Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My treg seems to be attracting wildlife like no other car I have had in my entire life. 6 months ago I hit a pheasant on the M1 which done some internal damage to the front bumper on right hand side but luckily no external damage.

Two weeks ago on the way to Heathrow 05:30 in the morning a pigeon landed on the A11 and bang, splat. Got to Heathrow and get the dreaded 2 red lights for the front parking sensors. Cleaned the blood and feathers off with a wet wipe, and could not see any visible damage. Turned the car off, locked it, unlocked, re-started and still get the dreaded 2 red lights.

I am now sitting here looking at the manual on how to replace the front sensors and thinking, (a) do I purchase a diagnostic tool confirm which sensor it is (although I am confident it would be the one where the pigeon hit the bumper) and replace it myself or (
take it the stealer and just get them to do it.

The reason I have this dilemma is simply because there is no visible damage, and to be honest I would expect the sensors to be more robust considering their location on the car (stone chips, etc).

I am also thinking that a parking sensor replacement should be a very quick job and probably a regular job for the mechanics so by the time I have bought the diagnostic tool and then purchased a replacement sensor and seal and mucked about in the garage am I really saving anything

Thoughts / other peoples experience???

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I don't see why you would need a diagnostic tool. You know where the pigeon hit from the muck you cleaned upso it's more likely to be the two in that area.

Buy two sensors and replace one at a time to see if any of the red lights go out. Worst case scenario is that you will pull all 4 of the existing ones! But more likely you'll do the right two first time.

However, so much easier to get a dealer to do it!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Sensors are £65 + VAT each !!

I replaced a front mid left a month ago - my mate squeezed in under the mini grills below the bumper but easy is not the word.
I also tried to remove the front bumper but it is quite tricky - I will be trying again today because my sensors have gone AWOL with possibly a short.

So JBS - you may have a broken sensor or a loose connection or ...

I would suggest that if you have a laptop, you get one of the cables from ebay for £10 and use the free software Check here http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7129-vagscan-vag305/page__view__findpost__p__62656__hl__%2Bfront+%2Bmid+%2Bleft__fromsearch__1 . It identified my fault and even allowed me to reset it but it came back. At least that way you can try swopping/changing sensors to see if it is the sensor or the connection.

If you go to the stealer - you will pay through the nose and most likely spend several trips there before they find the problem

·
187 Posts
Great comments, I think I will be putting the treg over the pit at home next weekend, what a chore

Shytot is your treg newer than 2004? If so then I am assuming the software works for newer models even though it states it is up to 2004, can you confirm?

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Great comments, I think I will be putting the treg over the pit at home next weekend, what a chore

Shytot is your treg newer than 2004? If so then I am assuming the software works for newer models even though it states it is up to 2004, can you confirm?
Sorry JBS - mine is an 04 2004 model.

Maybe SurferEv can advise ?

I'm sure that the SW is upgradeable - there is VCDS lite and also the free version of VAG COM. as I said, for a tenner - it's worth a punt.

Also, FWIW - the front bumper removal is pretty straight forward.
You need to remove the grill (pull out badge and one screw), then undo the screws - 3 below grill 1 either side near headlights, 4 underneath then 4 either side on the cowling and the tricky one is another locking screw each side behind the coweling where the bumper meets the wing. took about 20 minutes to get it off and 15/ 20 to get it on - the trickiest screw is on the nearside bottom cowelling where the cowelling screws into a vent of some sort.

The electrical harness is on the driver's side, and has enough give to let the bumper drop
- you can disconnect it and take the bumper off to your bench.

Unfortunately for me - switching sensors has still left me with the same problem of a "short to plus" so next weekend I need to get the multimeter out and look around again

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
In adition to the screw at the top of the grille, there are 4 plastic clips hidden along the bottom. Each clip is in two halves like a V-sign with a little tag on the outer edge of each finger: the two bits need to be squeezed together whilst gently easing/pulling the bottom of the grille outwards to release it.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Sorry, been sooooo busy..

Yep, I bought the same lead.. I couldn't get the software to connect quickly so fell back on another version which I had previously configured with a friend's lead.. (but to be honest I think it was a Com-port configuration issue, not software compatibility )

Lead works with my '04 Treg.

If you get the lead (or are anywhere near me) and have issues just give me a shout and I could connect up with my laptop..

Ev

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Filgreen - you have a (late) pm regarding the above.

Also, anyone interested in parking sensors, I've picked a few up from Fleabay and the like for a lot less than £65 (mine were £10 and £20).

If you want spare sensors then it's worth googling 3D0998275A every so often just to see what's out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts