Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a newbie, i finally took the plunge and decided to get the Touareg and i have to say i yet to find anything that disappoints me.

I had a question that i'm hoping someone might be able to help out with, i have an 06 reg 2.5 TDI SE Sport and it has what i belive is a factory fitted car kit. the cradle is in the arm-rest and the controls can be accessed via the multi-function steering wheel. the fitting look like they belong to a Nokia phone, but do not work with either my blackberry or my wifes Nokia 6600.

I've tried a few times unsuccessfully to remove the cradle (i don't want to end up breaking it) does anyone know how i can remove it and how easy it is to swap our the cradle for one that either works ideally with bluetooth so i could use either any phone or worst case get one for the wife's phone.

I tried speaking to VW and the guy was trying to sell me a compete new kit which i don't think i need if the wiring is already complete.

i have tried searching on the forums but have not found anything that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jas

G

·
Jas, I'm no expert, but if your phone and the Treg have bluetooth, I believe they will connect without the need for a cradle, provided you have the code for each. If no bluetooth then you will need the telephone specific cradle, but it is probably only available for a limited number of phones. Your dealer should have a list.

HTH

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I had an 05-55 November Treg which came with the same kit- for the "2006 Model" the craddle in the arm-rest connected via Blue-tooth so if you dont want to put a phone in the craddle (as I used to forget it was there and walk awy from the car without my phone) it is possible to change the settings via Vag.com to allow the phone to connect via blue-tooth out of the craddle as well as in the craddle. I did search on here (bluetooth) and printed off the the instuctions and gave them to my VW dealer who did not know it was possible but us now a MyTreg convert...

Cas

·
1,307 Posts
Jas, i have been through the same thing as you. in the centre arm rest if you have the cradle, it is nothing more than a glorified battery charger!! all it does is hold the phone and charge the battery up, you still need bluetooth to make it all work.

after some searching i discovered that the only nokia phone that fits in the cradle with bluetooth is the 6230i, i bought one of these from ebay brand new in the box etc etc for ?30..

other than that as long as you have bluetooth on the phone you can try connecting it.

1. switch bluetooth on the phone.
2. using steering wheel buttons get to phone connection menu
3. if like mine it will say trying to connect
4. the mfd will then produce a long code which is only displayed for a set length of time so be prepared because you have to type it into your phone.
5. when the code is in the phone and accepted bobs your uncle, as long as the bluetooth is switched on the phone it will automatically pair with the car.

my wifes phone always trys to log on when i am fiddling on the drive (with the car that is.. :oops: ) and she is in the house, so quite a good system.

as i said the only thing the cradle does is charge the battery up which is no bad thing. my wife puts her phone in the ashtray slot and shuts the lid, it keeps the phone secure and out of sight.

yet again don't forget to take it with you......good luck and hope you get sorted out.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Hi ja55man,
I tried connecting my Blackberry Storm to my V6 TDI via Bluetooth. Unfortunately Blackberry Bluetooth is different than others ???? (dont ask me, I thought it was all the same). I am informed by VW there is is no way it will connect to the car.
Dont bother with the cradle, it does nothing other than charge as far as I can see. I use a portable Parrot which clips on the sun visor when I cant be bothered swapping the SIM from my BBerry to my N95 Nokia which does talk to the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
I queried whether the Fiscon Bluetooth kit will work with the BB Storm and the tech who emailed me back said yes no problem - he uses one. It's now on my Xmas list

Cass

·
53 Posts
Jas

Interested to know if you have sorted this yet. I've struggled with mine (got the car in October)
The system needs a 'phone that supports remote SIM access [rSAP Bluetooth profile] in order to work with the bluetooth. It's not like most bluetooth car devices. The phone has to be set to 'remote SIM access' before it will work. I have a HTC diamond which does (sort of) work.
The cradle charges the phone and also connects it so you don't need to use the bluetooth BUT it only works with a limited range of 'phones and not my HTC - or your blackberry, I think. Your dealer should be able to get a print-out of suitable phones if you want to go down this route.
My dealer says that they cannot get the blackberry to work correctly and so they install a separate in car device now for many customers.

Good luck

Geoff

·
1,307 Posts
The cradle charges the phone and also connects it so you don't need to use the bluetooth

are you sure about the above BlueG???

i think the cradle only charges the phone, you still require bluetooth for connection.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
HEHEY said:
Hi ja55man,
I tried connecting my Blackberry Storm to my V6 TDI via Bluetooth. Unfortunately Blackberry Bluetooth is different than others ???? (dont ask me, I thought it was all the same). I am informed by VW there is is no way it will connect to the car.
Dont bother with the cradle, it does nothing other than charge as far as I can see. I use a portable Parrot which clips on the sun visor when I cant be bothered swapping the SIM from my BBerry to my N95 Nokia which does talk to the car.
VW are talking nonsense. I have been running a BB storm amongst other BB's on my premium car kit for over a year !

On a side note, I notice a vespa in your sig. Good lad, i have a T5 Classic myself.

·
53 Posts
stu said:
The cradle charges the phone and also connects it so you don't need to use the bluetooth

are you sure about the above BlueG???

i think the cradle only charges the phone, you still require bluetooth for connection.
Well - The No.2 Touareg person at VW Chelmsford explained it thus: VW supply specific additional adaptors for specific 'phones that plug into the cradle. He helpfully printed off a range of basic phones - mostly Nokia - that are supported. The phone will not then need a bluetooth connection. They will fit the German Bluetooth add on device for Blackberry 'phones that is commented on elswhere in the forum. Sounded sensible to me...

I have to turn my HTC Diamond off/on and get the car to re-search before it connects - then it won't load up the contacts list. But it is a windows phone.

·
1,307 Posts
i have got a nokia 6230i, which i bought because it was the only nokia phone listed on the phone cradle with bluetooth. without the bluetooth all the cradle does is charge the battery and give you a safe place to store the phone.

my wife has a nokia 6500 slide and it fits perfectly in the ashtray slot, but needs plugging in to charge.

just make sure you get the right phone if you want to use the cradle.

·
53 Posts
OK Stu - It's seems like I received the wrong advice

·
41 Posts
Hi

Have just had the following settings changed by VAG COM

In Module 77 ( telephone) set 133 to 1 and 134 to 0, this will enable a bluetoothe phone, even my blackberry Curve, to make and recive calls while out of the cradle, go through the pairing process of course!!

Unless your phone is rsap enabled ( mine is not ) then your address book will not be uploaded, but once you have made the 1st call using the phone, the voice function on the steering wheel becomes active and you can dictate a number to dial.

Will have to wait for an rsap phone to use the system properly

Above assumes you have factory bluetooth hardware, mine is in a 2006 V10 Altitude

Daz

·
53 Posts
collingdale said:
Hi

In Module 77 ( telephone) set 133 to 1 and 134 to 0, this will enable a bluetoothe phone, even my blackberry Curve, to make and recive calls while out of the cradle, go through the pairing process of course!!

Unless your phone is rsap enabled ( mine is not ) then your address book will not be uploaded, but once you have made the 1st call using the phone, the voice function on the steering wheel becomes active and you can dictate a number to dial.

Above assumes you have factory bluetooth hardware, mine is in a 2006 V10 Altitude

Daz
Daz, How did you get this advice & fix?

My phone is rsap but it will not (believe me I've tried!) upload the address book - each time it tries the car system just hangs and the only way out is to disable/re-enable rsap on the phone and search for it again. Once it's connected it's fine apart from the lack of address book. The phone worked fine with the Merc Bluetooth system.

·
41 Posts
Daz, How did you get this advice & fix?

My phone is rsap but it will not (believe me I've tried!) upload the address book - each time it tries the car system just hangs and the only way out is to disable/re-enable rsap on the phone and search for it again. Once it's connected it's fine apart from the lack of address book. The phone worked fine with the Merc Bluetooth system.[/quote]

Hi

I just did a search on blutooth and VAG COM and up it came!! 133 is the setting for "over BT or not" and 134 is "use in cradle or not".

When my phone automatically pairs with the car the MFD says uploading address book and the number 001 appears at the bottom of the display, this lasts for about a couple of mins then it gives up. I would hope that with an Rsap phone the address book would be uploades at this point.

·
53 Posts
"When my phone automatically pairs with the car the MFD says uploading address book and the number 001 appears at the bottom of the display, this lasts for about a couple of mins then it gives up. I would hope that with an Rsap phone the address book would be uploades at this point."

Ah my rsap windows phone does exactly that.. Thanks for the pointers though - I'll keep fiddling. I really want an android phone but no rsap at the moment, I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry for the taking so long to follow up - had a new additon to the family and she's been taking up all out time. When i go the phone menu i get the please connect phone message so i can only assume that either the kit is not bluetooth enabled or that bluetooth is disabled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
collingdale said:
Hi

Daz
Hi Daz,

What's VAG COM, so you know where i can get more info i'm thinking that may be i need to enable a bluetooth phone to recieve calls while out of the cradle.

thanks

Jas

·
41 Posts
ja55man said:
Hi Daz,

What's VAG COM, so you know where i can get more info i'm thinking that may be i need to enable a bluetooth phone to recieve calls while out of the cradle.

thanks

Jas
VAG COM is the plug in computer system that VW dealers use to change settings on your car ( or get someone who has one and is competant!!!)

Daz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Daz - i realised that after i posted this, think i have a friend who has one. as i assume the dealers will want to charge a small forune.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts