Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new so appologies if I missed this somewhere and it's been discussed, I have looked at all the posts I could find regarding Fiscon Bluetooth and the one thing that seems to be missing is where the best place to put the microphone is.

So I took the roof console to bits on my Touareg to see what was in it and I found a couple of what look to be microphones. One is a large square plastic block. The other looks like a condenser mic. I've attached some rather bad photos to try and show what I found.

DSCF0198.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

I'd obviously like to install the Fiscon unit with no mic showing so was wondering if anyone's ever used either of these mics with the kit? My other option was to replace the square one, as it unplugs easily, with a piece of foam and install like this.

http://www.fiscon-mobile.com/products/mic.php

I'd appreciate any thoughts on either solution or pointers on how to do a decent instal of the kit. My local dealer doesn't want to know and wont help.

Also, I'm guessing I need to use a VAG-COM to complete the install? The manuals online seem to be missing Touareg codes and some sites seem to state the Fiscon unit is plug and play no coding required?

Thanks.

Ian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
ijd2009 said:
Hi,

... I found a couple of what look to be microphones. One is a large square plastic block. The other looks like a condenser mic. I've attached some rather bad photos to try and show what I found.
Ian
The "condenser mic" is one of the transmitter / receivers for the ultrasonic alarm. Two are in the front rectangular covers and one in one of the round covers. Cheeky I know but if you look at this eBay listing 260434918071 you'll see the part ...

The block type one will be the microphone (see this eBay listing 120465787494 )

·
13 Posts
Thanks.

It's the one on the left I'm interested in, this one looks like a VW Microphone (it's made by Paragon), can you confirm that it is? If it is I could possibly re-use it or replace it with the mic that comes with the Fiscon unit.

Edit: Sorry geraout I found the listing ... the left hand one's the Mic so now I just need to work out where the wiring goes. I wonder if it's possible to use it with a Fiscon kit. Failing that any thoughts on where I could get one of the foam blanks VW use instead of the microphones? The one they show on that web page that was used to fit the Fiscon mic in the mic area.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Hi ijd, have you got any update on this install yet. I'm going to buy a Fiscon unit within the next couple of weeks and would also like to utilise the factory mic position but all the info I've read so far says the Fiscon mic has to be fitted in front of the driver - ie on the A pillar or headlining. I'm not sure the stock VW mic will work with the Fiscon unit unless you know otherwise. I haven't had a look in my car yet but it seems that the VW mic might be a standard pre-install to facilitate a future VW phone unit upgrade, or maybe I don't have it - I'll have to check.

I'm looking to buy the Fiscon Plus/Pro ? and the additional upgrade kit to allow voice dialling - I need to upgrade my RNS-510 to software version 2660 first to be able to do this so that's maybe the first step for me. Let's know how you get on - might be worth emailing Fiscon direct to see what they say about the stock VW mic - I'm guessing they might say it's not compatable with their unit. I would think any simple piece of foam could be cut to house the Fiscon mic if you go down that route - check with a local car radio installer, I'm sure they will have some.

Fiscon kit here:

http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/rns_510.php?brand=vw

and upgrade kit here:

http://www.fiscon-mobile.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=voice+control&language=en

Edit: One thing I'm unsure of - having read the Fiscon blurb again, it definately states that their unit is not compatable with the VW factory mic, does that mean that I will need 2 mics to enable both voice activation of the controls for the RNS-510 unit and a separate mic for the Fiscon bluetooth unit to make/receive calls ? or have I lost the plot on this ?

Cass

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Cass,

Sounds like you haven't lost the plot on the two mike thing. That's how I read it too.

Also, it might be worth checking whether you have a Version C head unit to start with. If not, VW might get a bit tetchy about you installing the new firmware; the talk is that 2660 can cause unreliability issues on older head units - Stu has posted about that specifically though and can give you more details.

Just worth checking, that's all.

Chris

[STOP PRESS!!]

I don't get Oil and Water temps, boost and RPM on my MFD! I want it. Now! How do I get it?

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

No updates yet apart from the fact that Fiscon confirmed I can't use the factory microphone. I'm still collecting all the bits I need to do the install:

Radio removal tools
Trim removal tools (didn't like the idea of using steel tools to remove the trim on my 1 year old car)
VAG-COM - I figured I'd buy one as it'll come in handy for other stuff and none of my local dealers wanted to help me out programming the radio etc. - just been told it's arrived so will no doubt lock myself in the car tonight and set off the air bags trying to make it work

The bit (ironically) that I am having real issues getting is that damn foam block. No part number and nobody seems to know where I can get one from. I'm starting to think about buying a sheet of 15mm foam and making one.

I still plan to disassemble the mic, add it to the foam block install it in place of the factory mic and crank up the gain to see if it'll work ok. The fact Fiscon put the page up saying how to do it makes me think it's worth a try. On the plus side the kit turned up so I have that, it looks well built but the instructions are a little light on detail for fitting.

Would you like me to document what I do in the end so you can see how I got on?

One person that has been really helpful, especially given I didn't buy the kit from them is: Holger at www.fiscon-mobile.de who also thinks that he can supply the foam blanks as well at some point so if this works and you want to do it maybe it's better to buy from him.

On the two mic front I think you would need to put the Fiscon mic somewhere else if you plan to use the VW one for voice control, I just want Bluetooth so will be potentially just replacing the VW mic with the Fiscon adaptation.

On the boost stats and everything else isn't that just for vehicles with red dis? I think that was what I read in the docs .. again will check once I have the kit in the car.

--Ian

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

No updates yet apart from the fact that Fiscon confirmed I can't use the factory microphone. I'm still collecting all the bits I need to do the install:

Radio removal tools
Trim removal tools (didn't like the idea of using steel tools to remove the trim on my 1 year old car)
VAG-COM - I figured I'd buy one as it'll come in handy for other stuff and none of my local dealers wanted to help me out programming the radio etc. - just been told it's arrived so will no doubt lock myself in the car tonight and set off the air bags trying to make it work

The bit (ironically) that I am having real issues getting is that damn foam block. No part number and nobody seems to know where I can get one from. I'm starting to think about buying a sheet of 15mm foam and making one.

I still plan to disassemble the mic, add it to the foam block install it in place of the factory mic and crank up the gain to see if it'll work ok. The fact Fiscon put the page up saying how to do it makes me think it's worth a try. On the plus side the kit turned up so I have that, it looks well built but the instructions are a little light on detail for fitting.

Would you like me to document what I do in the end so you can see how I got on?

One person that has been really helpful, especially given I didn't buy the kit from them is: Holger at www.fiscon-mobile.de who also thinks that he can supply the foam blanks as well at some point so if this works and you want to do it maybe it's better to buy from him.

On the two mic front I think you would need to put the Fiscon mic somewhere else if you plan to use the VW one for voice control, I just want Bluetooth so will be potentially just replacing the VW mic with the Fiscon adaptation.

On the boost stats and everything else isn't that just for vehicles with red dis? I think that was what I read in the docs .. again will check once I have the kit in the car.

--Ian

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
ijd,

Yep, you need 2 mics for the RNS-510 VW voice activation and another for the Fiscon bluetooth. Got an email from Fiscon to confirm. Treg should have the VW mic already installed, just need the Fiscon adapter lead. DIY install guide would be good !

Wurzel, my car is a May 09 model so I believe I have the Version C unit. Not sure of software version, think I need VAG.COM to confirm. Have PM'd Stu on this.

Cass

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Cass,

I'm interested to know what the Fiscon Adapter lead is for .... is that to connect the VW mic to the Fiscon Bluetooth unit?

Thanks,

--Ian

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Ian,

According to the email I got from Fiscon the VW phone mic is standard kit in the Treg and needs to be connected to the RNS-510. Not sure where the stock mic cable is or where it is routed. You need the 2660 software upgrade to make the RNS-510 voice activation facility work.

The Fiscon mic is obviously connected to their Bluetooth unit.

I can forward the email I got with some links if required. Give me a PM if you want it.

Cass

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Well I installed the microphone. It was not easy to do but it's in position. Hopefully the stereo removal tools I ordered a week ago will turn up soon and I can then finish the job. I didn't manage to take pictures of my install as I was having too much fun getting the trim off (and back on). I have documented it a bit and used some images from the document I was using to do the install.

If it's worth doing let me know and I'll finish it off as I complete the install. One thing I did have to do is cut the 3.5mm plug off the microphone cable. It's a right angle plug and wouldn't fit where I was running it. I didn't want to subject the microphone to being routed through the car. I'll buy a new one and solder it onto the cable now it's run in.

--Ian

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Ian,

Presumably you are referring to the Fiscon mic - were did you intall it - in the roof console with the felt insulation piece ?

Where did you route the cable and what trim did you remove ?

Hopefully cutting off the plug and soldering on a new one won't affect the sound quality of the mic : )

Cass

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Cass.

Yes, it was the Fiscon mic with a piece of foam in the roof console. The cable routed out over the ceiling on the drivers side and then down the A pillar above the airbags where there's a current loom, I just tie wrapped onto that. I would have taken pictures but it was proving to be a bit of a pain getting trim off and back on again. So I now have a cable sitting waiting for a new plug near the diag socket. Once I fix that and can get the stereo out I can complete the install relatively quickly I hope.

--Ian

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi.

Well it's in and configured via the VAG-COM. Only issue is I now have a load of faults showing up:

VCDS Version: Release 908.1
Data version: 20091018

Wednesday,10,February,2010,15:08:04:52379

Gateway Installation List: 6N0 909 901

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
18-Aux. Heat -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
22-AWD -- Status: OK 0000
37-Navigation -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
56-Radio -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
68-Wiper Electr. -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
76-Park Assist -- Status: OK 0000
77-Telephone -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000

So I'm not best pleased given this is simply a loom that plugs in between the RNS510 and the VW loom. If it turns out to be faulty I think I'll simply return the unit and get a refund as a module that expensive which is so "simple to fit" yet generates this many faults isn't staying in my car. As it is I now have to disassemble the whole lot again to try and check the wiring. Everything clicked home ok and everything seems to work so I don't understand why I have these errors.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Well managed to clear off the errors via a different route in VAG-COM and they haven't returned. Have the microphone connected and made a few test calls. The quality is incredibly poor with the microphone in the factory position. I need to decide whether to return the entire kit and do something else or live with a microphone on the A pillar. Right now I'm leaning towards sending it back as I hate microphones dangling off bits of trim. All in all it was worth a try but it probably isn't going to be what I want.

Oh well ..

--Ian

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Ian,

I contacted them about supplying a bluetooth kit for my car and specifically asked about this VW item as well as the Fiscon unit.

As they didn't do a fitting service in the North East, they recommended the Fiscon unit as a simple plug and play DIY install. The recommended mic position is either on the A pillar trim or on the roof headlining above the drivers position (this could be fairly unobtrusive if you mount it at the front of the roof lighting unit and angle it towards the driver). I'm guessing that you have either poor insulation around the mic and are picking up a lot of transmitted background sounds from the car or the mic lead signal has degraded after you cut the connector off and soldered on a new plug.

Where did you get your unit from ? I'd contact the supplier in the fist instance about the fault codes. It may well be that these were generic faults which simply needed clearing and do not affect either the operation of the bluetooth unit or the running of the car.

Cass

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Cass,

I bought from fiscon.co.uk who have been very good about support and very helpful. I'm going to return the kit and try the VW kit in the above post instead. I'll let you know how it goes. That one will use the OEM mic position but I have a feeling I still have to run a new mic cable as it's on their loom.

·
55 Posts
Chaps I've had the fiscon basic plus in 'the beast' for about three weeks now and i have to say Im really pleased with it. I do have one question for those who have one... Do you guys use the bluetooth streaming of music, if so have you found a way to get it to play through all speakers in stereo rather than the font two in mono? I'm assuming that it's because its transmitting the sound in through the phone's physical connection which is mono rather than the aux input...?

Comments would be appreciated.
Ta

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts