Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed when towing with my Alt 3.0tdi with factory fitted towbar, a rattle coming from the rear of the vehicle as if the trailer was not attached properly.
I have stopped and checked that the trailer is securely locked on to the vehicle and each time that I do this I find that it is secure. The problem continues.
I have noticed that the knob which you pull out and turn to fit the towbar, when locked in position using the key, can still be turned a little against an internal spring, and when turned in this way, the towbar becomes loose and when pushed and pulled makes noises similar to those I hear when towing on the road.
I've been back to my VW dealer who seemed unconvinced that this could be the problem as there is no force to turn the knob whilst towing, yet they loaned me a new towabar to try out. The new towbar is a little better than my own but I still experience this 'rattle' when towing, especially when going over bumps.
Does anyone have any ideas ?
Is this normal with this type of towbar ? (I have always previously had permanently attached bolt on towbars.

·
886 Posts
Hi There,

We noticed a similar rattle with our detachable Westfalia towbar. Ours was fitted by an independant towbar Co but was the genuine OEM kit.

We were towing a twin Ifor Williams Horse trailer which are not the quietest of trailers so after making the usual checks all appeared ok and we had no problems for the duration of our 3 years with the Treg.

Guess it may be a "characteristic" of the VW kit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tom, Thanks for responding. It does help to know that someone else noticed the same thing and it doesn't appear to be a problem.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Is there any acess to the internal spring to either pack it with a couple of washers to take up the slack, or replace it with another, stronger or slightly longer spring.

I'd also make contact with VW GB directly as this is being experienced by more than just yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts