Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Towrag the Lemon of the VW Empire and is now the time to cut and run?

I bought my 2004 26Kmiles 5.0V10 6 weeks ago and so far its been in dry dock for 3 weeks at Heritage of Bristol with the following problems.

Failure 1
Error messages saying drive train and braking problem.Suspension dropped and clunk from drive train.
Replaced some connection with gold plated part.
3 Days

Failure 2
Error message drive train problem.
Replaced transfer box.
1 week

Failure 3
Loss of gearbox and suspension.
This happened yesterday on my way back from Brighton to Taunton,the suspension has dropped and the gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear.
I am now waiting for the AA pick up for the third time.

These vehicles have obvious problems and very soon the bad news will hit the trade and our £40/50K cars will be worth peanuts.
As for VW assist they are just a tow in service they aren`t prepared to talk about problems.
In my last conversation with the girls they asked me if the vehicle was auto or manual.This just about sums up the whole problem . I think they will soon be paying danger money to the people in the firing line.

If you look on the US site there are people over there issuing legals and this will then become a world wide problem.

There are not doubts of the merit of the V10 this is a mega product but the drive train cant handle the torque.

Any way can any body put a defense for this illconceived supercar and more importantly what advice can you give me to resolve the very bad reliability problems.

PS dont they go well when they`re on the road.

John Tiplady .Taunton

·
1,553 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no idea they are pretty new problems on this forum i think

how much communication do you get from the dealer

·
55 Posts
Have had the "golden" connections, no use, ended up with new compressor.

Dane VW at Chester solved mine.

I've sold mine now after 10 months of dealer experiments.

Elsewhere on this site you will find that my comments are not welcome, you can make your own judgement.

Richard Walsh

·
3,680 Posts
QUOTE(Richard Walsh @ Nov 30 2005, 05:59 PM)Have had the "golden" connections, no use, ended up with new compressor.

Dane VW at Chester solved mine.

I've sold mine now after 10 months of dealer experiments.

Elsewhere on this site you will find that my comments are not welcome, you can make your own judgement.

Richard Walsh

[snapback]13577[/snapback]​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(ScottieTreg @ Nov 30 2005, 08:19 PM)

[snapback]13585[/snapback]​

Latest news is that the ABS pump has failed and is causing the transmission and suspension problems.

I have been given a 2.5TD loan car.

PS does your car go forward when u engage reverse on an down slope,mine does and I am wating for a reply from the dealer.This makes driving in the Quantocks very exciting.

John Tiplady

·
72 Posts
wow ! pretty big faults.
i used to work as a techy bloke for a vw audi dealer, until i started up on my own a few years back.
when new models were first introduced there were always lots of common teething problems. which after the first year were mostly ironed out.
the best models of any manufacture seem to be in there final years of production.
still being in the trade makes you realise its just not the treg which has had problems, its all cars and manufactures.
just check out a tt forum ! and as for mercs - run for the hills lads !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(martin @ Dec 1 2005, 08:42 PM)wow ! pretty big faults.
i used to work as a techy bloke for a vw audi dealer, until i started up on my own a few years back.
when new models were first introduced there were always lots of common teething problems. which after the first year were mostly ironed out.
the best models of any manufacture seem to be in there final years of production.
still being in the trade makes you realise its just not the treg which has had problems, its all cars and manufactures.
just check out a tt forum ! and as for mercs - run for the hills lads !

[snapback]13703[/snapback]​

Yep these are big problems.

Having been in the motor trade from Cortina Void bushes upwards I know that warranty work keeps the dealers ticking over.

But these are major problems as u say.

I am a little more confident that I may get sorted.

However if the car continues to give me trouble it will have to go.

My other car is a Range Rover 1992 3.1TD Isuzu engine full of RR probelms ........................but it cost £2K not £40K.

What about the new Rangie..............tin hat now on .

John Tipaldy

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi I am back after major probs with the firewall....

Again I think almost everybody on the board has had problems of one thing or another, some major some minor. The most important thing is watching out for indications of problems but not in the paranoiac sense. As has been said before, out of the number of Touaregs sold in the UK the proportion of problems amount to around I guess is one to two percent, mind you if its yours thats no comfort.
Being one of those that has had the transferbox replaced, tyre wear caused by suspension out of line etc. After 6 months of everything being fixed everything is going well so far and its still one of the best 4x4s on the road believe me and I looked at most at the time and have looked round the latest additions.

·
72 Posts
QUOTE(tippers @ Dec 2 2005, 08:08 AM)Yep these are big problems.

Having been in the motor trade from Cortina Void? bushes upwards I know that warranty work keeps the dealers ticking over.

But these are major problems as u say.

I am a little more confident that I may get sorted.

However if the car continues to give me trouble it will have to go.

My other car is a Range Rover 1992 3.1TD Isuzu engine full of RR probelms ........................but it cost £2K not £40K.

What about the new Rangie..............tin hat now on .

John Tipaldy
[snapback]13724[/snapback]​

yep.
looked at rangie sport , nice motor ,but overpriced.
cant get bang for bucks as you can treg.
its also based on disco, and thats mutton dressed in sheeps poo.
i no a couple of owners that have been in the dealer too many times.
and we thought we had problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts