Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
MDI unit and leads.

I used the Kufatec wiring harness which is a plug and play meaning that no wires need to be cut. It basically uses the Aux in pins and taps off power and switch on signals from the main quadlock wiring plug. Plug one end into the head unit and plug the plug that was in the head unit into the socket on the wiring harness. It comes with a long connection lead for the MDI interface unit which allows the unit to be installed at the rear of the centre console.

Remove centre console as shown on previous posts and thread the connecting lead through to the back of the centre console. Remove the rear console vent assembly by pulling off the trim and removing the 4 torx screws (arrowed). Push the armrest fully forward to make room. Remove the cigarette lighter plug and the vent backlighting plug.

There is a nice space just the right size for the MDI unit at the bottom. Feed the lead from the head unit through here.

I replaced the light in the centre console storage bin with the MDI extension lead. I had to trim a little section from the top of the extension lead socket. By separating the two halves the back of the socket can be fed through the hole where the light used to be and the front part pushed back on to hold it in place when the bin is back in place.

Put the MDI unit in place, connect to the head unit lead and the MDI extension lead and fit the vent assembly back into place, not forgetting to replace the lighting and cigarette lighter wiring plugs.

Only other thing I did was to splice into the Aux wires going back to the head unit and fitted a 3.5mm stereo plug socket in one of the blanking plates where the heated rear seat switch would be. This preserves the Aux in feed and means that a back seat passenger can plug in an iPod and control it themselves from the back when the head unit is set to Aux in.

Part numbers

MDI unit 5N0 035 342B
Extension wire 7L6 035 727
iPod connector (iPod to the socket in the storage bin) 000 051 446 C
USB connector lead 5N0 035 558

·
1,307 Posts
very nice install!! have you bought the MDI of late? i was thinking about buying one so i can use the ipod in conjunction with the head unit controls and get the information in the display too.

is that your RNS 510 fitted now? what firmware and maps do you have on it?

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stu

This kit on eBay is similar - 110510497767 - although it has increased in price by £50 to £199 in the last couple of weeks.

I have the latest firmware and maps - thanks to your good self!

You do get full control and screen info via this unit. The USB lead allows you to connect a portable Hard Drive or USB memory stick too but doesn't give the same genre/playlist etc control as a iPod does. Only thing you don't get is album art but hopefully this might come up in a future firmware update.

·
1,307 Posts
i have just bought a genuine VW ipod kit today whilst at the dealer. i read the instructions and it tells you how to undo the quad lock and what plugs to put where, but mentions a VW special tool to remove one of the single wires from the back of the unit.

i have never had the radio out so was wondering if you could maybe advise me of any such problems when you have been playing with yours!!

i like the idea of using the centre arm rest for the fit instead of the glove box as VW state.

will have to see how long the cables are.

any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
i have just bought a genuine VW ipod kit today whilst at the dealer. i read the instructions and it tells you how to undo the quad lock and what plugs to put where, but mentions a VW special tool to remove one of the single wires from the back of the unit.

i have never had the radio out so was wondering if you could maybe advise me of any such problems when you have been playing with yours!!

i like the idea of using the centre arm rest for the fit instead of the glove box as VW state.

will have to see how long the cables are.

any help appreciated.
I installed the vw ipod connector to our previous polo. This single wire you are talking about is such a pain to remove. Here are some suggestions
http://audiforum.us/rns-e/9532-tool-required-change-wires-quadlock-connector.html

In the end I just scotch-lok it. I blew the fuse a couple of times as well. Make sure you know the radio code before tampering with it.

What an excellent installation

·
1,307 Posts
thanks for the links, very useful

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Thanks Stu

This kit on eBay is similar - 110510497767 - although it has increased in price by £50 to £199 in the last couple of weeks.

I have the latest firmware and maps - thanks to your good self!

You do get full control and screen info via this unit. The USB lead allows you to connect a portable Hard Drive or USB memory stick too but doesn't give the same genre/playlist etc control as a iPod does. Only thing you don't get is album art but hopefully this might come up in a future firmware update.
Just wondering, do you still get access to your 6 cd player after fitting the MDI ?

·
1,307 Posts
no affraid not its one or the other!! the ipod kit goes in place of the cd changer. to be honest i havent used the single cd slot or the changer since i bought the car. i have an sd slot, a hard drive and an ipod...who needs cd's..

i presume a call to VW would get me the radio code as i can't seem to find it with any of the vehicle peperwork?

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wondering, do you still get access to your 6 cd player after fitting the MDI ?
Yes with the MDI unit the CD changer can still work. The MDI signals come in through the Aux in pins not the CD changer pins in the multi pin plug - unlike the VW iPod interface which basically replaces the CD changer.

The only issue is that the Kufatec harness as shown above uses the CD changer control (switch on) on pin 10 as the switch on for the MDI. So in order to get the CD changer to work I spliced a wire to connect both the MDI and the CD changer to pin 10. Easily done in the harness wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yes with the MDI unit the CD changer can still work. The MDI signals come in through the Aux in pins not the CD changer pins in the multi pin plug - unlike the VW iPod interface which basically replaces the CD changer.

The only issue is that the Kufatec harness as shown above uses the CD changer control (switch on) on pin 10 as the switch on for the MDI. So in order to get the CD changer to work I spliced a wire to connect both the MDI and the CD changer to pin 10. Easily done in the harness wiring.
Thanks. I'm still thinking about the MDI, been in touch with a VW dealer, and he was under the impression that you cannot play the CD changer with the MDI interface, Obviously your solution is very neat and simple.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As mentioned above - I also spliced a 3.5mm jack socket in to the MDI/Aux in wires so as to have an Aux in option as well. The Aux in works when nothing is connected to the MDI unit and Aux in is enabled on the head unit. In this way a back seat passenger can plug in an iPod (etc) which they can control from the the back.

All of the options appear on the head unit "Media" menu tabs.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Right I've done it now. Have ordered the MDI unit from Hayselden Doncaster who advertise on ebay for £144 with free p&p. Have ordered the ipod media in cable for £13.50 including p&p. Am intending to thread it to the glove box. Haven't decided whether to get the kufatec harness or not as yet.
If I get stuck might have to pick geraout's brain.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Thanks to geraout's advise re splicing both the CD multichanger and MDI to pin 10 (I used scotch blocks). I can now control most of the functions on the ipod on the RNS 510. I also get the track title etc on the display, and it charges the ipod as well. I threaded the cable to the glove box (There is a cut out for it), and buried the MDI device beside the stereo unit. The biggest problem I had was finding space for the Kufatec quadblock connector. I eventually managed to place it above the MDI device to one side of the stereo. I have kept the CD changer, but have lost the aux feed. I'm now looking for a rectangular grommet so as to tidy up the hole in the glove box. It did take 2-3 hrs. I used masking tape to cover all the outer edges of the radio aperture, and I sellotaped the radio removal keys as well. Consequently there are no scratches

No pictures, because all you see is the ipod cable in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Taken some photos of the MDI cable in the glove box, and the functionality of the RNS 510 with my ipod connected. Didn't bother connecting the aux line in. Used heavy duty fix on strip for the cable, and a grommet strip to tidy up the aperture.

·
1,307 Posts
well i have my MDI kit now too, but cant make up my mind to remove all the pins or buy the kufatec wiring harness.

does it come from germany or is there a UK supplier? it will just save time i suppose.

·
1,307 Posts
well if it's ok with you chaps, i'd like to join the "MDI gang"...

i fitted it this morning, took about an hour all in. i opted for the Kufatec harness especially when i had a look at all the pins that needed to be fitted...
just makes it easier and neater and if required can be removed in a short space of time without ant major dramas!!!.

i fitted the cable in the glove box, and put the MDI box under the dash below the steering wheel, there is plenty of room in there for stuff and it's easy to get at.

anyway i am going for a drive now to play with my new toy..

·
1,307 Posts
just wondering if there is anyway of getting the MDI to play movies via the iPod, or is it still a matter of popping a DVD in the slot to watch a film???

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I do not know. I don't have any videos on my ipod. Maybe geraout knows. I need to have a look at my installation again getting so rattle from the dashboard.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
mmm cherry ghost mr staffs , , , ,good choice in tunes ,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts