Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from our first holiday of the year, spent the week on a CL in Battle.
Only an hour or so from home but a good run with the van and car fully loaded.
I made good use of ACC which identified the correct speeds for towing 95% of the time but as with normal driving missed a few speed limit changes. Let it take me around a roundabout once just to see how it faired. Was fine but accelerated too quickly once on the roundabout, so didn't attempt again.

Drove with a mix of Sport and Comfort. Sport makes for a nice stable ride taking a lot of the bounce on the hitch out of the equation. Comfort was nicer for the passengers on the slower poor quality roads. In sport I dropped the transmission back to standard drive, which coped more than adequately.

Think I'll be investing in a set of the Milenco Platinum mirrors. I need a longer arm anyway and the clamp on the mirror worries me. Also there is sparse room between the mirror (actual) and the plastic wing mirror surround so getting the blade of the clamp in far enough was difficult.

There was a fairly poor dirt track on the run into the CL so I used it as an excuse to use the off-road setting on the suspension (without the van attached).
As you can see, it was very much upstanding in it's field!

2021-04-14 13.58.10-1.jpg

2021-04-14 14.33.57.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to add - I spent a half hour or so each was on the M25. One of the main reasons I ditched my last car was the effect of turbulence from HGVs and large vehicles. It was literally non-existent with the Treg. I passed a few HGVs and felt the tiniest of pulls on the van as I passed but so slight no real steering correction was required. Extremely stable as I'd hoped for!

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
CL?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caravan and Motorhome club's Certificated Locations. Small sites, usually no more then a field with water and waste disposal and a maximum of 5 vans on site.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
So you don't have to dig your own latrine then?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Positively 5 star. We get to crap in our own posh flushing bucket!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Looks good, like the colour. My humble T1 was always a good tow with 2 tonnes behind it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John. I can't compare to the T1,2 or 3 but reckon the T5 holds the Treg towing reputation well

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks John. I can't compare to the T1,2 or 3 but reckon the T5 holds the Treg towing reputation well
I'm sure it will, great tow cars for sure. I went from the Touareg to L322 Range Rover which was a better tug, amazing engine and gearbox but the quality was not a patch on the VW. I'm sure the engine and gearbox on VW's latest Touareg will have narrowed / eliminated the gap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
3 weekends now I've pulled with my T5 , what a smooth and effortless drive and I agree that wind buffering from trucks is vastly reduced
Shan't be changing this set up for the next 10 years ????

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,880 Posts
Caravan and Motorhome club's Certificated Locations. Small sites, usually no more then a field with water and waste disposal and a maximum of 5 vans on site.
An increasing number of CLs have hard-standing with electric, water and waste piped to/from the pitch and toilets/showers for those not wanting to use their onboard facilities - but still limited to 5 vans so usually very peaceful.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Site we stayed on last year and have booked again end of July, around Salcombe way is part serviced. No waste on the pitch but fresh water hookup. That makes a huge difference with 4 of us.
I've seen increasingly plush setups in the listings. Someone advertising on the facebook CL group, fully serviced pitches with a private toilet/shower block (shed) on each pitch. Not too expensive either considering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have just ordered a Black Edition 286bhp to replace our current tow car in July. Not that it worries me too much, but what sort of MPG do you get towing and what Van is that with.

Also, have you had a chance to play with the Tow Assist feature, again, not too worried as I can reverse OK, but interested how the tech works in reality, as you still need some situational awareness to "aim" the van into the space.

Looks to be a great car and the test drive certainly impressed us.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen around 26mpg but that was a relatively short journey, 120 miles or so and not much motorway.
Our van isn't stressing the car at all weight wise. Lunar Coneyhurst (586). 1450kg MTPLM

I've not tried trailer assist. Like you, I know how to reverse a trailer. Might play with it at some point but it looks like more of a faff and slower than just doing it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen around 26mpg but that was a relatively short journey, 120 miles or so and not much motorway.
Our van isn't stressing the car at all weight wise. Lunar Coneyhurst (586). 1450kg MTPLM

I've not tried trailer assist. Like you, I know how to reverse a trailer. Might play with it at some point but it looks like more of a faff and slower than just doing it yourself.
Seems a good MPG, we have just got a Buccaneer, so upto 2000kg, will see how it goes. Heavier than our previous 1500kg Lunar, which was noticeable when towing with our current XC90, although the twin axle did make for a smooth tow.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,880 Posts
Towing mpg is dependent on the aerodynamics of the front of the caravan - our 2013 Lunar is significantly worse than the previous 2001 Bailey

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got back from Cornwall yesterday. Seemed like half the fecking country were there!
280 miles each way, M25, M4, M5, A30.
Someone had commented, I think on this forum, about the T5 sticking in a higher gear when towing, cruising up at 2k+ rpm. That's absolutely not my experience at all.
Plenty of long hauls up steep gradients on both the M5 and the south west end of he A30. Towed using ACC for the majority of the journey set at either 52 or 62mph and 90% of the time it sat in D8. Dropped to D7 for steep gradients and held my set speed. On the steepest gradients I tended to lose 2 or 3 mph so I got into the habit of manually knocking it down to M6 as the ECU seemed happy to leave it in D7 and let me lose a few mph (slightly annoying). By the time it reverted back to auto, it either held in D6 until the gradient levelled off or I already had enough momentum to carry my speed and it dropped back down to D7 or D8.

At 63mph in D8 it's turning around 1100rpm
At 63 mph in D7 it's turning around 1400rpm

Averaged 26.4mpg on the outward journey and 26.2mpg on the way home.
Baring in mind on the outward journey we literally crawled the entire length of the M5. On the return the A30 and the M5 were both stop start.

In stop start traffic ACC is worth it's weight in gold.
I'm not sure what the timeout is but unless you're at a standstill for more than 2 or 3 mins, not having to touch the peddles removes a lot of effort, especially when you're on the road for 7 plus hours. If you've stood still for more than 2 or 3 mins, a tap of the accelerator and ACC picks up again..

Didn't experience any bad crosswinds but my rig was totally stable, utterly un-phased by turbulence from other vehicles.

I've set the 'Individual' profile with sports chassis, sports steering, standard transmission settings. This is now my default for towing.

Extremely happy with the T5 as a tow car.
After 7 plus hours each way, I think I can say the ergo-comfort seats are the most comfortable I've sat in. That's saying a lot as Saab put some of the best seats in their cars and I never thought I'd find a seat as comfortable.. I have two slipped disks and intermittently suffer with lower back pain and sciatica. Took me a while to find the optimum position with the ergo-comforts but now I've found it they really support me well..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great to hear that you are happy with your rig ????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts