Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Ideally you should only do this with the aid of a proper headlight beam setting tool . . .

First you will need to remove the black plastic engine covers on each side of the engine bay [if fitted!].

There are two lateral adjustment screws and one vertical adjustment screw on each headlight unit.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Rectangle Parallel Font

The diagram above is the lateral [side to side] headlight adjustment
for the NEARSIDE headlight.

1 - Low beam lateral adjustment
2 - High beam lateral adjustment

Turn the low beam lateral adjustment screw - 1 - and the high beam lateral adjustment screw - 2 - until the correct settings are achieved.

Gesture Font Elbow Parallel Rectangle

The diagram above is the vertical headlight adjustment

1 - Vertical headlight adjustment for both the low beam and the high beam [you cannot adjust these independently]

Turn the vertical adjustment screw - 1 - until the correct settings are achieved.

The lateral adjustment screws on the right-hand headlight are a mirror image of those on the left.

When you have made any adjustments, check that both headlights work evenly when operating the knurled headlight range control knob on the dashboard.

Replace the black plastic engine covers [if fitted] when you are satisfied the lights are correctly adjusted.​

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old post now, but I was wondering whether you still had the photos to this guide?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I've put the diagrams in again - note these are for the nearside headlight.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know [chaser will!] which way to turn the adjusters to move the lights towards the nearside [my main beam have always been too offside biased and after 5 years it's time to fix them!].

The diagrams above show the nearside headlight: do you turn the adjusters clockwise or anticlockwise to move the beam towards the nearside?

And which way do you turn them for the offside headlight - is it the same direction or is it different?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUMP!

Anyone know the answers please?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP AGAIN! Surely SOMEONE must know whether to turn the screws clockwise or anti-clockwise?!

·
Registered
634 Posts
try it with the lights on, projected against a wall

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually quite hard to see the difference like that until you have turned too much. Part of the problem is the adjusters get brittle with the heat generated by the headlights and easily snap as the construction of the adjusters, which are taken through a convoluted route, easily break so I'd rather turn it knowing I am going the right way from the outset.

·
6,288 Posts
Take them out and do it on the bench?

Silicone them whilst out....

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Spot on Loz on both counts.

I had both units out to throw away the LED side lights - waste of time and money - and refitted 501 incandescents [I couldn't find an acetylene version.]

I replaced the broken adjuster and lubed everything [again] whilst I was at it ready to do the business on the bench [I've now got the headlight out routine down to under 15 seconds from lifting the bonnet!] when someone tells me the direction to turn the ruddy screws!

Turning the adjusters whilst they are in the car was what snapped the fragile plastic in the first place as they get brittle.

If you look at the way they are made you can see that the plastic surrounding the adjuster shaft is just too flimsy for the kind of forces [which aren't huge anyway!] needed to turn the small adjusting cogs.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did find the correct way to turn the adjuster, but have since lost the piece of paper I wrote it all down on!

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clockwise to raise then!

Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts