Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks,

Well it鈥檚 New Years Eve and 2022 is almost upon us. It鈥檚 certainly been another strange year with further restrictions on our movements and the ability to travel, however let鈥檚 hope that these will be removed for the coming year and we can all get back to normal again.

I鈥榲e sadly had to cancel our regular Christmas holiday to France so the Treg is parked up and connected to the CTEK as it hasn鈥檛 moved for a few weeks. I鈥檓 going to give it a decent wash/clean this week and some TLC in the coming months (oil changes, some paint touch up and getting the alloys refurbished).

Have a Happy New Year and let鈥檚 hope it鈥檚 a good one 馃

Regards,
The Admin Team and Mods

Reactions: siberian

Lifelong Motorhead
Happy New Year to all Treggers - like Cass, my Touareg hardly moves in winter due to Covid but I do have a road-trip planned for early March.

"Lang may your lum reek" as they used to say in Scotland.

Registered
A happy new year to all and may the future be bright (y)

Reactions: Davey2021 and Cass

Chairman
Looking forward to 2022 - just been on the Ineos website to spec my Grenadier!

Happy New Year!

Mechanical Guru
Happy New Year Cass and all MyTreg contributors.

Registered
The Chairman can fill you in, but we've had a "rough" and I measure my words, "rough" by Alaska standards ten days.

Finally managed to plow my driveway (~135 meters) and the road (~1/4 miles) so folks could get resupplied with gas (4 day power outage for some folks were running on generators) and food.

We had rain (yes in December), 3 feet of snow coupled with 40mph winds made that four with ice at the bottom, wet snow in the middle and a nice half inch of ice on the top. Temperature went from -30C to +4 in 24 hours.

Olga was at her limit as going was extremely slow to avoid clogging up the chute and impeller. For reference, Olga's snowblower is 85" wide, weighs in a 880 pounds and cycles 36 gallons of hydraulic fluid per minute at 3,000 psi, combined weight is about 9,000 pounds and of course chains on all four tires. Shared a small video with The Chairman of Olga and I clearing our driveway, if he'd like to share by all means!

Wettest December on record, Kodiak Island in the Aleutians had warmer weather than Southern California, and Hawaii's Big Island got more snow than we did one day (two feet!)

To cap it off, just filled my 1,000 gallon underground type 2 diesel tank (heating and hot water) priced at $3.41/gal for 720 gals (last fill up was in May). I'll let you do the math (don't forget to add the tax).

Oh yes, belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

siberian

Reactions: Cass

Registered
The Chairman can fill you in, but we've had a "rough" and I measure my words, "rough" by Alaska standards ten days.

Finally managed to plow my driveway (~135 meters) and the road (~1/4 miles) so folks could get resupplied with gas (4 day power outage for some folks were running on generators) and food.

We had rain (yes in December), 3 feet of snow coupled with 40mph winds made that four with ice at the bottom, wet snow in the middle and a nice half inch of ice on the top. Temperature went from -30C to +4 in 24 hours.

Olga was at her limit as going was extremely slow to avoid clogging up the chute and impeller. For reference, Olga's snowblower is 85" wide, weighs in a 880 pounds and cycles 36 gallons of hydraulic fluid per minute at 3,000 psi, combined weight is about 9,000 pounds and of course chains on all four tires. Shared a small video with The Chairman of Olga and I clearing our driveway, if he'd like to share by all means!

Wettest December on record, Kodiak Island in the Aleutians had warmer weather than Southern California, and Hawaii's Big Island got more snow than we did one day (two feet!)

To cap it off, just filled my 1,000 gallon underground type 2 diesel tank (heating and hot water) priced at $3.41/gal for 720 gals (last fill up was in May). I'll let you do the math (don't forget to add the tax).

Oh yes, belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

siberian
Wow . . Just amazing to hear about self sufficiency in places where you actually Need the help and ability of a Treg in day to day life
I only have mine because I live 120kms from work and because there may be a dusting of snow or a chance of an icy passage of road on my trip ;)

Thanks for sharing those details and a very happy new year to you and yours

Reactions: siberian

Registered
Not to hijack, but we're 20 miles from town and thus are not covered by the city of Fairbanks for services. I'm one of 5 elected, by the borough assembly, Road Commissioners responsible for 11 miles of roads (about 550 people). Our borough is 7,700 square miles and there are 106 Road Service Areas. We need to keep our Service Area roads clear year round and liaise with Emergency Services in case of disasters. We subcontract our maintenance as the Commissioners don't own graders etc. but we HELP each other in what we can. We get no reimbursement and hardly a "thank you" for what we do (we're unpaid volunteers). But when we need something, there's a traffic jam to my place. I couldn't get to clear the road soon enough and one of my neighbors needed food as he hadn't been out on over ten days, another neighbor immediately went over and dropped off food to tie him over until I could clear the road. The heavy equipment won't reach us until tomorrow at the earliest. But our road and the one road down the mountain is open and plowed by friends and neighbors with skid steers and trucks with blades

The 2008 V8 Treg will never be sold, after all I can't tow my 30 foot camper with my 992 or the wife's Macan. If I could only swap the Tiptronic for a DSG and add the rear integrated tire carrier for where I live it would be the best vehicle ever made. 90k miles and going strong!

Stay warm, current temp -30C

siberian

Reactions: Cass

Registered
Not to hijack, but we're 20 miles from town and thus are not covered by the city of Fairbanks for services. I'm one of 5 elected, by the borough assembly, Road Commissioners responsible for 11 miles of roads (about 550 people). Our borough is 7,700 square miles and there are 106 Road Commissions. We need to keep our Service Area roads clear year round and liaise with Emergency Services in case of disasters. We subcontract our maintenance as the Commissioners don't own graders etc. but we HELP each other in what we can. We get no reimbursement and hardly a "thank you" for what we do (we're unpaid volunteers). But when we need something, there's a traffic jam to my place. I couldn't get to clear the road soon enough and one of my neighbors needed food as he hadn't been out on over ten days, another neighbor immediately went over and dropped off food to tie him over until I could clear the road. The heavy equipment won't reach us until tomorrow at the earliest. But our road and the one road down the mountain is open and plowed by friends and neighbors with skid steers and trucks with blades

The 2008 V8 Treg will never be sold, after all I can't tow my 30 foot camper with my 992 or the wife's Macan. If I could only swap the Tiptronic for a DSG and add the rear integrated tire carrier for where I live it would be the best vehicle ever made. 90k miles and going strong!

Stay warm, current temp -30C

siberian
I remember when I was stationed in Bangor Maine (1990), virtually all the 4x4 & pick-ups had attachments on the front for snow ploughs

Registered
And plug-in for engine block/battery and oil pan heater

siberian

PS Not the Touareg as VDub guarantees to -50F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts