the car so that not even the mechanic gets to know the code. great for security!!!

but if you have the SKC you can match and program keys via VCDS, which i have. you can also extract the SKC from the instrument panel using the VAG Commander, but at the moment i don't have enough money for one of those and to be honest i don't think it is worth the money when VCDS can do all you need.

the interesting thing for me is to find out what the numbers are for the keys and already we can see that they are the same apart from the last letters. i know that 3D0 is a Treg/Phaeton key i just wondered how many variations there were and obviously the end letters don't really matter i would say!! the other thing is that our keys have a green LED at the top instead of a red one in the middle like other VW's

anyone know any different or got a number not already mentioned??

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Stu,

I'm sure I remember seeing a list of all the key numbers on vagcat.com but I can't access the catalogue section right now because the site seems to be playing silly buggers.

As I recall - I think there were quite a few variants depending on keyless entry etc etc

Will try again later.

Cheers,
John.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Just looked at parts catalogue, all touareg keys have the same part no. from 2003 to 2010 with the exception of the last letter or letters. There are plenty of letter combinations, chassis no. is still needed when ordering probably for the blade, not sure of the significance of the letters.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help guys it is appreciated!!

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does anyone have a key that ends in AK?? or does this appear in the list of keys for the Treg Chaser?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
does anyone have a key that ends in AK?? or does this appear in the list of keys for the Treg Chaser?
stu, it's one of 8 listed from 2007/8 onward. 4 of them including AK are described as for vehicles with radio remote control central locking, the other 4 being for vehicles with kessy.

accompanying information for each key contains a list of PR(?) numbers which relate to specific equipment on the vehicle, eg. type of central locking and frequency range. If I input my chassis number I can get a list of these PR numbers for my car including one that relates to 'carrier frequency' MHz.

so i guess these suffix letters are to match up keys to the frequency of the vehicles system

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the reply, can i ask where you get the parts list from? it sounds quite a useful piece of kit if it gives information like this!!

·
1,307 Posts
thought i would stick this question here as it all seems relevant to me!!

has anyone ever had a key blade cut??

i bought some genuine blanks from ebay and took them along with my exsisting key to my nearest cutting place. they cut the blank by copying the original, all seems logical to me.

when i changed the blade from old to new it wouldn't go into the ignition!!

does anyone know of any reason for this?? i am going to try and clean it up with a needle file as it seems a bit rough in places, but i don't understand it!!

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
thanks for the reply, can i ask where you get the parts list from? it sounds quite a useful piece of kit if it gives information like this!!
*cough! # *; fleabay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts