Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
190 Posts
Just noticed this evening that I have a fluid leak coming from the front of the vehicle directly under the radiator. Its not coolant but an oily fluid, dark red in colour. So its not coolant, deisel, nor do I think its brake fluid - power steering fluid???

No warning lights and steering still feels fine. Any ideas?

·
717 Posts
More likely it is automatic transmission fluid.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where would you think the leaks coming from, is there a reservoir or hoses near the front of the engine bay?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought you might like to know the outcome of my problem. Bolton, you were correct, leak of transmission fluid. Turns out that two high pressure pipes that run to the gearbox oil cooler at the top of the radiator pass over a sharp plastic edge on their way to the cooler and that over time the rubbing action had eventually 'sawn' through the pipes.

My local independant VW garage replaced the pipes and now I'm back on the road again. They reckon its a poor design and that if its happened to me then its likely to happen to others!!

Labour intensive job, removed bumper, grille and headlights to get to the pipes. Total cost ?497 which isn't bad considering 6 hours labour.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
why not ?

·
717 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, six hours labour though!!!
And why did your warranty not stump up? Did you lodge a claim?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres WD's response....

'We are writing with reference to the recent claim on the above policy. Unfortunately, only the items that are listed on the policy items covered card in your policy documentation, may be the subject of a claim. Any items that are not specifically listed are not insured by the underwriters. I am sorry that we are unable to assist you on this occasion'

My policy is an 'Extra Care' !!!

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
would have expected hoses in general to have been covered , got 3 weeks before my WD cover needs renewing , might just grill them on this before i pass over my dough
I69 , what year,mileage,model are you running ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts