Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 55 plate Touareg and am suffering from intermittent exhaust fumes in the cabin. I've had it in to the dealer and they say they can find nothing, and I must say that when I'm travelling at speed it's fine. However when I'm sitting in traffic it's terrible, especially in this damp heavy weather. I can hear a pump running behind the passenger side glove box which I assume is the auxillary heater.....a ready source of exhaust fumes ! but I'm told by the dealer that this only comes in on starting, especially when the weather is from 5 C and below. and that when the engine is running at it's proper temperature that this pump cuts out, unless the outside ambient temperature is below 5 C but mine runs and cuts on and off all the time, is this right ?Anyone any ideas. I must say the car blew a seized injector in November last year and damaged the camshaft. Fortunately it was still under the dealers warranty as they had to take out the engine to recover the broken bits of camshaft in the engine. I was wondering if this could have some bearing....misaligned vent pipe ? I'm struggling with this and am going to Switzerland in two weeks time so am a little worried.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi Lee,

Without detailed inspection its tough to say what the problem is - I wonder if your A/C Air Filter needs changing - at the end of the filter live it stops capturing fume particles and you will start to smell general car fumes a lot more - one possibility anyway

Kaine

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Kaine - is the aircon filter you mention the same as the pollen filter under the dash in the passenger side footwell [UK car]. The one that costs about ?20 and there's a good post on here how to replace it in a few minutes?

The other thing is that if this heater is running when it shouldn't be, how it is controllled? Thermostat reading ambient temperature with an over-ride when engine or coolant temperature rises above a set point?

Would/should this show on VAGcom?

Did the dealer check this out?

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
The other thing I meant to mention is are you sure your tailgate - the main part and the glass section are both closing properly?

I discovered by chance I was getting mild carbon monxide poisoning due to a faulty tailgate seal on a SAAB 900 hatchback years ago.

And has the main exhaust sytem been checked for leaks? Normally you would hear it blowing but it might be worth a look and a listen.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fellas

Thanks for the suggestions. Kaine, firstly is the A/C filter easy for me to replace ? This makes some sense as the problem is not consistent and is mainly when in traffic where external road fumes are heavy ( I can still taste the fumes this morning and I haven't driven since four yesterday afternoon ! ) Noobytoogy, the tailgate seems to be shut ok, I havent noticed te red door open display on when driving and the interior light would stay on...but I'll check the glass. Exhaust was checked and apparently the car was checked on the computer, whether this was VAGcom I'm not sure. This heater is my concern.....I can definitely hear a pump cutting in and out constantly under the passenger side dash where this pump is situated.Surely this should not be working if the engine is working at normal temperature and if it is spewing exhaust fumes when you are sitting in traffic when the engine is running at the correct temperature, surely it would find it's way in through the heater vents. Maybe it is the A/C filter......although I am a little confused kaine, why would an A/C ( I assume this means air conditioning ) prevent fumes getting in to the car ? Lee

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts

·
2 Posts
Hi Lee
I had same problem on 2.5 TDi it turned out to be be a cracked exhaust manifold,dealer did not want to know as car was 3 months out of warranty with full service history and only 37k miles on clock.I removed manifold and bolted it to a jig and re welded it so far so good.

·
72 Posts
I just changed the pollen filter on mine for ?9.55, it made a good difference to the amount of air coming through the vents.. easy job and well worth it

·
31 Posts
leewiffen said:
I've got a 55 plate Touareg and am suffering from intermittent exhaust fumes in the cabin. I've had it in to the dealer and they say they can find nothing, and I must say that when I'm travelling at speed it's fine. However when I'm sitting in traffic it's terrible, especially in this damp heavy weather. I can hear a pump running behind the passenger side glove box which I assume is the auxillary heater.....a ready source of exhaust fumes ! but I'm told by the dealer that this only comes in on starting, especially when the weather is from 5 C and below. and that when the engine is running at it's proper temperature that this pump cuts out, unless the outside ambient temperature is below 5 C but mine runs and cuts on and off all the time, is this right ?Anyone any ideas. I must say the car blew a seized injector in November last year and damaged the camshaft. Fortunately it was still under the dealers warranty as they had to take out the engine to recover the broken bits of camshaft in the engine. I was wondering if this could have some bearing....misaligned vent pipe ? I'm struggling with this and am going to Switzerland in two weeks time so am a little worried.
I have the same problem and am convinced it is the aux heater being overfuelled, a problem I recall reading about some where on the forum before it got it's new look. I am desperate to get this fixed. I also don't beleive it is only when the vehicle is cold or under 5C. have changed all the filters so am pretty sure it's not these.

G

·
Jason, A leak of exhaust gases might reduce turbo performance and lead to loss of low down grunt - just a suggestion, given your other post

·
31 Posts
andynpz said:
Jason, A leak of exhaust gases might reduce turbo performance and lead to loss of low down grunt - just a suggestion, given your other post
Hadn't thought of that. Is the loss of gases easy for a garage to check?

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I think what he was getting at was have you noticed any loss or dip in power output which might help indicate the issue?

·
68 Posts
Hi guys i have the same problem on my v10 its going in next week after finding that there is a oil leak comong fro the right hand rocket cover gasket then the oil seeps onto hot exaust and then i get fumes in the cabin they are also doing a gasket under this area will find out next week 8th april and let you know how i get on
ps i took it to an vw specalist not the dealers.
You can tell if its this buy jacking up the car drivers side and looking inside the slight hole you will see where the oil sits.
cheers
dec

1 - 14 of 14 Posts