Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

just bought v10

8K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  Kingsize K2 
#1 ·
Hi just bought 54 plate v10 and after a short test drive drove home ,on the way home the dash put a message up saying driveline fault workshop, so i stopped and turned every thing off then restarted the car and continued on i had put the suspension in sport and it seemed fine ,i then put it onto comfort and after a few miles it showd up the same problem, does anyone have any ideas ,also when i started it up from cold and moved it around the gearbox /or torque converter whines but this seems to go when warmed up ,is this normal ?any advise welcome thanks Gary

#2 ·
welcome gary, can imagine the worry is spoiling your treg ownership which is,nt good
whats the mileage & how many owners? these are 2 barometers i use when choosing a used car , but irrespective you,ve handed over your £££ & things are,nt as they should be
1)is it a dealer purchase? & if so take it straight back for them to repair the faults or refund you the money
2)warranty / running this sort of car (esp the V10)without mechanical cover is russian roulette with your wallet/just not worth the risk / see okrang,s engine post
3)inspection /if like me you,re not mechanically minded an inspection report (aa/rac)can highlight the main faults you may have missed for relatively small ££
best wishes & let us know how you get on

#4 ·
bought it from a dealer not main one though , have taken out 2 year warrenty with it but these problems exist straight away ,not sure how good the warrenty is they tell me its the gold service which covers all but the usual tyres pads ect ,been out this morning done about 10 mile and suspension light hasnt come on but as before it only seems to do it in comfort mode ,the squeling was not there when i started it up today maybe it need a good run as it might have beeen standing for a while i hope all is ok as its a beast of a car and flies i love it but dont want any probl;ems ,it came with a 138 point rac check as well and the only thing noted was sat nav disc was missing but it was in when i picked the car up ,it is only uk and irland though ,is there a uk/european disc i can get if so where from ,thanks for your welcome and help gary

#5 ·
i would suggest that you find someone from the forum or an independant with VCDS and get the car plugged in to read for fault codes, this should then point you down the right path.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gary, it's a no brainer, you have handed over £K's of you hard earned cash and have clearly bought a car with existing faults. Get it back to the dealer and tell them the same as you've told us. It's up to them to find and resolve the faults not you. I think I would be contacting the RAC as well and ask them why they didn't detect these faults that you found within a few hours of ownership!

#7 ·
#8 ·
Hi Gary and a somewhat belated Welcome.

Agreed with what they ↑ ↑ say. Dealer should sort these issues for you.

Hopefull you're going to podst again with good news.

#9 ·
had agood look around again today as its not always poss with a salesman up your chuff,basically its a sound car but it just has these couple of probs, looked up the warrenty company today ,they dont look so good not regulated according to the net, so will see but as far as you all advise its the dealers probs not the warrenty company as the faults were already there,it has a dvd system fitted into the head rests which seem to play alright but the tv screen in the dash flickers alot ,maybe set up i am not that good with these sort of things ,also how do i set the time on the clock cant find any instructions in the book.also the cd player comes up with cdc error fault on screen ,tried to see if loose conections but not doing anything ,any ideas? also the fan blower sounds like its blowing for england yet the amount of air from the vents is small could itbe a pipe off somewhere has anyone else had this ? sorry to ask all these questions but if i take it to a main stealer i would get my pants taken down, thanks gary

#10 ·
the clock should reset through the MFD menu but that sounds like a breeze compared to the other issues , i,m not that well up on consumer rights but pretty sure that you are entitled to your money back or problems rectified but you only have a set number of days before the car stays yours & the supplier messes you about until you move the car on , hence my philosophy is beware cars with rapid owner changes ,

#11 ·
Hi Gary,
There have been posts recently regarding fan speed and actual outout. General opinion is a replacement pollen filter which hides somewhare under the dash on the passenger side. Search posts using pollen filter, should throw up some pointers

Cheers
Paul

#13 ·
Multi Function Display Menu

#14 ·
When the air is flowing, can you hear any persistent clicking noises or variations in the air flow?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
cant hear a clicking noise but fan blowing really hard ,will try filter 1st ,i need to get tow bar fitted ,anyone recomend one at a reasonable price ,looked at all the normals like witter ect but not really wanting to cut the panel ,i believe the side panels have to come out to do wiring so will get to look at cd conections at same time ,funny suspension seems to have sorted it self out no more warnings ,perhaps being stood didnt do it any good will keep you updated and thanks for the welcome and info Gary

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, sounds like pollen filter - costs about £20.

If you were hearing clicks it would be one of more heater flap servo motors not working - only £60 apiece but £400-500 to pull the dashboard out!

Here's a link on pollen filter repalcement from another site - there are threads and pix on here too.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1610828

As for tow bars, heres' a video of how to

Again use the search facility on here - there was a recent and very detailed thread on bars, balls, towing weights, max caravan widths, fitting, etc..

I can't recommend enough visiting your local VW treg dealer and introducing yourself to the service manager ASAP.

I did in the first week of ownership.

I got a free 1 hour safety inspection, a check on all the recalls [door locks mod had not been done but was undertaken on the spot], a check on the service documentation, 6 pages of the factory build sheets [a V10 like yours will run to 8 I expect!], a wash and vac, a substantial discount offer on labour and parts as the car was over 4 years old and a promise to price match whereever possible to keep the VW stamp in the book [which they have honoured for 18 months thus far so well done VW Windrush at Maidenhead!

#17 ·
Good tip nooby. Couldn't agree more with making contact with your local Touareg Technician - I never bother phoning service reception, just go straight to him.

#18 ·
wow mega info thanks ,will try local vw dealer but i dont think they will be as good as yours but can try i suppose they are all in the same boat as to the recession just leeves the clock adjust ,i have pushed the little button that changes on the dash 12/24 hour but cant seem to change the time with the up down buttons on the steering wheel , manuel dosnt sem to help much ,thanks gary

#21 ·
I still think you should have gone back to the seller.

If your unlucky and end up with a list of faults from the dealer get an estimate for repairs and then consider approaching the seller.

#22 ·
hi ,i do intend to go back to the dealer but i need to be sure of my facts first i will then give them the oportunity to either get a bona fida garage to do the work or agree to pay a local garage my way to do it either way i will want what needs to be done ,done. im not saying they deliberatly sold me a duff car but the suspension warning light came on within half a mile and when i asked how come i was told they only test them around the block,and considering it had had a rac 138 point check and apart from it was missing its sat nav disc all was ok,i know after 70k miles it aint new but i am paying for a good used car and thats all i want ,i think the cars awsome i just want it to stay that way,

#23 ·
Just got car back from chelt vw ,did a diagnostics check which showed lots of faults mainly to do with low battery and low fuel, cleared all faults and road tested ,2 faults remain suspension level sensor and keyless entry ,everything else looks ok they spoke to the warrenty company supplied by the seller and was told that they dont cover electrical issues or wiring! so its back to the seller to sort i hope,got a good deal from main dealer on tow bar so thats booked in for next tuesday, getting to like the car more each day,put it in sport drive this morning and blew a golf gti away from the lights even noticed a touch of tyre squeal,love it,thanks for alls your advise Gary

#24 ·
I know it's up to you but shouldn't you be making sure it's going to be sorted by the seller BEFORE you go splashing any cash on bits for it, let alone bits being fitted to it..?

#25 ·
sorry, but i have to agree with ev!!

and stop being a HOOLIGAN!!! you will get us Treg drivers a bad name!!!...

golf gti's are easy mate, pick on something your own size!!

#26 ·
yes you are correct i should go back before fitting anything which is what i intend to do today, but im not interested in my money back i just want it right do you think after buying and driving one they are going to get it back no way ,as previously posted they are duty bound to fix which is all i want,the only other thing is the warrenty they sold me being useless so i will buy a reputable one,on a beast like this you cant take to many chances ,thanks for the possitive input,right whats the next step up after a golf?

#27 ·
Excellent... Good luck with your dealings with the seller today. I hope they are accommodating and stick to their obligations.. it's great to hear you're so chuffed with your Treg and already attached to it.. Would be good to hear that they address the issues and your perma-smile increases in intensity..

#28 ·
yes good luck with getting sorted out, let us know how it goes!!

hhhmmmm...next thing up from a golf????

how about a supercharged range rover sport!!!...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.