Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I recently purchased a dvd/sat nav/bluetooth aftermarket headunit. I am looking for the best place to put the mic. I'm presuming the best place would be next to the roof panel where you put your sunglasses?

Question is, what is the best way to get the cable down to the headunit? Sounds like a stupid question, but the treg is built like a tank, so I don't want to pull half the dash apart if I don't have to?!!

I have managed to push the cables along the inside trim of the top of the windscreen and down the side panels where the windscreen airbag is, but where to go from here?! How do I take out the glove box?

I've also got a tv aerial, I was thinking of putting that on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror (so I can run that cable at the same time as the bluetooth mic) Is that the best place for it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Glovebox? you don't want to go there, you would have to remove all the lower dash.

Try removing the trim from the A pillar (prise out the airbag emblem then undo 1 bolt) plus the dash panel end trim and drop the footwell cover. Hopefully there will be a suitable way to run the cable between these areas and on to the rear of the head unit.

·
13 Posts
Hi,

Removing the glovebox isn't actually that hard to do. There are a few screws and a bit of trim then you can pretty much get a BT unit in there, so a cable's pretty easy (my car has a aftermarket BT unit fitted in the space around the glovebox. The mic can be routed up the A pillar trim, it's a pain to get off but it will come off ok. There is normally a factory fitted mic in the overhead console, the guy who fitted my kit had to use it as it's a different shape to the one that came with the kit he was installing. It's all reasonably straightforward to do if you take your time. The bit I wouldn't attempt on my install is where he had to break into the loom and solder in wires .... but it works really well and no mic on show ... plus voice control that actually seems to work.

·
2 Posts
ijd2009, can you take a photo of the OEM microphone panel and how it sits in the overhead console ? It seems that the Australian Touaregs are missing that microphone location/trim piece. If you could take a photo of the whole console and a photo of the part number for the trim piece, I'd really appreciate it. I need to see where all of this goes and what the part number is for the missing trim piece (if it is indeed missing). I haven't had a chance to look for myself yet.

I see in the previous photos you submitted that the trim piece is grey and that it contains 2 white circular inserts. I can't quite make out the part number of that trim piece, so if you could list it, that would be great. Also, if the white inserst have a part number, could you please list that too ?

I hate to be a pain, but there is nothing on the web but your posts and a couple of descriptions.

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
You don't need to go via the glove box IIRC. When I did mine I took off the side panel to the dash assembly ( i.e. the cover for the fuses and passed the mike cable along inside without any difficulty.

·
2 Posts
Never mind. The cover at the front, as shown in your photo, exists on all Touaregs. I had a look at a Touareg quickly and discovered that there is an insert available that holds the microphone. Part number is 7L6 858 691 A. Fits in the left hand circular slot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts