Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my own, but I thought you might like to see these pics of the car I use as my Avatar - Based on the 2.5, it is fully armoured and has the ability to mount a remote weapons station with either a 7.62mm MG3 machine gun or a 40mm grenade launcher. And look at the tyres on the MK1

A friend in Germany called Frank Baunach (he's a member of a military vehicle forum I frequent) was kind enough to give me permission to post these pics that he took last year - The new shape Treg is the VW demonstrator and the pics were taken at Augustdorf Army Base Open Day. The remaining pics of the MK1 were taken at the Army Museum (I think its in Koblenz).

Sadly, the Bundeswehr decided not to proceed with the program and are looking at military spec vehicles instead (after experience in A-stan)

you'll probably laugh, but when my car is old and knackered, I'm seriously considering blinging mine up to Frettchen spec

Enjoy

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts

I tell you what stubs, after spending a weekend gingerly guiding my shiny new Touareg around in the woods with a bunch of lifted and winched up Land Rovers, I seriously got the off-road bug. I was thinking of buying a Defender and doing it up, but ...

... I'm not saying I'll do this to my new one (eek!) but, having seen this and knowing how capable my car was against the Landies, I'm now seriously thinking of doing a VW Touareg up to proper off-road spec and this Frettchen looks the mutt's.

Want to stay in touch and collaborate on the project in a year or so?!

Chris

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
That's the dog's danglers!

I like the seemingly detatchable reversing sensors with the red dots - or are those the muzzles of four rearward facing machine guns?!

Given that you can pick up a petreg for about ?6K now . . . .

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Given that you can pick up a petreg for about ?6K now . . . .
Yeah ... now, that's a real thought. Hmmmn. Need a lie down.

G

·
Horses for courses of course, but that looks dam right silly in my mind,
as a Touareg owner myself, Would you take a Touareg into battle considering its can be somewhat unreliability esp its electronics?
If our Main Dealers cant fix them, then the army lads with there old imperial sized spanners couldn't even attempt to touch them.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reckon it looks better than some of these kerbsters with the 22 inch wheels and stoopid body kits IMHO - certainly looks 'workmanlike' rather than OTT

The main reason they were going to purchase them was to enable Officers to travel behind the frontlines without looking to 'militaristic' - not to be in the midst of battle

As for reliability - remember the 2.5 is little more than a VW Transporter underneath, and I believe the Bundeswehr found them very reliable in comparison to the competition for this exact reason - It was just a matter of priorities changing, so the project was scrapped

G

·
John, Great pics - and now I want one too!

Best looking Landie was/is always the "lightweight", in matt drab or camo, with lots of kit. And so it is with Treg.

Amazing how much dark wheels alone change the look - tempted to get my 18" Valleys painted black - very sinister :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers, Andy

G

·
mjstubley said:
I reckon it looks better than some of these kerbsters with the 22 inch wheels and stoopid body kits IMHO - certainly looks 'workmanlike' rather than OTT

The main reason they were going to purchase them was to enable Officers to travel behind the frontlines without looking to 'militaristic' - not to be in the midst of battle

As for reliability - remember the 2.5 is little more than a VW Transporter underneath, and I believe the Bundeswehr found them very reliable in comparison to the competition for this exact reason - It was just a matter of priorities changing, so the project was scrapped
what does your actual Touareg look like, have you got pics ?

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bnl said:
what does your actual Touareg look like, have you got pics ?
Why do you ask?

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah

Just the tyres got a bit scutty driving through some deep grass - rest of the car was spotless and freshly polished

Certainly shows the extremes you can go to with 'accessorising' and still end up with a cool looking car though but like you say, horses for courses

btw - Just looking at your car on the other post .....not sure if its been answered elsewhere - how was the Kamei mask to fit? And is it durable?

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
s4treg said:
as a Touareg owner myself, I wouldn't like to take a Touareg into the frontline or battle field considering its fragile reliability
It's not really that unreliable a vehicle is it? I mean, I know we have a forum here with a "problem, bugs and fixes" section but it's because of its very existence that we get to hear of the said problems and bugs. Speaking as a former Land Rover owner I wouldn't say that the weight of posts on here is negative in terms of reliability.

That's one of the attractions of doing up a Treg for proper off-roading - the reliablity factor. I don't want to have to jump out and tighten up the hand brake every tea break or have the rocker cover off over lunch ... both of which happened with my colleagues in Land Rovers on a recent trip.

It's a great vehicle; we need to big it up.

Chris

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Whilst we're talking Kamei, has anyone fitted the Kamei headlight "eye brows"?

I reckon they're really nice - such a simple device to make the car look wider and lower but absolutely no bling.

And painted black, I think they'd go really well with my black, badgeless grille and enhance the discreet look I value in a a car.

http://www.tregcentral.com/scripts/prod ... roduct=220

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
mjstubley said:
you'll probably laugh, but when my car is old and knackered, I'm seriously considering blinging mine up to Frettchen spec

Enjoy
Are you going to mount the 7.62mm MG3 machine gun or a 40mm grenade launcher to your treg ? Great in traffic jams

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmm Choices Choices.......

7.62 for pedestrians and cycle courriers
40mm for those stubborn trucks

Has to be the 40mm MK19

1 - 15 of 15 Posts