Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title amended as in the second post there are clear directions on how to remove your headlamp units.

See also the useful tips in the other posts below
WD40 application the day before you start for example!
Make sure you have got the right tool in your VW Treg toolkit to wind the lamp units out.
Get the RIGHT bulb types from the handbook and NOT the Halfords chart in their store beside the bulbs!

This was my original post:

I want to upgrade my 4 headlamp bulbs [non xenon] with Philips +80%. My son's just bought some for his Volvo and the difference is well worth having.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-phi ... 16782.html

The Treg handbook [Page 75] tells me to go to the garage! Fat lot of good that is if you are in the middle of nowhere with duff headlamps!

I thought I had seen something on this issue on this site but I cannot see it now I need it, so any help will be gratefully received!!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
When you do it give it a good spray of WD40 or similar a day or soo before you attempt

It just helps to loosen.

You also need a long screwdriver to push dowm the last safety clip before it pops out

HTH

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buster - thanks for the tips.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hi,
On my very old '53 reg treg. the bulbs are different for the dip and full beam. I bought a set of phillips X-treme bulbs and was able to change the dip beam only. When you're cranking the headlight out be careful not to strip the thread, and it's a bit of a bugger trying to decide when the headlight unit is fully locked in afterwards.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Staffs

I wasn't sure from your post why could you only change the dip beam.

Was it because you had not bought the right type of bulb for main beam or was there a problem with the Philips bulbs?

Thanks for the stripping tip!

Cheers

·
350 Posts
Can you let us know how you get on and how much improvement the new bulbs make as it's something I've been getting around to doing for a while......

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Staffs

I wasn't sure from your post why could you only change the dip beam.

Was it because you had not bought the right type of bulb for main beam or was there a problem with the Philips bulbs?

Thanks for the stripping tip!

Cheers
Hi,
they were different bulbs altogether,despite what it says in the halford's light manual. The phillips bulbs seem brighter than the originals.

·
165 Posts
Sirs,
Fitted a set of the latest Philips Extreme bulbs in the dipped beam of my 07 two weeks ago. Must say I'm dissaponted as there is little discernible improvement. Have done quite a bit of checking and found it impossible to get improved spec bulbs for the main beam as they are an odd fitment.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I originally bought a set of phillips xtreme bulbs for my wife's Eos, and it made a dramatic difference (changed both dipped & main beams). The lights were ok in the treg even before the upgrade.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bulbs could be up to 5 years old anyway - I bought the car secondhand so have no way of knowing if they have been changed or not - and they're not that great when the roads are wet so for what it costs, I've nothing to lose really and nearly everyone who has fitted the Philips give very good reports including folk on another Treg site and my son who put them in an S50 Volvo. I will do one side first and then compare the light output. I know that will be subjective, but that's OK by me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts