Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a cable for the centre arm rest so i can plug and i-pod in, is this a dealer only cable or will a cheap one from the likes of ebay do the same job?

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply kaine, i shall buy one from ebay then...

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Just bought this for ?6.99 including postage direct from Alphasonix:

http://alphasonix.com/shop/category_2/i ... =cid%3D%26

Works fine and also has a 12v adaptor (not shown in item pic) to link to the mini USB contact which also enables in car charging

The Alphasonix kit allows you to use the RNS 510 audio controls whereas a simple 3.5 jack pin lead may not, you might have to control the volume from the iPod itself (with limited volume function). You still need to manually switch the iPod on and choose your music/playlist (unfortunately no atrist/album/track info is displayed) but it's handy to tuck it away in the armrest cubby and use the car controls to control the volume.

I'd recommend it and some previous comments here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7189

Cass

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that Cass.

·
224 Posts
I did mine a couple of weeks ago and paid ?6.99 from ebay. Plugs strait into the rear of my RNS2 stereo. I fed my cable into the dashboard top push open storage bit (if ya know what i mean) I leave my ipod running and it cant be seen. will post some pics on hre tomorrow afternoon for you to look at if you want.

well pleased with the quality of sound. Obviously it's not DC quality but its good enough for me.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought just a cheap (less then ?3) cable from ebay in the end. It plugs into the jack socket in the centre arm rest and has an i-pod plug on the other end. the sound quality is good enough for my cloth ears and i can adjust the volume from the steering wheel. i have an i-pod classic which i put on shuffle and away we go...

·
224 Posts
Great stuff, i have to have my ipod volume on full to be able to get a descent sound out of it. I run both Ipod classic and the iod touch from mine and i'm pleased enough. Have attached a pic of the mine.

just shows that if your not that fussy then you don't need to spend a fortune.

Enjoy

CIMG4310.JPG[/attachment:1a6trg7g]

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like a nice tidy job you have done there. i was lucky and had a jack in my arm rest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a great solution and a neat installation. My CD changer has had its day, so the i-pod would be a better than replacing the changer. Is the installation reasonably straight forward, my '54 Treg does not have a jack on the sat nav/radio unit? I have an aux button on the display unit, so is it just a case of removing the unit and plugging in the cable, and then routing the cable to the dash storage box?
Thanks
Dave

·
224 Posts
Yes mate it's as easy as that. How did you get on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts