Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
115 Posts
Just bought four:D.

Only had the Treg just over a month:twoup:, bout found two nails in one tyre????

Where do these things come from??

Any way, after the thumb of rule on here:twoup:, Just shy of ?500 hard ones and i now have four 285-45-19's ready to be fitted:twoup: ?125 a corner from Camskill

Thats nearly ?400 saved over oem

On first impression of the looks??? Damn good looking tyre, Remind me a bit of my Parada spec 2's on the van.

Hope to have them fitted at the weekend.

What pressure's do you guys run them???? mainly town and motorway is what i will be doing.

Ill add to the praise;-) later:twoup:

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I'm on 255/60/17 and use the stated VW pressures for an unloaded 3.2 which I think from memory is 36F 38R. The tyre wear is quite even and the Grabbers give a quieter and more comfortable ride than the Contis so I'm happy with that.

·
749 Posts
Have a look inside the drivers door shut, pressures will be on a sticker. Mine are 20's so not sure what 19's will run at.

I had the same problem, a week after having the Grabbers fitted, a huge screw in the rear tyre right in the middle, luckily it was repairable.

Done about 6000 on my grabbers now, thru snow etc, they have been brilliant.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To both above:twoup:

They are smoother is the word i would choose, but i reckon the PSI could be upped a tad, as the fronts look like they are running low???

Only difference from OEM is 285 profile as to stock 275.

But ill get down tomorrow , and look how she sits??? then add a few if neede:twoup:

Oh, i just need to drop 150mm now to match the agressive tread :wink:

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I think it's the slightly softer, more flexible side walls as I check mine more often because they look wrong when they're actually spot on.

Inflate them more and you'll risk losing the smoother ride and wearing the centre of the tyres faster.

My UHPs may look soft but are wearing across the tread nice and evenly.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I'm a sheep too. Whilst I was disappointed not be reporting on my Conti XContacts, I'm pleased enough with my Grabbers. I run mine about 2psi firmer than the door sticker - I reckon that gives me better feel without compromising ride comfort too much.

What made you go for 285 and not 275, Packa?

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='Wurzel']I'm a sheep too. Whilst I was disappointed not be reporting on my Conti XContacts, I'm pleased enough with my Grabbers. I run mine about 2psi firmer than the door sticker - I reckon that gives me better feel without compromising ride comfort too much.

What made you go for 285 and not 275, Packa?[/QUOTE]

?20 a corner?? and to be honest the side wall is softer than original, but gives the wife? 10mm more safety when parking up to a kerb. LOL so the alloys should stay clean???

As for the couple of psi higher?? i think your right in what im thinking, ill ride 500 miles then

Do a depth check, and add a few psi according;-)

But to present?? The Grabbers do what they say on the tin:twoup:

·
29 Posts
Hi all
after reading all the ravings on here about the grabbers i convinced hubby that they were what i wanted , i hate noisy tyres and the GENERAL consensus
is that these tyres are quiet ,hubby wasnt keen on the beefy tread he wanted something a bit more roady , but after getting my own way we have just had them fitted 275/45/20 what do ya think ,hubby says it looks like big foot but what does he know i luv um

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
And you won't get stuck on a flat, but wet, grass field if you go to a concert, sports day, point-to-point, etc..

·
29 Posts
toe rag said:
Hi all
after reading all the ravings on here about the grabbers i convinced hubby that they were what i wanted , i hate noisy tyres and the GENERAL consensus
is that these tyres are quiet ,hubby wasnt keen on the beefy tread he wanted something a bit more roady , but after getting my own way we have just had them fitted 275/45/20 what do ya think ,hubby says it looks like big foot but what does he know i luv um
soz couldnt down load my pic , file is too large apparently but they do look tidy , youll have to take my word for it lol

oh and forgot to mention we got the tyres from event who came and fitted at home for ?506.00 simpleeesssss

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Checked the existing tyres on my Treg... - 255 / 55 / 18.

Before I go ordering replacements (gonna get the Grabber UHP, that's the right ones isn't it?) does this seem the correct size?

Camskill list either 255/55 or 255/60 as options under the 18" selection.

Cheers in advance,

Ev

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Just called my local tyre supplier who I always try to use and he can fit me a full set of 255 / 55 / 18 this afternoon for ?414.28 all in.

Not bad at all...

If anybody has a minute, please confirm, if you can, that they are indeed the right ones.. lol.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Thats the size I'm looking for too.

Where abouts are you Surferev ?

Cant find them in stock at Camskill or event, if anyone knows of anywhere in the midlands area would be greatly appreciated.

Tried the place where I had the alignment done on Saturday & no stock.

HELP !!!!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Give event a ring if you've only been on-line.

I wanted some particular Vredesteins not shown on the web site and a phone call sorted them out at a good price.

My personal preference would be 60 rather than 55 for a little more air cushion between rim and road.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Lord Flasheart said:
Thats the size I'm looking for too.

Where abouts are you Surferev ?

Cant find them in stock at Camskill or event, if anyone knows of anywhere in the midlands area would be greatly appreciated.

Tried the place where I had the alignment done on Saturday & no stock.

HELP !!!!
That's odd.. I was on camskill last night and today and they said they were in stock ready for despatch in that size (255 / 55 / 18). Unless the web status is not actually correct?

I'm in Essex, Westcliff.

And I called my guy this morning, said he'd have to call me back because didn't have them on his list... 2 minutes later he called back with the price and could have them in this afternoon for fitting.

My personal preference would be 60 rather than 55 for a little more air cushion between rim and road
Nooby.. I'll probably go with direct replacement size for the ones currently on the Treg. I had wondered if the extra height would be of benefit but I can rely on the air susp for that if I need it...

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
It wasn't the extra height I was thinking of, more the ride comfort factor. Glad you're sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
That's what I meant too though.. height of wall providing more comfort..... I can always stick it in 'comfort' if I want it a little softer I imagine.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
All sorted hopefully.

Looked on Camskill & they said available for next day delivery, rang them to chase up an order for Kumho 31" muds from January for the Wrangler, now hopefully April FFS, asked about Grabbers, sorry sir none in stock, website is wrong.

Anyway, rang Event, said they would ring back........ Finally did & they had found 4 darn sarf, comming to fit Saturday hopefully

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Nice one... Just got back from having mine fitted... Hmm... tyre pressure sensors... Hmmmm.... Corrosion... Hmmmm..

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
285/45/19 tyres appear to be cheaper than 275/45/19 tyres on most of the sites. I guess they cover more cars so more of them made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts