Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2005 SE Sport 2.5 and am tickled pink with it. Its somehow gives me a feel-good factor that I wasn't expecting and has already received compliments from random people. The colour, which is a light ice-blue (I don't know the VW name) is also reasonable rare as far as I can find out. At least it is the first one that I have noticed in this colour.

Anyhow, back to the problem.

The front fogs have internal condensation. Five minutes with the fogs switched on clears the condensation (mostly) but they cloud over fairly quickly after switching off.

Do I need to replace the fogs (car is just over 3 years old, so out of warranty) or is there a 'fix'? And how much should I pay the VW stealers for the privilege?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi oldrascal,

its not a common problem - in fact I cant really remember much discussion on the problem at all - is there any water in the fog lamp? I wonder if its been submerged and water has got in? If this is the case, then it should burn away after some use - otherwise maybe have a chat with your local VW dealer technician

Kaine

G

·
I haven't looked under my front bumper and it's dark and raining right now, but I wonder if it's possible to remove the bulb/bulb holder and direct hot air from a hairdryer into the lamp

Cheers, Andy

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Fairly easy to remove the whole unit. First unclip the plastic surround (there's a tab atthe top which you pull off first). Then you'll see a 3 screws, one towards the top and 2 at the side. Remove the screws and disconnect the wiring plug.

Use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry it out. I've done this myself and when reassembled I put some silicon grease on the rubber seal. Haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Geraout - thanks for the clear description.

I have just tried to remove the trim surround to the fog-lamps. The tab comes away neatly enough and I can see how the rest of the moulding should be able to be pulled off.

But even though I have tried prising gently with a flat-bladed screwdriver, I can't seem to budge it. I am unwilling to force it in case it breaks.

Any ideas or hints?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
It can require a bit of a tug. Try pulling from the bottom part of the cover. I didn't find that removing mine snapped any of the lugs off.

Good luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had water ingress to my offside fog lamp since owning the car - according to the dealer it's because the bumper is bust - not an explanation that holds water for me!
I hve just removed the fog for the second time to empty out about half a cupful of water (the light still works) and dry out the lamp with an oven on low setting, a cloth on a stick and a hairdryer.

Result is a tiny bit of condensation now the lamp is reinstalled and cooled off, but much better than before. God knows how the water is getting into the lamp - my last fix involved covering the lamp seating with Vaseline, now I am trying PTFE tape.

Note that there is a grey plug at the bottom of the lamp that pulls off to reveal a hole - it does have a good water seal, but this may be the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, I have the same model as yourself and have the exact same problem with the rear o/s light cluster, its full of condensation and is now turning green insde, would appreciate any advice. Cheers!

·
400 Posts
my o/s rear cluster is doing the same. Im gonna take it off clean it out then put some sealent around the original stuff. hopefully this solves it as im too tight to pay for a new one.... although the new smoked type look pretty good..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts