Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.Recently, my 06 2.5tdi Touareg started making a squealing sound when driving down the road. It is more high pitched but not extremely loud either but still very audible. It doesnt make the sound for the first few minutes when you drive the car for the first time of the day, but starts after. It stops when the vehicle comes to a stop and changes pitch when pushing the gas pedal and letting off. It sometimes starts when I hit a bump and doesn't go away until I come to a full stop. It's the most annoying sound!!!Sometimes you think it comes from the front, but it's actually coming from the back.
Does anyone know what this might be??????

·
656 Posts
I was going to say it sounds like a drive belt, but if it comes from the back then I'm at a loss. A trip to the stealers I think.

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
I had an intermittent squealing noise on the Tiguan and shot in to the dealers fearing something major - it was a stone stuck in the brake caliper - not common, but it happens. See if you can trace the noise to one particular corner to narrow down the options?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the stealer...I meant dealer and they sayin its the breaks...they quoted me ?665 for front and back break but I told them to do one and got them done for a 1/4 of the price at my local garage...guess what...the freakin noise's still there...I read the same thing somewhere on an american forum and they recon it could be the drive sharf or somethin like that...

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I've also suffered a high pitched squealing noise when driving.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
It was a parking warden trapped underneath! :twisted:

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
CovRob said:
I had an intermittent squealing noise on the Tiguan and shot in to the dealers fearing something major - it was a stone stuck in the brake caliper - not common, but it happens. See if you can trace the noise to one particular corner to narrow down the options?
I had this once so I shoved the car in reverse, shot back at speed and braked hard: stone gone.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This might be a silly question, but does your car have air suspension? When I start a journey early in the day, my car adds air all round to level the car, and I'm thinking that maybe from what you say, you might have a leak, when you say you hit a bump, this would alter the air pressure and the compressor might be activated again to re fill the chamber, also when you brake, the cars weight alters from front to rear, this will make the compressor start again, it's a high pressure system and I can imagine air loss to make some sort of noise??
Are you sure its from the rear?
If you don't have air then ignore me lol but it's just a thought??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I dont have air suspension...even tho I wish I had...yea it's definitly coming from the back...its the most annoyin noise u could imagin, especially doin long journey...
:evil:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello peeps...The Stealer tried connin money out of me by telling me I needed ALL the brakes doing (front & back discs and pads, even the handbreak!!!) coz that was the cause of the noise and they quoted me ?665 for it....I told them where to go and got it done for less than half price at my local garage...and guess what??the noise is still there....so they made me spend all that money for absolutly nothin...i went back today kickin off and they're tryin to give me a Polo as a courtesy car!How anoyin is that??

What do u guys think I should do?? I've had the car for 3 months only and still under warranty....Please help with any good suggestion.

·
656 Posts
I would ask for compensation for the unnecessary replacement of brakes and leave the treg with them until they fix the squealing noise. i'm never too fussy about what courtesy car I get, but it's your choice. If the Treg is under warranty they have an obvious obligation to fix it.
Good luck, keep us posted.

·
15 Posts
Hi,

Have you had the propshaft mount looked at? Mine developed this fault, albeit intermittent. Just had a new propshaft fitted under warranty - hopefully that will cure it.

cheers, Jon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it back to the stealers and guess what...prop shaft...got it done under warranty....
Cheers mate.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
V14NYY said:
I took it back to the stealers and guess what...prop shaft...got it done under warranty....
Cheers mate.
What happened about the bill for the brakes you didn't need fixing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they refused to pay for them sayin that my breaks needed changing...i thought if i carried on arguein with them id have ended up on a murder charge so i let it be...

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Update 3 September 2009:

A VERY helpful guy on www.clubtouareg.com has PM'd me with the following for anyone who wants to repair their existing propshaft rather than buy a new one:

"The web site you need is.www.firowpropshafts.co.uk , and the chap's name is Mark Rowley."

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
What is it with all these propshafts going at the moment
:

Cass

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
They're all getting to a certain age/mileage I guess!

60-70K seems to be the mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts