Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floating this as a potential idea for this forum.....(sorry if it has been suggested before)

Generally I see in this forum like me most people are very happy with their Touaregs, but probably the most common topic/gripe relates to tyres. Due to the fact that Touaregs have a tendency to eat them up.

Given that being a 4x4 it is important that the tread depth left to right is the same and between front to back tread difference is relatively small, then if you are unlucky enough to get a puncture that is not repairable you can end up spending a significant ammount of money on replacing perfectly good tyres so as to ensure you have correct tread depth,

If you are like me, I keep the good part worn tyres in the garage in the hope that next time I get a puncture I can use one of them rather then buying a brand new tyre. But unfortunately never works out that way and the stock pile builds up.

So here is the idea.....

- It looks like there is a lot of commonality in the tyres we all use
- If there are other people out there doing the same like me
- This would increase the probablilty of a same tyre of the correct tread depth being out there in the forum
- What if we were to set up a forum tyre market place to list and trade tyres in the group?
- Few rules would need to be set up - eg Even tyre wear, no repaired tyres etc
- Pricing structure could be - use lowest internet reference price eg Blackcircle tyres and then prorata to the tread depth you have , then minus say 15%.

What do you think ?

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
It's a good idea in principle.

But one possible problem I foresee is the speed of replacement.

Because the Treg doesn't have a proper spare wheel, if you need a new tyre - or a new secondhand one - you need it NOW!

So unless the people with the right tyre are available - assuming they see even the PM asking for their tyre - the same day to collect and despatch a tyre from their home for delviery next day, earliest or after a weekend in the request came on a Friday, anyone who needs a tyre quickly would probably just get on and buy a pair the same or next day.

I keep meaning to buy a pair of 17" wheels and bang on another pair of UHPs and then swap tyres around to even up wear with the advantage of having 2 spares one of which I'd probably keep in the car.

G

·
I bought a wheel (18" Valley as on my Treg) for GBP 20 off eBay - got a part used Conti fitted for about GBP 70. Tread is 6mm so will be within 3 mm of any tyre on car down to 3 mm. I keep it at home and would fit it while I considered my options in the event of an unrepairable puncture.

Naturally, I haven't needed it!! But it is comforting insurance, for amodest price and covers pretty much any eventuality except long trips to france or similar.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I like the reasoning on the used tyre tread depth choice.

Now I only need one standard 17" wheel. Anyone got one please?

And has anyone got a part worn 255/60/17 Grabber UHP with 6mm of tread left please?

And, of course, it's sod's law that when you have a proepr wheel and tyre, you don't need them

I've had three punctures in as many months in the same rear offside tyre: the major flat occurred as I pulled up alongside the 110 so it was wheel off and down to the tyre company in the Landie - and two slow punctures so it was down to the tyre fitter under Tommy Treg's own steam.

G

·
noobytoogy said:
.......having 2 spares one of which I'd probably keep in the car.
I have considered carrying my full size spare. Obviously, one wouldn't take it to France as it would reduce the boot capacity for wine
And it is surprisingly big, once on the boot floor. At which point you look at it and imagine the possibilities of a loose 50 lb object smacking you on the back of the neck in a crash :shock:

Probably best left in the garage!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I don't like flying objects: I once found two people in a 3.8 Jag that had run offf the road into a tree and they had been killed by their loose Alsation flying forward from the rear seat in the days before headrests, so most things have been tied down when in my boot for 40 years now!

As most of my mileage is local with a 110 available [with a proper spare!] for larger loads, its more the inconvenience factor of not being able to swap onto a standard wheel plus the complete buggeration factor of blowing up the temporary spare on the side of the road.

My first Range Rovers had the spare mounted vertically in the boot - funny they never seemed to be encroaching on the load space and the Treg wheel's only an inch wider.

Anyway, now trying to trrack down a wheel or two...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts