Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is, I suspect, a bit of a simple question. I bought a new iPod but the interface in the glove box doesn't charge the iPod. Upon connection of the unit the display reports that charging is not supported with this accesory.

The VW logo does comes up so I suspect that the interface doesn't support the newer iPod that I now have.
Is there anything that can be doen other than replace the interface?

I'm not sure what the unit actually is but the car is an 06 and second hand to me. I suspect the iPod interface would have been fitted at the time of initial sale as I have the VW handbook for the iPod adapter as its called.

Thanks. Mike

·
1,307 Posts
yes alot of ipod stuff doesnt charge the units and or support newer ipods. you either need to buy a second hand ipod from the likes of ebay that will work with your interface or as you said change the interface. it may also be an option to buy a 12v cigar lighter type charger and save a bit of messing about.

there are plenty for sale on ebay again

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
As stu says ....

I'd suggest changing the interface to a compatible one. If you get one like the xcarlink it will allow you to control the ipod from your head unit and steering wheel controls, which the VW one can't do. (None will display track info from the iPod on the head unit though).

Fairly easy to fit too.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help. I suspected that the interface was the glitch but I do like the external charging kit idea. thanks again Mike

·
560 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I suspected that the interface was the glitch but I do like the external charging kit idea. thanks again Mike
Its all to do what software version you have on your ipod/iphone, Apple are nasty like that they seem to change things so nothing is forward compatible.

I bought an ipod touch for the mrs for xmas, plugged it into the car and it was charging lovely, I did a software update through itunes later that day and now it no longer charges
but

I can recommend one of these, they hold and charge all iphones/ipods and touches with no error messages whats so ever

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350214663584&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I know this as i have one, see below

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7105-centre-console/

·
Registered
4 Posts
As stu says ....

I'd suggest changing the interface to a compatible one. If you get one like the xcarlink it will allow you to control the ipod from your head unit and steering wheel controls, which the VW one can't do. (None will display track info from the iPod on the head unit though).

Fairly easy to fit too.
Has any body fitted the xcarlink ? Is it as good as it sounds ? Also, i believe you can get an optional bluetooth connection with it, has anybody got that as well ?

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Has any body fitted the xcarlink ? Is it as good as it sounds ? Also, i believe you can get an optional bluetooth connection with it, has anybody got that as well ?
I fitted an Xcarlink. It worked fine and was eay to install. As regards controlling the iPod it basically works alongside and as the CD changer. Select CD1 and you play all in iPod CD2 is iPod playlist 1, CD3 is iPod playlist 2 etc... It shows "track no nn" on the head unit display.

Pressing CD on the head unit switches between internal CD, CD changer (if fitted) and iPod.

You can still control the iPod via the iPod controls whereas the VW one disables the iPod controls.

It allows you to have a 3.5mm input as well as the iPod input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fitted an Xcarlink. It worked fine and was eay to install. As regards controlling the iPod it basically works alongside and as the CD changer. Select CD1 and you play all in iPod CD2 is iPod playlist 1, CD3 is iPod playlist 2 etc... It shows "track no nn" on the head unit display.

Pressing CD on the head unit switches between internal CD, CD changer (if fitted) and iPod.

You can still control the iPod via the iPod controls whereas the VW one disables the iPod controls.

It allows you to have a 3.5mm input as well as the iPod input.
Where have you put the unit itself ?

Does it have any bluetooth functionality ?

Thanks for your help !

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I fitted the unit in the center console under the central storage box, feeding the head unit connection lead forwards and up into the head unit. I made a small hole in the bottom of the storage box and passed the iPod lead through so that the iPod was then in the center console when connected.

I fitted the 3.5mm connector into one of the blanks in the back of the console where the rear heated seat buttons would be if the car had them. This allows a back seat passenger to plug an iPod etc in and control the music themselves when the "main" iPod is not being used.

Check the xcarlink website for details but I don't think any bluetooth option is avaialble - just hard wired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sounds great thanks.

were all the leads that come as standard long enough to do what you described ?

Any photos ?

I think i'm convinced and will report back once purchased and installed !

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts