Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me why the factory fitted 13 pin euro socket fitted to my treg has pins 10 and 11 missing???? I am just getting ready to go on my holidays, the first trip with the Treg. I was going to rewire my caravan from the 12s and 12n sockets to one 13 pin socket so that everything was nice and neat and tidy. I was just starting to do it when i noticed the missing pins!!

I have done a search on Google and found some information saying that this is a VW issue!! with newer vehicles, older ones were alright. Would this be something i could approach the dealer about as a warranty issue?

To be honest it is pointless fitting a singular socket if it doesn't have all the pins required for the Brittish market.... :evil: :evil:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Can't help on the socket I'm afraid, but I was behind a caravan today with a completely solid rear panel - no windows at all -and noticed it had reversing light.

What's the point of that I thought?

When you are reversing a trailer, it is much more helpful to have reversing lights that illuminate the sides and the area around the sides so you don't clout a tree stump or fence post or somesuch with the side of the trailer.

·
656 Posts
I have exactly the same 13 pin socket with the missing pins.... Basically, it will not power the fridge or re-charge the caravan battery with these missing. I went through a BIG hoo-har with VW Lux Support and the dealer, but they were not going to give an inch. I have concidered an additional wiring loom to be fitted to populate the pins, but at ?130 (I think) I thought it wasn't worth it.

Let me know how you get on with the dealer and warranty, mine runs out in October, so if you have some success, then I need to act fast with some amunition.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a quick look at things last night. at the socket end the two wires required for the fridge are cut flush with the insulation. if you remove your cover in the boot for the cd changer, you should see where the cable enters the car and splits up. two brown wires go into a multiplug and the rest of the wires are there except the two wires for the fridge cut flush again. the cable then goes over the top of the fuel tank and into a multi plug on the towbar control box, it is visable but couldn't get access to it without removing the side panel in the boot.

my logic is that if the wires have been cut they were there originally, which yet again by my logic means that they should be able to be added into the loom and pins also added to a socket and then all connected to the module multi plug and bobs your uncle!!

does this sound viable??

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just an update, my car is going into the garage on monday to have the scratch and dent sorted out that they did when the rear spoiler brackets were replaced. i asked them about the socket and the manager said there was no point in asking for warranty work as this is how VW prepare their cars with a towbar fitted. he said if i wanted they could order the auxilary kit that is required and fit it all while the car is in anyway for ?145, so i am just going to get it done. in the end its less hassle and if it goes wrong i can take it back.

the main thing is i will have a fridge when towing..

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
stu said:
the main thing is i will have a fridge when towing..
Nothing like a cold beer when you're driving! :twisted:

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nooby, being a reponsible person, i would wait til i found a layby before having a beer!! i would only spill it on the corners!!...

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Ah, so that's why they say "Don't drink and drive!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts