Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2008 3.0 v6 diesel treg, 2am this morning fan started up..... Came to start the car this morning flat battery....

Jumped the car, pulled the residual heater fuse and fan stops....

Any ideas?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
If nobody reports having had something similar then possibly something will show up if you can do a fault code scan.......

·
6,288 Posts
I have 2008 3.0 v6 diesel treg, 2am this morning fan started up..... Came to start the car this morning flat battery....

Any ideas?
Begs the question... How did you know it was 2am?

·
Super Moderator
5,226 Posts

·
6,288 Posts
I would need to look at the circuit diagrams but seeing as just about everything is ecu controlled I would suspect a module problem, has there been any water ingress? Check under the passenger carpet for damp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Loz

Thanks for the tip. I have lifted up the top floor mat in the passenger footwell and it is sodden underneath....

Guess time to check the bulkhead drains? I had a Westfalia towbar fitted a fortnight ago, wondering if they would have accessed the ecu to connect?

Now that I have had a chance to look more thoroughly back at home, I see the fuse that stopped the noise was labelled 'auxiliary heater', I'm pretty sure I don't have the auxiliary heater option......

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Attend to this IMMEDIATELY unless you want a feckin' huge bill.

The water penetrates VERY expensive electrics tucked under the floor here.

DO NOT DELAY ONE DAY.

Whatever you had planned for tomorrow, cancel it.

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
You have a diesel therefore you have an auxiliary Webasto diesel powered coolant heater which is what helps your engine warm up as the diesels otherwise take ages to get to a decent running temperature.

On the T3 they went to electric heaters I think.

·
6,288 Posts
Loz

Thanks for the tip. I have lifted up the top floor mat in the passenger footwell and it is sodden underneath....

Guess time to check the bulkhead drains? I had a Westfalia towbar fitted a fortnight ago, wondering if they would have accessed the ecu to connect?

Now that I have had a chance to look more thoroughly back at home, I see the fuse that stopped the noise was labelled 'auxiliary heater', I'm pretty sure I don't have the auxiliary heater option......
Do you have a dehumidifier?
I would recommend you buy one and shut it in the car on your drive with the carpet pulled back.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any ideas?
Hi. Iv got a 2.5 r5. Exactly the same issue. But. I can not find the fuse. Where is it. ??? Right hand drive car. I was told. Fuse 4. Passenger side. Pulled it. The fan kept going.. I'm pulling my hair out here. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have a diesel therefore you have an auxiliary Webasto diesel powered coolant heater which is what helps your engine warm up as the diesels otherwise take ages to get to a decent running temperature.

On the T3 they went to electric heaters I think.
Is there a way of turning this diesel heater off. Pulling the fuse. If so. Where is it..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is there a way of turning this diesel heater off. Pulling the fuse. If so. Where is it..
According the wiring diagram it is left side fusebox # 4 (15 or 20 amp) is the supply to the Aux heater controller

·
Registered
3 Posts
According the wiring diagram it is left side fusebox # 4 (15 or 20 amp) is the supply to the Aux heater controller
Spot on. Iv finally found it. Pulled the fuse. Cheers. Fingers crossed it should stop it draining the battery. There is a fumes smell now. But nothing silly.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Removing and replacing the fuse effectively resets the controller which can clear some faults, in case you want to try it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts