Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

Anyone had a problem with the handbrake that doesn't release properly, well it does release , its the car thinks its not released and the red light stays on. Had it in at vw and service guy says when pulling lever hold it for a sec or two that worked for a while now the red light stays on even when im holding it for ages , or when it does go out you are driving along and you go over some bumps the handbrake warning light comes on and you have to stop stand on it and release again , starting to pi55 me 0ff now , is there like a switch back there that needs lubricating to stop it from sticking? cheers guys

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. The foot pedal doesn't always return to the top (although it releases the brake), hence the switch isn't activated and the light and warning stay on. My highly technical fix is to hook my foot under the foot pedal and pull it up as I release the hand pull. Mind you when you are driving a manual you run out of feet as you try and take off.

Alasdair

·
886 Posts
Hi Guys,

A common problem methinks.

We have had that problem from new and only recently the handle snapped off completely.

VW fitted a new handle and cable and guess what ?? It still stays on unless you really pull it out and hold for a second or two.

Guess it is something you have to live with, annoying as it seems to be

As I don't drive the Treg often I release the brake and then back out of the drive and it starts beeping at me.
I then think that it is the parking sensors and slam on

Sorry no positive advice on how to cure it.

Cheers

Tom

·
75 Posts
you can feel the switch under that dash with your left hand while sitting in the drivers seat.
i havent looked at the switch itself, but brake switches usually have a securing nut that allows it to be adjusted to meet the pedal correctly.

however, a less fiddly short term fix (if the pedal comes up correctly, just not far enough) would be to attach a few layers of sticky tape or piece of card to the top of the footbrake pedal where it meets the switch

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I've had the same problem and I brought it to the attention of the vw garage when the car was serviced last year. They basically said that the whole footbrake assembly needs changing because of wear and tear. Since the car was out of warranty I left it. But I'm sure if some of the members are still within the 3 year warranty, and if they push really hard enough then their dealers should change this assembly free. The problem only rarely crops up now. I do hold the brake release handle for a second or so (do not pull on this release handle too hard, I've had to get a new one)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I get this and am still in warranty...

...going to call the stealers and see what the crack is!!

Keep you posted.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, same here, had problems with red light coming on, then it stopped and worked perfectly. Other day just finished offloading some items for work, was in the middle of road, so in a hurry not to keep traffic behind waiting, handbrake lever just flew off over my head - fortunately it did release handbrake at the same time.

Having solved the tyre problems (after a lot of expense) and the noisy wipers (after some more expense), here we go again. It is booked into garage in 2 days to solve the problem (at what cost???) and of course we are out of warranty.

Lovely car, drives well, but these other problems ensure I will never recommend or buy one again. The only thing we had resolved during warranty was the cracked wood veneer.

The tyre problem should have been solved under warranty - we thought we were a one-off problem until another owner told us he had had 3 new sets of tyres for free under warranty - we paid for 2 sets before the car was recalled (kept for 2 days) and returned - no explanation given - but no tyre problems since
:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have had the same problem and as pointed out and resolved with the left foot hooking behind the pedal. Had it in for service and they said its ?200 to change it! F*ck that!

·
Chairman
20,055 Posts
No need to scuff your shoe - just pull the handle, hold it, count one . . . two . . . , and then release.

·
54 Posts
Thanks for that I was about to go and get it fixed, wont bother now, a new pair of shoes sounds cheaper !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
noobytoogy said:
No need to scuff your shoe - just pull the handle, hold it, count one . . . two . . . , and then release.
It don't work! You can feel the slight play in the pedal when I pull the lever back with the shoe!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Have you tried a squirt or two of lubricant on the damper mechanism behind the foot-pedal?

Failing that, I understand that it is not a big job to replace the damper assembly - I have read somewhere about replacing the damper - if lubrication doesn't do the trick, ishall try and find a link for you!

Cheers,

John

·
Chairman
20,055 Posts
It's a five minute job for a VW techie to change the damper from a previous post.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
ecclesrec said:
They said the whole mechanism needs changing and its ?200! Conning me?
Hi,

It's impossible to say whether you are being 'conned' or not without seeing the job!

I think it would be prudent to get a second garage to assess your particular problem - it is a 'serviceable' component so, I would be surprised if the whole assembly is at fault and in need of entire replacement!

Often, main dealers will go down the 'replace the whole unit' route because it is simpler and generates more revenue -they supply and fit, so get profit both ways.

If a second opinion concurs with the first one - you have your answer!

Cheers,

John

·
2 Posts
Hi all. ive had a v6 Altitude 2 years now and have worked in past many years with VW as technical, the handbrake light staying on is not generally cause for concern but generally is due to not enough tension in the cable , this doesnt then pull the pedal back to the top thus leaving the light on, you can either use your left foot to lighty pull the pedal the last half an inch or have the cable tension adjusted, i had some of the best techies in the country but a lot of people do guess and this is expensive and generally doesnt fix the issue. cheers

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Welcome aboard TB!

Great first post, too, thank you for that. You will be very welcome, I'm sure. Why not say hello in the General Discussion thread?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
I had the whole thing collapse under my left foot when the car was 3 months old. VW replaced the damper as the ball socket had cracked. The tech guy did not seem surprised. Having read through these posts it seems that the brake is a Treg weak point.

·
10 Posts
Hi , I work for one of the so called stealers that seams to get a bit slated on this forum, even though the people posting these complaints don't tell the full story, so you only get a short story from their point of view which makes us look bad. Anyway back to the parking brake light staying on. 99% of the time to fix this it is an adjustment of the front parking brake cable as it has settled/ stretched. Remember adjustments are not covered by warranty once the vehicle is over a certain age/ mileage before you go to the dealer demand they repair it. To adjust you remove the trim at the rear of the centre console and tighten the 10mm nut on the front cable, only tightening enough to make the light go out when the release handle is pulled. If I service a touareg and notice the light staying on I do this adjustment within the service time it does not take long. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 26 Posts