Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have an intermittent fault that is now getting much worse: perhaps someone might kindly be able to help me? If this has already been talked about then I am sorry but I have looked through the forum and it doesn't appear to be so.

Last summer one day whilst I was on a farm track I started the car only for it to immediately warn me that there was something wrong with the transmission. It showed a picture of the 4wd system, without indicating exactly what the problem was, and nor did it say "limp to the dealer" or anything. The only other thing it did was to flash the 4wd system control (the circular one in the centre console down by my thigh). I turned the car off, and then on again, and it was all fine - no warning or anything.

About 3 months later in November it did it again - so again I turned the car off and on again and it was absolutely fine like the first time.

More recently I took the car in to the dealer to get a new key - I had lost one. They said they had had problems with coding it all so they took ages to do it.

Now, after a number of times since then of using the car without this warning, it comes up about once in every three times I turn on the car. I haven't yet had a time where it stays on after you turn the car off and then back on again (although the most recent time it has taken a couple of goes to make the warning go away).

There is no other indication that there is anything wrong with the car at all: no clunking, whining, unusual gear changing or any other unusual noise or behaviour.

Any thoughts? I guess I had better take it in to the dealer. Hopefully this will not be expensive but perhaps someone might be able to forewarn me what's up?

With many thanks.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Sounds to me like a battery fault, be it on it's way out and the cold is helping it, or just isn't keeping a charge.

Do you go on many long drives to recharge..?

Had the same in ours, battery was duff, and giving off all sorts of error messages on the dash, primarily transmission fault lights on dash, and even windows self opening - both typical of a dying battery.

Ours had duff battery and sods law a short on the alternator, so had two visits before fixed, but battery can be fix on your lonesome if you've no warranty.

Don't fret pet, it'll be a simple fix - are you and AA member or VW assist? if so get them out to give the battery a once over to see if it's holding juice.

·
108 Posts
Hi I have the same prob mine is the v10 and it looks like it might br the battery under the drivers seat, if i try to use the push button start all the dash gos out, if i start with the key for the first 10-20 seconds i may get this fault and it wont let me move the gear stick out of park as there is not enuff power for all the control modules when the car has had a short run and a charge then it will start off the push button with no faults. It is going to the stealers next week for the battery to be checked.

·
31 Posts
Can anyone confirm if this was battery related. I had similar probs 2 years ago and had the battery replaced and I am getting similar symptoms again. Should batteries only last 2 years?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts