Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to say that although there are a lot of people here who disparage the Touareg's satnav, I would just like to say it worked fine for us today.

It took us, without dramas, from Bishop's Stortford to the King's Road in London and then to Regent Street and back. Straight across town, recalculating as it went, I even used the TMC.

I know it hasn't go the full seven digit postcode functionality and all that, but it worked fine. I did have a portable satnav with me (and my phone's satnav on as well) given the reviews of the unit here, but I never used them.

G

·
Hear Hear!

And the extra info on the MFD is a bonus.

And the offroad stuff is clever.

She's taken me down some pretty narrow lanes............but don't they all do that?

Cheers, Andy

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
andynpz said:
What offroad stuff?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
I had a situation yesterday whereby my Tom tom had run it's battery right down and it takes a few minutes to get up and running again.
So I used the car's sat nav.
Painful.
couldn't wait to switch the thing off and get back to jane's dulcet tones.
I'll only use the built in when I'm desperate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nimrod said:
I had a situation yesterday whereby my Tom tom had run it's battery right down and it takes a few minutes to get up and running again.
So I used the car's sat nav.
Painful.
couldn't wait to switch the thing off and get back to jane's dulcet tones.
I'll only use the built in when I'm desperate.
No doubt, but I just felt I'd add a bit of a counter-point to the constant "the satnav is rubbish" mantra.

I drive for a living, gps has been a godsend. I've used many different gps units, they have all given me odd results at time and taken me to strange places, including the ever popular (overhyped? certainly over priced) Tomtom.

All I'm saying is that it does what it says on the tin. OK so entering the address took one step more than on my portable unit, but the integration with the TMC was good, the recalculation (when needed) was very quick and considering the scope for FUBARs crossing London form the north-east to the south-west I was very impressed.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
I guess it's whatever works for you.
Sally at TomTom has led me on some journeys whereby I think this can't possibly be right.
Like yesterday ,I went to Lavenham.
The Vw frau wanted me to stay on main roads,Sally TomTom took me round lovely deserted country lanes,hardly saw another car.I do tend to trust her now.
My simple tomTom,at not much more than a hundred quid beats my VW sat nav hands down.,but I won't knock anyone if the built in suits them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nimrod said:
I guess it's whatever works for you.
Sally at TomTom has led me on some journeys whereby I think this can't possibly be right.
Like yesterday ,I went to Lavenham.
The Vw frau wanted me to stay on main roads,Sally TomTom took me round lovely deserted country lanes,hardly saw another car.I do tend to trust her now.
My simple tomTom,at not much more than a hundred quid beats my VW sat nav hands down.,but I won't knock anyone if the built in suits them.
Yes, you're right. I just have a really annoying thing of not liking market leaders - Tomtom, iphone, etc... all that kind of stuff, I always go for some other brand on principle. Of course there's a reason they are market leaders....

Also, even though the satnav got me across London and back OK, what it doesn't have is safety cameras, which is a pretty big black hole in its functionality.

It was the first time we used it properly and it just seemed to work and the contrast to what so many people on the forums say struck me.

What the hell are the is the difference between the 3 colours of journey again?

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Allow me.

Blue is "quickest" route

Red is "shortest" route

Green is "most economical" route

I have the three routes thing switched off. Why wouldn't you go for the quickest every time?

What does annoy me about the VW prat nav is its seeming inability to determine the difference between a fast dual carriageway and a slow country single lane A-road ... that's why it never takes me up the A34 when I'm going to Maidenhead from Somerset. Instead preferring to route me through Basingstoke.

Grrr!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
plus it always thinks driving through the M6/M5/M54 junction is clear at rush hour :roll:

what I always find strange is, even if you've selected the quickest route, once you go off this route intentionally, when it recalculates the new eta is earlier leaving you questioning how the satnav logic works (or does it at all sometimes)

G

·
Wurzel said:
Allow me.

Blue is "quickest" route

Red is "shortest" route

Green is "most economical" route

I have the three routes thing switched off. Why wouldn't you go for the quickest every time?

What does annoy me about the VW prat nav is its seeming inability to determine the difference between a fast dual carriageway and a slow country single lane A-road ... that's why it never takes me up the A34 when I'm going to Maidenhead from Somerset. Instead preferring to route me through Basingstoke.

Grrr!
Chris,

Maybe it doesn't take the quickest route because you haven't told it that's what you want.

Cheers, Andy

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Ah, were it were that simple.

·
60 Posts
I've used a number of built in sat nav systems over my last few cars...

Jeep Grand Cherokee - dire beyond belief. The controls were difficult to use, and the graphics, for a DVD based system were awful.

BMW 5 Series - Very good, if somewhat difficult to control through "iDrive". Although it had a tendancy to prevent some functions from working, until I had been to a dealer for a "software upgrade". Why a function should work fine, then stop working suddenly until said upgrade is beyond me. This happened about 5 times.

Pioneer AVIC HD1BT installed in a Volvo V70 - very good audio system (probably best I have ever heard in a car, given there were additional amps and speakers involved). Sat Nav was good, but TMC only seemed to work in Europe. Electrically folding down screen was cool. Graphics where very "blocky". One good feature that I miss was a button that allowed you to mute just the directions - handy if you want to listen to a news report on the radio etc.. without being interupted. Unit did feel a bit insubstantial and plasticy - felt like it was easy to break.

Treg Sat Nav - In comparison, very substantial unit, high qulaity build, well thought out menus, and good, easy to read graphics. Buttons easy to see and press - no fiddling about when trying to drive. I've just returned from a 2000 trip around France, and it guided me perfectly, every time. Occasionly, when I wanted some rural roads, I selected the alternative (shortest) route, and I was rewarded with some beautiful lanes. No safety cameras - but I don't tend to speed, and if I get caught, I deserve it. Post Code thing has never been an issue for me, but I can understand other's pain here. The info in the MFD is very useful, and I have not seen this on another car as standard (it was an option on the BMW). Another useful function that I've never seen before is the fact that the TMC will warn you of traffic delays on the road you are traveling on even if it isn't navigating. Got me out of trouble a couple of times.

So, in summary, the VW system is tied first place with the BMW - both very good systems, and both had their own weaknesses.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robster said:
I've used a number of built in sat nav systems over my last few cars...

Jeep Grand Cherokee - dire beyond belief. The controls were difficult to use, and the graphics, for a DVD based system were awful.

BMW 5 Series - Very good, if somewhat difficult to control through "iDrive". Although it had a tendancy to prevent some functions from working, until I had been to a dealer for a "software upgrade". Why a function should work fine, then stop working suddenly until said upgrade is beyond me. This happened about 5 times.

Pioneer AVIC HD1BT installed in a Volvo V70 - very good audio system (probably best I have ever heard in a car, given there were additional amps and speakers involved). Sat Nav was good, but TMC only seemed to work in Europe. Electrically folding down screen was cool. Graphics where very "blocky". One good feature that I miss was a button that allowed you to mute just the directions - handy if you want to listen to a news report on the radio etc.. without being interupted. Unit did feel a bit insubstantial and plasticy - felt like it was easy to break.

Treg Sat Nav - In comparison, very substantial unit, high qulaity build, well thought out menus, and good, easy to read graphics. Buttons easy to see and press - no fiddling about when trying to drive. I've just returned from a 2000 trip around France, and it guided me perfectly, every time. Occasionly, when I wanted some rural roads, I selected the alternative (shortest) route, and I was rewarded with some beautiful lanes. No safety cameras - but I don't tend to speed, and if I get caught, I deserve it. Post Code thing has never been an issue for me, but I can understand other's pain here. The info in the MFD is very useful, and I have not seen this on another car as standard (it was an option on the BMW). Another useful function that I've never seen before is the fact that the TMC will warn you of traffic delays on the road you are traveling on even if it isn't navigating. Got me out of trouble a couple of times.

So, in summary, the VW system is tied first place with the BMW - both very good systems, and both had their own weaknesses.
Nicely objective report. As you say the finish and user interface on the Treg unit is good. I've also used the units on BMW (the iDrive is a [email protected] to get used to!), Maseratti (oooollllllddddd skool) Renaults, Chryslers (bad) and others. Got to say the VW unit seems as good if not better than most. I think the problem is that all GPS units (third party as well) have their idiosyncracies, any quick look on dedicated forums will show that.

Going to Cornwall in a couple of weeks, we'll see how it fares.

G

·
Palexr][QUOTE="Wurzel said:
andynpz said:
What offroad stuff?
The compass?
[/quote]

I was really referring to the facility to mark and save waypoints on an offroad trip for a return by the same route. Or saved waypoints can be used to construct a tour. Not, I admit, very necessary in the Cotswolds! But could be helpful if you're in unfamiliar countryside and it's a feature you don't find on all aftermarket GPS systems.

Cheers, Andy

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Got to say, I am in praise of it too

The VW sat nav has only let me down once (it is the original CD based one) in that it keeps trying to get me to turn right in the middle of a bridge on Preston's Road in Canary Wharf - apart from that, it's never let me down.

I just like the fact its so well integrated with the map on the console, the MFD, the nice clear directions and the slightly strict Private School Mistress voice that just sounds right for a German car. Sounds even more 'Max Moseley' in German

Not that it's perfect - I use a Sony Nav-U for european travel and it's streets ahead in terms of the extra info it shows. But the most important thing against the Nav-U is I find the way it gives the directions confusing and it's ALWAYS losing its signal - I'm still recovering from the impromptu tour of the seedier parts of downtown Ghent when it kept losing signal earlier this year :roll:

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
andynpz][quote name= said:
Ah' date=' were it were that simple.[/quote']

I'd be interested to know why you think it's not that simple.

Cheers, Andy
You suggested that perhaps I simply hadn't told it that I wanted the quickest route, Andy. I had. I was just saying that I wished the answer was as simple as that.

Chris

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
andynpz said:
I was really referring to the facility to mark and save waypoints on an offroad trip for a return by the same route. Or saved waypoints can be used to construct a tour. Not, I admit, very necessary in the Cotswolds! But could be helpful if you're in unfamiliar countryside and it's a feature you don't find on all aftermarket GPS systems.

Cheers, Andy
Yes, now that is good. I hadn't really twigged it would do that.

G

·
Chris, Sorry, just a possibility because I thought you said you hadn't checked any option colour. I have the earlier RNS2 and the way it works, one option has to be checked.

Dunno, then

Cheers, Andy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts