Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this is a US site, but there are some good instructions and pictures of how to do quite a few things for yourself rather than pay dealer prices for quite simple fixes such as fitting a new battery, coil packs, brakes and so on.

I have now got in touch with the original poster after the main link I originally posted had failed so this post was edited again on 26/052009 with a new link which takes you to the coil pack change but also gives you, across the top of the page, the menu of all the tips on offer:

http://web.me.com/airtahoe/Touareg/Coil_Packs.html

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
What a great website- I liked the extra tips such as when changing a battery:

"Plug in a jump pack or jumper cables to your power socket under the hood to maintain voltage while you remove the battery. These will help to persevere your menu settings and prevent the computer from needing a possible reset. "

I would never have thought of that (and would have ended up deleting all my settings..)

Cas

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't spotted the "plug in" bit so that really is an excellent tip.

On a previous Beemer I had a persistent problem which required several visits to the workshop and every time I had to retune the radio, etcetera, as the battery was disconnected each time. The first few miles driving home were spent swearing away and trying not to hit the back of the car in front as I fiddled with the radio. Yes, yes, I know, I should have done it before I left the garage!

Interestingly, at a Porsche garage, the mechanics were trained to write down the radio stations and retune the car to those if they had to disconnect the battery for any reason . . . and God help anyone who returned the car to the customer with it tuned to Radio 1 at full blast - unless that had been the customer's choice of course!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope no one minds me "bumping" this to keep it at the top as there are some useful DIYs.

I must ask Kaine if he'll sticky it.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EBC is rated on other car sites too.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After posting the link to the DIY maintenance at the start of this thread, I would lke to add the following.

If you do work on your vehicle, for goodness sake please make sure that what you do is done correctly whilst using the right parts and tools and - above all else - that your vehicle is safe to use.

Nigel Gresham, a Land Rover enthusiast, did his own work on his car.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... 2315182507

He didn't set out to kill anybody that fateful day: it was meant to be a happy day out with the family, but 4 of his children drowned when something broke on his bodged-up car while driving a bit too fast in the prevailing circumstances and the combination of both damage and speed rolled the car into a deep Fenland waterway.

Nigel Gresham is now in jail and his long term partner has, perhaps understandably, left him.

So, please, if you don't REALLY know what you are doing on safety items such as brakes, steering or suspension, get an experienced friend to help and check your work, or get a garage to do it. Saving a few quid is not worth anyone's life, let alone 4 little kids.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
s4treg said:
That first link is now invalid !!!!!!
Now fixed - please try again.

I have now got in touch with the original poster after the main link I originally posted had failed so this post was edited again on 26/052009 with a new link which takes you to the coil pack change but also gives you, across the top of the page, the menu of all the tips on offer:

·
127 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've contacted the original poster on another site and will have to wait and see if he gives me the new location.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Always make sure your vehicle is safe to drive after you have worked on it. If you are not sure, use a garage!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Always make sure your vehicle is safe to drive after you have worked on it. If you are not sure, use a garage!
Link is dead.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Seems you need an iCloud account to access it. Not into that.

Having just done the spark plugs on both, please note that the coil pack pullers for the V6 are different from the V8 as the whole assembly is different. Please get the right tool for the job. Yes, I suppose you can get some sort of pliers to grab and yank, but it's also very easy to damage them.

On the post of the Land Rover, stories like that, alas, are legion. A friend of mine, a cop to boot, had a Durango R/T. He was impressed with my mods (especially the Shaker scoop, wheel base extensions etc.) and wanted to put a blower on it. I cautioned him to work on the brakes (change them all to at least 4 piston calipers and perform all the other safety mods to handle the increase in hp). Alas, he wanted to blower first. He responded to a call and flipped the car on the H1 freeway and, not wearing a seat belt, was killed instantly. USE COMMON SENSE, whether modifying or working on your car. Use, jacks and wheel chocks not simply a jack and use the right tools for the job! SAFETY COMES FIRST!

siberian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts