Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I want to be able to plug into my '07 V10 to clear faults, change some settings, etc that so many of you seem to do so proficiently. However, I have no idea what I need to buy. I did a vagcom search on eBay but there were so many types and prices that I got confused.

Please tell mw what I need and what I should expect to pay.

Thanks.

·
203 Posts
the best place to buy vagcom (or vcds as its now known)is from gendan automotive. its the genuine package not the cheap ebay version that doesn't give you the full ability. heres the link
http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCMC.html
you will need a can bus lead and then you can download it from ross tech
good luck
sean

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. tbh, i hadn't realised it would cost over ?250. might have to put that on hold, unless someone can suggest a cheaper alternative.

·
1,307 Posts
dom there isnt a cheaper alternative!!! the things listed on ebay are not upgradable and if you connect them to the internet they tend to go pete tong!!

you will obviously need a laptop too which i presume you have already.

the following link will show you all the official suppliers in this country, good luck.

http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Just my 2p but I bought a genuine cable from ross tech through a uk outlet and it paid for itself in the first week. (they also fit better into the socket)
I personally feel that its worth supporting the brand by buying genuine as this intern will only strengthen the aftersales performance.

It really is a great bit of kit.

(a small piece of info on their site made me laugh though---It states "do not do output tests on air bags" !-) )

·
203 Posts
buzzard said:
(a small piece of info on their site made me laugh though---It states "do not do output tests on air bags" !-) )
I thought it was safe to do output tests on air bags, but only with your face pressed firmly on them
) .I can imagine explaining that one to a customer ."well sir as you know your airbag light was on so we decided to test them ,when the tech regains conciousness and his hearing we'll see what he thinks. "

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
dssean said:
i thought it was safe to do output tests on air bags, but only with your face pressed firmly on them
) .i can imagine explaining that one to a customer ."well sir as you know your airbag light was on so we decided to test them ,when the tech regains conciousness and his hearing we'll see what he thinks. "
lmao........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts