Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gearbox in manual mode. Approach roundabout at 40mph, gearbox comes down gears, into second, go round roundabout, push the right flappy paddle (+) to go up a gear and the car goes down a gear, almost redlining in 1st gear!

WTF?!?

Had previously put this down to user error, but its definitely not!!!

Doesn't happen with the gear stick...

Cant repeat it, so having to go back to VW....

No confidence in flappy paddles, dont want a blown engine, just a gear box that does what its told!!!! :)

Any thoughts?!

Cheers

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
Gearbox in manual mode. Approach roundabout at 40mph, gearbox comes down gears, into second, go round roundabout, push the right flappy paddle (+) to go up a gear and the car goes down a gear, almost redlining in 1st gear!

WTF?!?

Had previously put this down to user error, but its definitely not!!!

Doesn't happen with the gear stick...

Cant repeat it, so having to go back to VW....

No confidence in flappy paddles, dont want a blown engine, just a gear box that does what its told!!!! :)

Any thoughts?!

Cheers
Not ever heard of any others reporting a similar issue... a fault code scan might possibly help.
Paddle shifters that turn with the steering wheel are crap and no more than a gimmick imo. The fact that your issue appears to happen in a turn still suggests that your getting crossed up with the paddles. That's not a criticism of you and your driving, it would happen to anyone.
If you must use tiptronic mode maybe just use the gear selector lever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try mine but I didn't buy an auto to to change gears manually:D
err, thanks for that....

i dont expect a vehicle to do the opposite of what its told. seems like a fundamental requirement that the gearbox behaves itself!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not ever heard of any others reporting a similar issue... a fault code scan might possibly help.
Paddle shifters that turn with the steering wheel are crap and no more than a gimmick imo. The fact that your issue appears to happen in a turn still suggests that your getting crossed up with the paddles. That's not a criticism of you and your driving, it would happen to anyone.
If you must use tiptronic mode maybe just use the gear selector lever.
its booked into vw on monday. hopefully they detect an error code.

the issue is not isolated to changing gear when cornering. it also happened today when chaging up from 3rd into 4th, but when down to 2nd! it also happened when traveling in a straight line. i am not mad! and i really do know my left from right, honest!

i do enjoy the tiptronic mode and am happy enough using the gear selector lever, but im sure the flappy paddles should work correctly?!

in my old mistubishi i had issues with some of the steering wheel buttons, and from what i can reacall, there isnt a wiring loom per se. i think there might be some kinda constant PWM signal that depressing a buttom breaks, which in turn sends a command to a control unit. as you can tell, i am no tech, so here's hoping vw can sort it!!

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
I didn't say you were mad. Only gave an opinion based on what you've said.
From what you're now saying the right upshift paddle seems suspect... if the downshift side and the gear selector lever are always performing the correct switching?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't say you were mad. Only gave an opinion based on what you've said.
From what you're now saying the right upshift paddle seems suspect... if the downshift side and the gear selector lever are always performing the correct switching?
I know mate! :) im grateful for your input!! (y)

yes, logically i think you are right. never happens with gear stick and never have the problem with the left paddle...

will update the thread after vw have had a look.

(oh and i think the thing i was rambling about in my previous post is called a 'slip ring'.

cheers!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Clock spring is the usual name for it (y)
Slip ring is a genuine technical term for a contactor designed to be used to make an electrical connection with an item on a rotating shaft. Clock spring is something entirely different.
I'm an ex aircraft instrument technician and both those things were the bane of my life, especially slip rings on gyroscopes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Slip ring is a genuine technical term for a contactor designed to be used to make an electrical connection with an item on a rotating shaft. Clock spring is something entirely different.
I'm an ex aircraft instrument technician and both those things were the bane of my life, especially slip rings on gyroscopes.
I know slip rings are a genuine technical term ( ex Licenced avionics tech with Monarch) but they are generally called clock springs in the automotive field especially when referring to the steering wheel connections

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know slip rings are a genuine technical term ( ex Licenced avionics tech with Monarch) but they are generally called clock springs in the automotive field especially when referring to the steering wheel connections
Every day a learning day. Never heard that one before

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for clarifying gents.

service advisor suggested that if it were the slip ring that i would prob be having more problems...

will update once they have diagnosed.

cheers

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
34 Posts
I thought the "clock spring" style steering wheel connection is a spiral spring assembly ( like a clock spring) with a wire loom built into it, that enables the the wheel to turn. As it turns it winds up and back the clock spring and its attached loom ?

Slip rings where a sliding contact is moved along a turning ring used to be used on steering wheels for basic horn connections and maybe air bag ignition but I did not think they are used on modern cars with all the multiple steering wheel functions and sensitive electronics. They are also used in assemblies where an infinite number of turns of a rotating powered assembly is needed such as in an alternator, not just 3 or 4 turns like in a steering wheel

But I may be wrong with respect the Touareg as I have luckily never needed to pull out the steering assembly.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,991 Posts
I thought the "clock spring" style steering wheel connection is a spiral spring assembly ( like a clock spring) with a wire loom built into it, that enables the the wheel to turn. As it turns it winds up and back the clock spring and its attached loom ?

Slip rings where a sliding contact is moved along a turning ring used to be used on steering wheels for basic horn connections and maybe air bag ignition but I did not think they are used on modern cars with all the multiple steering wheel functions and sensitive electronics. They are also used in assemblies where an infinite number of turns of a rotating powered assembly is needed such as in an alternator, not just 3 or 4 turns like in a steering wheel

But I may be wrong with respect the Touareg as I have luckily never needed to pull out the steering assembly.
That's my understanding of how the clock spring works in a modern car - and why it's called a clock spring, not a slip ring.

While my Touareg was under warranty, I complained to the dealer that the clock spring was noisy so they replaced it, with clock spring on the job sheet!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update - My local VW dealer just called to say they cannot work on my vehicle due to poor historical repair work. I am now expecting a full refund.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM PARKWAY DERBY.

I am so annoyed. No car over Xmas. £26k out of pocket.

Any advice appreciated!!!!

FUMING!!!!!!!

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
😯 Was it a purchased from a VW dealer, have you been told you will be refunded?
Just out of interest what are the repairs that they are not happy with?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
😯 Was it a purchased from a VW dealer, have you been told you will be refunded?
Just out of interest what are the repairs that they are not happy with?
Yes it was - Parkway in Derby.

They have confirmed they will refund the money.

In terms of the sub standard repairs - I did not press my local for further detail. It was pretty clear that they were not happy with the repairs and when I asked what my options are and was told - get your money back!!! And I don't think they would have said that lightly!

Bottom line is that when you buy a used approved and then find that another VW dealer wont work on it, something is very wrong.

And of course used prices have gone up and I cant find anything that has a similar spec for similar money. Have found another Treg thats with Parkway, but its £3k more. Not sure if thats too much of an ask in terms of goodwill!? (time will tell!)

Might have to involve VW CS tomorrow as I am so angry about the whole experience!

Really, really, really unhappy. Parkway are lucky that they are 250 miles away....

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
I see. I wasn't sure if Parkway was where you have taken the car.
I'd be pushing for an exchange for the other car you have found. If they're comparable as to age and milage they should stump up the extra for your inconvenience.
Understand your anger... Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see. I wasn't sure if Parkway was where you have taken the car.
I'd be pushing for an exchange for the other car you have found. If they're comparable as to age and milage they should stump up the extra for your inconvenience.
Understand your anger... Good luck.
The MD confirmed they wont exchange. TBH, its prob for the best, I dont want anything else to do with em.

Just found another one, which i have just put a deposit down on, so with any luck, I will get it soon and wont have to deal with Parkway in Derby ever again.

And, maybe the gearbox will do as its told!

Here's hoping!!

(this definately WAS NOT the conclusion to this thread i had expected)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts