Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles to the gallon? on average!

this poll is not engine specific - so the results will include V6 Petrol, V8 Petrol, 2.5Tdi, V6 3.0Tdi and the V10 Diesel engines

·
60 Posts
Hi Kaine,

Do you know what the average MPG for the 2.5 tdi is? I'm getting around 25 around town. I'm doing 12 miles per day, 6 miles to work and 6 back. Does this sound good in your experience or should I be shouting at the dealer asking for my extra few mpg?!

Thanks ohh font of all knowledge

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Danny - I'd say 25mpg is fine - members tend to report anything between 24-30mpg on average - all depending on style of driving etc. 25mpg around town would be pretty good - a good test would be to measure how it performs over a long run - I used to get around 27-30mpg on a long motorway run

Kaine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got 26.2 mpg on run from London back to Bournemouth in my V10.

Not bad at all really for 5.0 litres. Shame that stooging around locally almost halves that ;(

G

·
Regularly average 28 mpg on my short commute. The 2.5, like most engines I guess, is far more economical once warmed up. Early trip it will hover around 21 but then average 28 on a typical trip. Got almost 32 mpg average on a trip from Cornwall to the Midlands a few weeks back, not bad for an auto.

Hired a 1.8 Mondeo in Scotland last week which only did 33mpg on A roads with steady driving (speed cameras everywhere and traffic)...... that was surprising and great ammunition for use against the anti-4x4 lobby!

·
Registered
207 Posts
According to the trip computer I've averaged 20.4mpg over the last 2900 miles. Significantly more than the 19.3mpg manufacturer's claims and pretty decent for a 4.2 V8 that has a short commute to work each day...

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Danny said:
Hi Kaine,

Do you know what the average MPG for the 2.5 tdi is? I'm getting around 25 around town. I'm doing 12 miles per day, 6 miles to work and 6 back. Does this sound good in your experience or should I be shouting at the dealer asking for my extra few mpg?!

Thanks ohh font of all knowledge
Danny I have a 2.5tdi and I would say 25mpg fora journey like yours is good.
Like kaine I get 30 on a good motorway run.
Mixed motoring I get 27 or so and I am fairly gentle driver

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Hipflyguy][quote=Nimrod said:
I am fairly gentle driver
Ha ha ha.... Nimrod, are you some kind of Albanian Refugee..?

It's like Mrs. Doubtfire.....

I am job.
[/quote]

How dare you insult Albanian.
I challenge you to duel.
Pickled gherkins at dawn.
And that's not breakfast invite.

·
400 Posts
Highest = 25 over 130mile round trip
Lowest = 17 City driving
Average is 19 - 20 everyday

Remember: You cant take your money with you.... :shock:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
jsmills said:
Highest = 25 over 130mile round trip
Lowest = 17 City driving
Average is 19 - 20 everyday

Remember: You cant take your money with you.... :shock:
I agree chap you can not take it with you

10- 20 depending on how clear the road is

·
656 Posts
just done a round trip from south wales to heathrow and back. 310 miles with cruise control set to 70 all the way (more or less). Averaged 30.1mpg. I think i could easily improve on that if i didn't use cruise control.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My fuel ecomony has been suprisingly good- I bought the Touareg to tow a caravan (a 1750kg twin axel jobby) which I took to Wales and left there for the summer- driving there each weekend.
On the long run there it would do about 28.5mpg- with an all time best of 29.7mpg, after 2 days of short runs into town and the beach etc the average drops to 26.5mpg and then by the time I get home the full 500 mile round-trip averages about 28mpg.
I have not reset the long-term trip which is showing an average of 26.2mpg- so I guess the town driving in the wek is killing it.
Towing is another story- when I took the caravan there it was on the back of a 2.5TDI which averaged 22mpg (and a 6 hour journey time as there was a crash..)- last weekend I brought the caravan home for the winter in 4 hours 10 minutes and averaged 20.2mpg (but I was flying as the best time I have ever done the same route without the caravan is 3 hours 50 mins).

Regards Cas

·
656 Posts
Hi Cas,

I tow too. My long term average over 8000 miles is 30.2mpg after towing for 700 miles also.

As a matter of interest, where did you keep your caravan over the summer? I often take trips further west with the caravan, so wondered if you were one of the tregs i've seen on sites.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
We left the caravan at a small site near Cardigan:

http://www.blaenwaunfarm.com

It is in a very scenic spot and I must admit the drive there is usually great- some nice dual carriageways around Shrewsbury for overtaking (even with a caravan in tow?), the drive over the mountains near Llangurig gives the tip-tronic selection and brakes a good work-out and the last part along the A487 next to the coast is picturesque.

I will miss going there this weekend- I will have to take the Touareg to Buxton or Bakewell on Sunday to blow the cobwebbs of it

Regard Cas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.