Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gearbox has started shunting 3rd to 4th and now also 4th to 5th.

Only doing it when stone cold, and after 5 minutes driving it's perfect.

I'll do a gearbox reset but am I looking at issues ahead?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm addition, it's the first winter this has occurred and it's now on 55k.

I think the term is hard shifting? It selects the gear but it's far from smooth!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just 4 years old, so out of warranty.

Reset provided a smooth gear change, but the proper test will be leaving it overnight and trying after a cold start

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's just 4 years old, so out of warranty.

Reset provided a smooth gear change, but the proper test will be leaving it overnight and trying after a cold start
so does the gearbox reset work on the a 2017 touareg? and is it worth doing?

i had a weird one the other night, approached a roundabout with it in manual, gearbox auto changes down to 2nd, go thru roundabout and push the + paddle, but the gearbox went down a gear, with the revs going up to about 4k! deffo not something i want happening again. it has in fact done this twice, the first time, i put it down to user error (yes i do know my left from right and + from -!)... any thoughts?

cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
so does the gearbox reset work on the a 2017 touareg? and is it worth doing?

i had a weird one the other night, approached a roundabout with it in manual, gearbox auto changes down to 2nd, go thru roundabout and push the + paddle, but the gearbox went down a gear, with the revs going up to about 4k! deffo not something i want happening again. it has in fact done this twice, the first time, i put it down to user error (yes i do know my left from right and + from -!)... any thoughts?

cheers
Yes it will work on the T4 and should be done periodically and if here have been driver changes or you have changed/adapted you diving style.

I‘ve also hit the wrong paddle on a couple of occasions when turning hard and with the steering wheel up to maybe 120 degrees from straight ahead and obviously lost my co-ordination. I almost always have the gear selector in Drive and rarely in Manual/Sport - using the paddles always kicks the ‘box into Manual for a temporary period.

A moot point but I always pull the paddles towards me and never push the paddles away - I’m presuming you do the same 🤔

I’m guessing here but it may be that your engine speed and revs at the time bogged down your box and you didn’t have the revs to go up a gear, so maybe it kicked down just as you were trying to change up. I’d try driving the same stretch of road and try it again to see if you can replicate the situation and see how it handles it 🤷‍♂️

It might be worth getting the car scanned with VCDS to see if any fault codes come up for peace of mind 🤔

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes it will work on the T4 and should be done periodically and if here have been driver changes or you have changed/adapted you diving style.

I‘ve also hit the wrong paddle on a couple of occasions when turning hard and with the steering wheel up to maybe 120 degrees from straight ahead and obviously lost my co-ordination. I almost always have the gear selector in Drive and rarely in Manual/Sport - using the paddles always kicks the ‘box into Manual for a temporary period.

A moot point but I always pull the paddles towards me and never push the paddles away - I’m presuming you do the same 🤔

I’m guessing here but it may be that your engine speed and revs at the time bogged down your box and you didn’t have the revs to go up a gear, so maybe it kicked down just as you were trying to change up. I’d try driving the same stretch of road and try it again to see if you can replicate the situation and see how it handles it 🤷‍♂️

It might be worth getting the car scanned with VCDS to see if any fault codes come up for peace of mind 🤔
Hi Cass

Thanks for yoru response.

I will go try it now!!

Take your point about losing track of which paddle is which!! AND yes I always pull and not push!!

You may be right about engine speed and revs and the box getting bogged down, hopefully a quick reset will sort it. If it doesnt then I will try to repeat it and then take it to VW for a looksie. I’ve gotta take it back to the dealer for a new glove box and sun visor anyways...

Thanks again matey!!

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Cass

Thanks for yoru response.

I will go try it now!!

Take your point about losing track of which paddle is which!! AND yes I always pull and not push!!

You may be right about engine speed and revs and the box getting bogged down, hopefully a quick reset will sort it. If it doesnt then I will try to repeat it and then take it to VW for a looksie. I’ve gotta take it back to the dealer for a new glove box and sun visor anyways...

Thanks again matey!!

So I gave it a try - key in, ignition on, throttle flat to floor for 10 seconds, ignition off.

Started the car, and felt a change straight away.

In D all shifts are smoother
In S all shifts are taking a little longer
In Manual all shift are taking a little longer

All in all, whilst yes, it has made a difference, S and Manual seem a little more sluggish, but, changes are now smoother. I am hoping that shifts in S and Manual will speed up the more I drive it...

Wish I'd know about this the day it was delivered!! I reckon anyone buyig a used Treg should do this on Day 1.

I could not repeat the (suspected) fault where the box goes down a gear when you hit the + paddle. So I put that down to user error (yes I can fess up when I am in the wrong!).

Now, I just wonder what other 'tricks' there are for the Treg?!? Like how the hell do you watch films??? Ive tried quite few file formats and codecs, but no joy.

And, can you watch TV in your Treg When stationary of course?!

Cheers All

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Resetting the gearbox is in the buying a used Touareg thread.

You do it before you even test drive the car!

Reactions: Cass

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
After a reset, the box will relearn your driving style 👍

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts