Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am importing a treg from Japan - 2006 - and need to convert the speedo clocks to miles rather the kms it currently has. Does anyone know where to buy a new facia or new clocks at a resonable price? Also do you know if they need to be coded to the car and can the mileage be updated to reflect its true miles?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Would suggest a breakers yard to get a comparable year/mileage set of dials. Plenty advertise nationally and on eBay. A VW dealer will no doubt charge you an arm and a leg but you will get a certified mileage/verifiable documentation at the install date (usefull come resale).

I'm sure you can find someone who will do mileage adjust via the internet but you run the obvious risk of using the services of these individuals

Probably not need to code the new MPH dials to the car but if you have to, no doubt a simple job with a VAG.COM or dealer could do it.

As ToyBoy says, intersting you are importing one. Must have got a good deal

Cass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cass said:
Would suggest a breakers yard to get a comparable year/mileage set of dials. Plenty advertise nationally and on eBay. A VW dealer will no doubt charge you an arm and a leg but you will get a certified mileage/verifiable documentation at the install date (usefull come resale).

I'm sure you can find someone who will do mileage adjust via the internet but you run the obvious risk of using the services of these individuals

Probably not need to code the new MPH dials to the car but if you have to, no doubt a simple job with a VAG.COM or dealer could do it.

As ToyBoy says, intersting you are importing one. Must have got a good deal

Cass
Cass - yup have got a great deal on one with a better spec. I have tried breakers but wasn't so sure but I think your point on the certified mileage and documentation will seal the deal.
Cheers Giles

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
giles][quote=ToyBoy said:
Interesting! Why are you importing one?
I have got a cracking deal on one! Spec is higher too!!
[/quote]

Well done indeed, Sir

We'll always give a virtual cheer for a great deal, Giles! Spill the beans, give us the gory details! What you got? How much, etc.? There are some good deals flying around here, so be good to know your story.

Chris

·
104 Posts
You could try and find someone in Ireland with a pre Km/h speedometer who would like to switch.

We swithched on the 20th January 2005 so any car before that is MPH.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I use an Origin B2 speed camera device as a large digital speedo placed in front of the existing speedo but I don't know if that would satisfy the DVLA as it relies on satellite technology.

But I know you can get other digital speedos which take a feed off the car's feed to the existing speedo and such a device would mean you don't have to change the current speedo so you'd keep the distance integrity albeit in kms.

·
400 Posts
i may be wrong, but isnt it the case that the mileage is stored in the ecu / other location and when the dials are changed it will still show the correct mileage ??

I havnt done it but i think you use vag.com / dealer to tell the car your changing the "Dash Panel Insert" and then replace it??

Maybe a PM to tregtech will help you.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
If you change the clocks, then it is possible to get the new ones and the ECU programmed with the verified mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
giles said:
Hi - I am importing a treg from Japan - 2006 - and need to convert the speedo clocks to miles rather the kms it currently has. Does anyone know where to buy a new facia or new clocks at a resonable price? Also do you know if they need to be coded to the car and can the mileage be updated to reflect its true miles?
Thanks in advance!!
Hi Giles. Just had a thought. There are quite a few japanese car import dealers around. Why not contact one of them? I'm sure they're use to doing this sort of thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts