Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been monitoring my tyres more closely over the last couple of months and at 14k miles my old pirelli P60 's had to go,still legal but looking suspect.
All had worn evenly across the tread with a bit more meat left on the backs.
After driving treg Unlimited cars with Grabber UHp's My choice was going to be this tyre.
Nooby has also had them fitted and was pleased and this backed up my decision.
A phone call to Event and a day was arranged(2 days later)
they promised a call from the fitter on the day to arrange a time .
They kept their word and in the afternoon the van arrived,the kettle was put on.
The fitter(now called a technician i believe)
inspected the alloys for damage ,found none and after about an hour the tyres were fitted.
He invited me to inspect the wheels for damage...he had been ultra careful so no surprise when none was found.
No complaints at all ,marks out of 10....9.9,well nobody's perfect.
Driving the car I was surprised how quiet they were after the Pirellis.
Even Mrs Nimrod,whose knowledge of cars stops at the location of the vanity mirror commented on it.
Just off now to do an M25 run to make sure the balance is ok,town driving over the last few days has been a pleasure so i'm expecting great things.
Recommended.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Good recommendation - how much were they ?

Cass

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Thanks Nimrod,

After all the praise for Grabber UHPs I was going to have these fitted as soon as my P-Zeros give out (which might not be long, apparently). However, I am a bit concerned about the speed rating. Touaregguru told me at the Unlimited Day I went to that they don't have the correct rating. Is this true? Is this okay? And does anyone have experience of the Grabber UHP on 19" Atheo Wheels as fitted to my Altitude?

Chris

·
350 Posts
Speed ratings are a way of getting you to pay more in a way...even H rated are good for 130mph and as the limit is 70 :wink: it's a bit of a moot point! Load rating is probably more important with the Treg I would have thought.....

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just back from a good drive on the M25 and balance seems perfect,much,much quieter too.
Tyres are "W" rated which I think is good for 168 mph so no problem for my R5.
I paid ?444.00 for 4 tyres inc new valves,caps,balance and lube for sticky hubs.
Been monitoring tyre prices and they have crept up over the last 6-9 months but I'm happy with the price for the service and convenience i got.
Sorry Wurz,can't comment on 19" for the 3.0tdi but I can't honestly think they wouldn't be suitable.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I'd just add this bit.
Although all the reviews on Event were good(and Nooby doesn't suffer fools gladly),I had one concern(other than marking my alloys).
The tyres were to be changed on my drive and I had visions of them dragging a trolley jack over Mrs Nimrod's immaculate
paving tiles.
No worries!
They use an inflatable rubber ball type thing,very clever,and they made absolutely no mess.
I dare say I could have saved a few bob having them done elsewhere but the fitter(technician!) is captive on your drive and you see exactly what goes on.
I remember having tyres changed on my old car by one of the High St mob and it coming out with a pound of lead stuck round the outside of my lovely new alloys.
to Event.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Sounds exactly like my experience with Event - they seem very professional and competent.
Likewise with the one rubber based air jack he lifted the whole rear up (he did need some blocks of wood to match the height).

My only concern with the Grabbers was the extra load requirement - when I filtered on the Event site for Grabbers and extra load, it didn't appear.

In hindsight - I should have checked further - it seems that they are extra load.

Anyway I had 2 Kumho KL16 fitted - they look less "sexy" than some other tyres but they are running fine - no noise and no wear after 2000 miles. I will consider a proper 4 corner change when my second hand contis are up for change. I will definitely be using Event

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Obviously I know what you're all saying about the actual speed of the vehicle being far less than the rating. I just wondered if the insurance company needs notifying, will they wriggle out of a claim, etc., etc..

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Wurzel said:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Obviously I know what you're all saying about the actual speed of the vehicle being far less than the rating. I just wondered if the insurance company needs notifying, will they wriggle out of a claim, etc., etc..
A W rating and XL load is definitely acceptable.

I'm pretty sure the Bridgestone Turanzas (original on mine) were only 108V rated.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
@ Shytot

·
108 Posts
Be very careful fitting tyres with different ratings from original equipment as some insurers won?t pay out if the ratings are wrong.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
V10 TDi said:
Be very careful fitting tyres with different ratings from original equipment as some insurers won?t pay out if the ratings are wrong.
Which was my question, Graham.

Do you know that this is the case? What do you mean by "be very careful", is it illegal?

Chris

·
108 Posts
Hi I have known of cases were the insurers have not paid out after accedents where the wrong rated tyres have beed fitted as for the legal side i am not 100% on that but will try to find out .

graham

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
FYI- I put Grabber UHPs on my last Treg which had 19? Atheos
I had them fitted by Event in March and covered some 3,200 miles up until last week when the car was part-exchanged. I measure the tread-depth before I drove it to the dealer and they had 7mm left (they came with 8mm)- so as soon as I have killed the Pirellis on my new car (the Pirelli P-Zeros only lasted 9,300 miles on my last car)- I will be buying Grabber UHPs again.

Cas

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I'm relieved folk are finding Event and the Grabbers good news!

Talking of speed ratings - and our 70 mph limit - I went to Donington early this morning and at 6.45 am, doing exactly 77 mph in the neaqrside lane of the M40 at the bottom of Stokenchurch hill I was passed by an X5 doing 140 plus!! People say something passed them as though they were stadning still. Well THAT definitely applied to me!!

I had a split second to see the rear end - the exhaust pipes were huge and non-standard and the noise was very loud and quite exquisite!

So I hope his tyre speed ratings were up to it!

Lord only knows if it had been nicked. I fully expected to see it in a heap somewhere but there was no sign of it thereafter.

·
108 Posts
I have a answer from someone in the no a member of the autocrime squad

(in essence if your car is capable of 150 mph but you fit 115 mph rated tyres then technically the police could get a bit mardy with you. I know you can argue that you're only allowed to do 70 anyway but I don't think that would stand up in court.Also your insurers might not payout if you had an accident which they deemed was due to the tyres etc.)

so you just have to take the chance
Graham

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
No brainer to fit the correct rated tyres for your vehicle.

Insurance assessor will find you out if you don't and IMHO, old bill have too many Government/Force/Local objectives and a seriously diminishing Traffic Dept to bother with this unless you end up in a fatal RTC.

That said, get the right tyres for your car every time and you won't go wrong - unless your alignment is out that is

Cass

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Nimrod said:
Echo that.
Why wouldn't you fit the proper rated tyre?
Pat, only because every one says how good the Grabbers are. And, if it wasn't for the speed rating, it would be a no brainer to fit them. They wear better, they're quieter, they ride better, they're better off road and in winter ... why wouldn't you want to fit them (but for the speed rating thing ...)?

Hence my question.

Chris

1 - 20 of 55 Posts