Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a realisitc idea of the fuel economy I can expect from a V10. Currently have a V6 diesel and it reads 23.7 long term but will do 28 on motorway/out of town driving.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I am certain that 'fuel economy' and 'V10' do not live happily together in the same sentence!

I have only had my V10 for 3 weeks but it is looking like 20 mpg at the moment - most of my driving is mixed/urban with a bit of spirited country road thrown into the mix!
I had a Volvo T5 before the V10 - it was petrol and pretty thirsty too - more like what you get with yours but at half the engine capacity of the V10!

V10's are made to be enjoyed - the beast is pure indulgence - I have bought it to have fun with, not to save money with!
I guess when you buy a vehicle like this you don't buy it because it is economical, you buy it because it doesn't make sense and not everything in life needs to!

Fuel consumption is yet to be judged properly but clearly, no way could I make sense of owning a V10 if I didn't do so few miles a year - last year I drove less than 5000 miles!

Anyway, it's not mine to justify, it's mine to enjoy!!

Cheers,

John.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
In for a penny, in for a pound Andy!!

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
andynpz said:
Hey John,

Didn't you think about speccing it up a bit?

Cheers, Andy
Cheapskate . . . and can only afford the fuel for 5K as well! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have seen a best of 34mpg on a days run out on Welsh country lanes mixed with 70mph on the motorway, I reckon this is due to resetting the gearbox, the best I saw before that was about 30mpg, mine has had a re map as well. I can get around 22 mpg around town with a very careful right foot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have seen a best of 34mpg on a days run out on Welsh country lanes mixed with 70mph on the motorway, I reckon this is due to resetting the gearbox, the best I saw before that was about 30mpg, mine has had a re map as well. I can get around 22 mpg around town with a very careful right foot.
Hey Linn,

I am new here, first post. I have just bought a V10 and am looking forward to it! But like many owners I imagine, am slightly anxious about fuel costs...

Can I ask, who did your remap to be getting 30 mpg driving around town?

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
"slightly anxious about fuel costs"
you,re kidding right? did you check under the bonnet ?
ITS V10 NOT V1.0 , its a bit like joining the army & telling your commanding officer you,re a concerned about loud bangs
fill it up & enjoy it ,
V10,s work on smiles per gallon
& welcome to tregville , ,its a great place to holiday but it ain,t the cheapest

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
"
ITS V10 NOT V1.0 , its a bit like joining the army & telling your commanding officer you,re a concerned about loud bangs
Genius! Still chuckling!!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My other car is a Jag (3.0 S-Type Sport) bought new 6 years ago. When it was a couple of weeks old (so still running it in and being gentle) we went on holiday to Lynmouth- Devon to a favorite hotel of ours- on the way there we went via Porlock Hill (a 1-in-4 hill that lasts about 1 miles)- on the way up the Instant MPG reading on the computer read a constant 0.5mpg- gulp. 2 Gallons to get up a hill- I should have taken the toll road......

Cas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gotta sort my profile out so I get updates when people reply!

Yeah, I know that fuel economy and V10 don't go together, just trying to see what I am likely to get. I will get the car mapped so hopefully when the Mrs is driving it around town it won't dip under 20 - hopefully nearer 25! And when I am driving it I'll get those extra smiles

Speaking of single figures, I took a new RS6 to Spa and back last summer for a 4 day trip with a friend. We average 8.6 mpg for the trip
Even worse than a 997 GT2 with us that was on 10.2 for the trip.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
24 & 30 , acceptable ? V10 ? ecstatic more like , ,i,ve only half the engine & i,m looking at similar figures ,
for the available performance & size that,s pretty impressive

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
It's not mapped
Genuine figures taken from my car which has done 28k
I don't drive it hard ( I gave that up after the S4 went)
I drive it like a tregshould be driven

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not mapped
Genuine figures taken from my car which has done 28k
I don't drive it hard ( I gave that up after the S4 went)
I drive it like a tregshould be driven
Well, if I get near those figures I will be very happy! My wife will contribute towards those figures, I will probably do the opposite
How should Tregs be driven though, you're not supposed to crawl around in a V10!

Oh, I like yours by the way, very nice

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
The Treg is a big car so you tend not to chuck it around as you might something a little smaller or more nimble and somehow, sitting up high and surveying the hoi polloi in their little tin boxes around you, things just don't seem quite so urgent so you tend to be a little more leisurely and even, dare I say it, more courteous to the common herd ..... until some little sh*t wearing his baseball cap back to front looking a right dork and playing his music too loudly annoys you and then you climb all over him and frighten the little b*gger and his mates to death!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Treg is a big car so you tend not to chuck it around as you might something a little smaller or more nimble and somehow, sitting up high and surveying the hoi polloi in their little tin boxes around you, things just don't seem quite so urgent so you tend to be a little more leisurely and even, dare I say it, more courteous to the common herd ..... until some little sh*t wearing his baseball cap back to front looking a right dork and playing his music too loudly annoys you and then you climb all over him and frighten the little b*gger and his mates to death!
I think we'll be getting along just fine on here

I have been lucky enough to drive several Cayennes over the years and those things shift so although I do understand that you tend to be little more restrained and considerate, at the same time, as you say, these things move. Best saved for driving in Europe I imagine though, our rubbish roads over here are too small and too crap. Although crap roads can simply be driven here in a Treg without feeling them I imagine

1 - 20 of 33 Posts