Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
To save trailing wiring I installed a power supply into the dash top storage box using an extension / auxiliary power socket spliced in to the power socket in the ashtray. I fitted a Garmin satnav.

Remove centre console and ashtray as shown on previous posts. Remove the radio. It makes it easier to feed the wire through if you remove the switches and climate controller as well although it is possible to feed the wire through without removing them.

I drilled a 10mm hole in the back left of the storage box and fed the extension socket wiring through. The satnav has a traffic antenna lead so I fed this through the hole as well.

I piggybacked the extension leads into the cigarette lighter connector by making up some short connector leads.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I removed the trim under the passenger airbag and fed the traffic antenna behind it.

I removed the sucker part of the mounting and stuck the main part to the base of the storage box using hot melt glue (again so as to be easily removable). This model of satnav has the power lead attached to the mount rather than the unit, so it can stay in place when the unit is removed.

When in use, the storage box cover acts as a shade to better see the satnav screen. The front parking sensor display is still visible and the satnav screen is eyeline view. When not in use the satnav can be removed and the lid closed so nothing is on view and can just be reconnected when required.

If using the factory installed satnav, the power extension can be used for a speed trap detector etc.

Link to extension lead. http://www.extremeautoaccessories.co.uk/show_image.php?img=2_1182875547.jpg (Search for SWALS)

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Nice post.

I have been thinking of doing something similar along with maybe an ipod line in - since the radio is out anyway.

A few questions

What is the cable in the first pic?
Are you connecting straight from the cigarette lighter - do you need a fuse?
How easy is it to get the trim under the airbag - could you remove the lower section where the pollen filter is?

Also, I got ONE OF THESE the other day it drives a Garmin, phone charger and Belkin transmitter from an extension.
It looks a lot neater than the traditional car plugs and will sit in the ash tray even when shut.
I might take some of your guidance and use the USB to avoid some fiddling.

the other issue is that on my 04 T1 the dash bin door is abysmal and takes 3 or 4 attempts to close it flush - up until now I've never used it - I may consider taking the lid off completely.

Thanks for the pics

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the cable in the first pic?

That is the cigarette lighter extension (shown in the link at the end of the post). I used this one rather than one with a plug on as the wires were ready - I just cut off the croc clips.

Are you connecting straight from the cigarette lighter - do you need a fuse?

I've not used a fuse as the croc clip extension doesn't have one. It's protected by the 12v lighter fuse. The power supply connector for the sat nav has a fuse in the connector so I didn't think it necessary. It would be straightforward to install an inline fuse if required though.

How easy is it to get the trim under the airbag - could you remove the lower section where the pollen filter is?

With the radio out you can reach a washer/spire clip on the far right of the back of the trim which you unscrew, then the cover just unclips.

the other issue is that on my 04 T1 the dash bin door is abysmal and takes 3 or 4 attempts to close it flush - up until now I've never used it - I may consider taking the lid off completely.

I took the opportunity to change mine to the later type as I had the same problem. I did notice however when I looked at the old one that one of the cogs in the mechanism had come off. I superglued it back into place and it now shuts a lot better - even when I close by pressing on one side only. It may be worth having a look at yours. The bin has two small screws at the front and just lifts out.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I had already taken the bin out and found that one of the cogs was off and also broken in half

Gluing it back together hasn't really worked - maybe a new one is the simplest solution.

Maybe a project for the summer.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Where's the posts on removing the centre console and ashtray?
Can't seem to find them (I have searched).

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't ind it now either. I think that it referred to this writeup by spockat on another forum.

spockat

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Now updated.

I have replaced the 4.3" Garmin with a 5" TomTom and have updated the post to show it in place. I've found that unlike the Garmin, the TomTom mount allows the unit to be completely folded back while on the mount; allowing the bin lid to be shut with the TomTom still in place.

The TomTom has the same magnetic mount making it easy to remove the satnav without removing any of the wiring.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I ran my TomTom supply cable through the back of the dash using a straightened coat hanger to an auxiliary twin socket that I wired to a spare switched fuse in the left hand fuse box. There's room for the sockets and adapters behind the fuse box so the centre top box just has the trailing mini USB in it plus a trailing audio input, I find it a bit less crowded and neater that way.

The second power feed from the auxiliary socket goes around the side of the windscreen and across to behind the rear view mirror where I have an Xdriven drive recorder like THIS attached. The wires all tuck behind the trim out of sight very neatly.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Geraout - great install - professional looking and discreet

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
UPDATE

Here are some pics of the same install in my T3:

Th cubby is smaller on the T3 so you do have to remove the TomTom before shutting the lid. The mount still folds out of the way though and can stay in place.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
does that not obscure with the cubby lid open?

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I've never has a problem. When open it's no higher than the instrument binnacle.
I suppose when you see I thing the merc or Audi ones where they come up in the middle it is essentially no different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts