Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you pronounce Touareg.

It seems there are a few different ways, I pronounce it Tour-reg, my dealer says Twa-reg, my mate says Tow-reg.
The un initiated call them toerags, but they're just jealous.

·
135 Posts
CovRob said:
Twa - regg (as in egg)
Me too. Twa - regg.

Although sometimes I call her 'Kirsty'. The name my Grandfather always called his car, particularly when she was labouring to start or toiling during an overtake manouvere. As in "C'mon then Kirsty, dad has nae time to be bu**ering aboot"

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I pronounce it "touregg" to most people - La Wurz tells me that "twaregg" sounds pretentious. A bit like pronouncing Paris as "paree".

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Wurzel said:
I pronounce it "touregg" to most people - La Wurz tells me that "twaregg" sounds pretentious. A bit like pronouncing Paris as "paree".
That's just plain wrong Chris, Wrong wrong wrong..... Twah-reg every day of the week, just like the nomads in Africa... (+ an o)

For ease I go with T Reg.... or Dave

·
240 Posts
Too - ah- reg, like the Malian nomadic tribe.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
My 10 yr old calls it the big fat car.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
My other half insists on calling it the "JEEP", she knows it winds me up

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I say toor-egg. I agree with Mrs Wurzel and feel a bit self conscious with Twaaa-reg !

·
83 Posts
It has got to be "tour-egg" just how VW pronounce it. Seems to make sense to me, rather than how nomadic tribes that are spelt differently are pronounced.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Twah-reg

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
i,m with dearda on this one , ,"twa reg" would be fine with a cravat & smoking jacket , neither of which i have ,
"tour egg" is much more my line , + the arse at VW who sold it me kept using the twa & it annoyed me , sounded pretentious , , sorry

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Isn't mispronouncing a word because it sounds pretentious . . . er . . . um . . . a tad pretentious?

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
My 5 year old keeps asking me when we are getting a ToeRag, because I jokingly called them that when I was telling him about them last year.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I'm with Tow-Rag because you can do both!

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Tug

·
717 Posts
I used to have a Xantia when it was first released. It was great listening to the proles trying to pronounce it.

Now I have the same youthful giggles when people try to pronounce Touareg.

Its Twa-reg, as the nomad tribe of North Africa. Not to educate people when they mis-pronounce it is a shameful act, deserving a visit from the grammar police and removal of said wheels from your possession.

We are listening to you!!!!

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
sorry NT , can,t mispronounce something that has,nt a definitive pronounciation , differs wherever or whoever in the world says it
wikepedia / german car , german pronounciation / tu areg
twa reg tour egg / potato patato/tomato tamato
whatever works & makes you happy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts