Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Ignore the naive thread title - I do know what the speed rating is.

I had some General Grabber UHP's fitted to my Touareg recently - the work was done by my local VW dealer (it's a long story - they wouldn't ordinarily supply and fit Grabbers). Anyway, just before the tyres went on, the Service Manager phoned me up in a panic

"The tyres can't be fitted, they have the incorrect speed rating ..."

After I'd calmed him down and promised to sign a disclaimer in blood and all that, the tyres got fitted and I'm a happy bunny. I was ready for the question, because when phoning round to procure said Grabbers another tyre dealer got similarly panicked on the phone. "You can't fit them!!" And then he exploded ...

So, I rang my insurance company - they had no idea what I was talking about and trotted off to talk to the underwriters who said:

"As long as the tyre fitted is designed to fit the vehicle rim, tyre selection is not a condition of the policy." Or words to that effect.

So my question is this - what is the problem with fitting "V" rated tyres to a vehicle that is recommended to have "Y" rated tyres? Will I explode? Is there a little known law that I don't know about? Or is it a conspiracy to keep us buying premium brands that won't last five minutes?

Discuss.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Since it is illegal to travel in excess of 70 mph in the UK, my view is that if this is your car's principal area of operation, lower speed rating tyres comply with the law and therefore the insurance.

Now if you travel flat out on unrestricted German auotroutes, that's a different ball game!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car is fast but it won't do 149mph on any road.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
:handslap:

Ouch, that hurt you big colonial bully, you!

Yes, I know that it has been discussed and I know that I contributed (mind you I don't think that it's the first time we've discussed a subject that's been discussed before, is it ... ?)

But I wanted to start a thread with speed ratings in the thread title and specifically about them.

And I really wanted to post this:

Rating km/h mph
N 140 87
P 150 93
Q 160 99
R 170 106
S 180 112
T 190 118
H 210 130
V 240 149
W 270 168
Y 300 186
So there.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I've got a Bugatti Veyron. What speed rating should I be using Wurzel?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
noobytoogy said:
I've got a Bugatti Veyron. What speed rating should I be using Wurzel?
If that were the case then you would know that the tyres have to be replaced every 2500 miles and cost ?6325 each....and no, you can't shop around.....

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
What? You mean Camskill or event-tyres can't help me out??

And that's ?10 per mile in tyre costs alone . . .

I've been robbed!!

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
noobytoogy said:
What? You mean Camskill or event-tyres can't help me out??

And that's ?10 per mile in tyre costs alone . . .

I've been robbed!!
Since you own a Veyron, you really shouldn't need to ask................................sir................

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
But I thought I could run it on a shoe string . . . like a Touareg!!

G

·
Wurzel said:
:handslap:

Ouch, that hurt you big colonial bully, you!

Yes, I know that it has been discussed and I know that I contributed (mind you I don't think that it's the first time we've discussed a subject that's been discussed before, is it ... ?)
Well it was rather a waspish response now I re-read it - humble apologies! And your original question deserves an answer......................Don't know!

But I wonder if any of these are factors:-

a) There is a certification process for each vehicle with respect to tyre spec.

The shared platform with the Cayenne may mean joint certification

c) Porsche are very picky about their tyre specs.

d) Tyre manufacturers make only one speed rating for a given tyre size, especially if it has limited applications

Speculation on my part. Maybe noobs could ask his Bugatti dealer.

PS Hope you remembered to keep a flagon of cider for me - going off Miller Lite......................fast.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Sorry, but I can't help now.

I flogged the Bug yesterday on e-bay.

Some bloke from Africa rang up ten minutes after I put it on wanting it really badly for some despotic ruler out there who he works for and who was going to boil him and his family alive that night if he did'nt get the deal sorted there and then.

So I did really well - lessons I learnt from you lot when dealing with Warranty Direct [thanks, chaps!] and pushed him from the ?850K I'd put it on at to ?1.5 million [God, the guy was a complete pushover!].

Anyway his mates turned up a couple of hours later with a container for the car and a cheque drawn on the International Global Universal Bank Banque of Indo-Niger-Chad. Llovely graphics by the way and a brilliant idea - there was some silver foil on the back in a security strip embossed with the words Kit-Kat [wonder why the British banks don't do that?].

Anyway, there you go again, you've got me digressing.

There was a little problem with the cheque as it was made out for ?5 million! Silly devil! Fancy not knowing the difference between ?1.5m and ?5 million. Still not to worry, better too much than too little, eh?

So I called the mobile number of the President of the bank - handy my buyer's chaps had it with them, wasn't it?

He said never mind, if I presented the cheque at Lloys TSB [aren't our bank names so dull in comparison?] tomorrow - well today now - that would be fine, he'd stand by it as he knew my buyer very well indeed. In fact he was married to some second cousin twice removed or somesuch and didn't want to be responsible for any family member ending up in the President's cooking pot [well actually he did say he could do with getting rid of wives 1, 6 and 9 - goodness what stamina he must have! - and then I got a bit lost in the family tree somewhere as he could talk for England - well wherever. [Why can't people be concise is a question I frequently ask myself.]

Anyway back to the point you dragged me away from. He asked if I could perhaps arrange a telegraphic transfer of the ?3.5 million overpayment back to him before the banks closed at 5 pm UK? Yep, no problem, so I got that sorted with my bank, confirmed the dosh had gone through tickety boo to some funny place or other [Somalia I think] and waved bye-bye to the car.

They were SUCH nice people to do business with! So smiley too. Can't recommend them enough.

But must dash, the bank's opened and I need to drop that lovely cheque in.

But before I go, I MUST tell you the best bit . . .

They didn't notice the bluddy tyres were all bald so I've saved myself ?25K as well!

Dumbos!!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Sorry if I was off topic by the way . . .

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I give up

G

·
Went to Cuba last week and that chaps photo was everywhere - on T-shirts, posters, murals etc. But no-one knew his name - all said que? che?. He did have a pal too, keen on cars I think - he was called Castrol anyway

The pre '59 American cars were great, though. I'd post a pic if I could make it work - seems trickier than previous arrangement!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I thought that - about the pix, I mean - but if a technophobe like me can manage it ok . . .

Click on the "go advanced" button [but you know that I'm sure].

And if the pix load up in the wrong order [say you selected 5 in a sequence to upload as I did the other day] you just grab them once they are in the reply box and move them about to where you want them. [But you know that too I expect!].

Still warm and sunny?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Nice pics Andy...

Hate to say that's a picture/mock of Che, with Manuel the crazy waiter, so I sure hope there wasn't images of him all throughout Cuba..

Nice to see you still around Andy, and wish I was there.

·
717 Posts
You can get a good deal on heels there too.

Coat, taxi for one..........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts