Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Treg with a factory fitted tow bar and 13 pin electrics.
I've seen a lot of comments on other forums about cars with factory fit 13 pin electrics not being fully wired for caravans. That means the fridge isn't powered and the battery doesn't get recharged, which I need.
Anyone know if the VW Touareg will be fully wired? The handbook says it is but a guy on another forum with a Tiguan said his manual also says it's fully wired but it actually isn't and he's had a real job getting VW to sort it.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
There was a long thread on this not so long back - try the search facility if no one comes along with specifics.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I might be lucky (fingers crossed!). Checked the socket and all pins look wired apart from pin 12, which isn't used anyway. I say they look wired, there's a metal socket to accept the pins on the plug in all of them except pin 12 so hopefully there's wires attached to each of them going to the right places.
I'll be able to tell this weekend anyway as we're going away in the caravan. If I get there with a warm fridge I'll know it's not fully wired!

·
1,307 Posts
if you have pins in the socket as you say it looks good. you require pins 10 and 11 if i am not mistaken to work the fridge, one is the supply and the other the earth. if you connect the van up and switch the fridge on you will see that it is working or not.

if it is not wired, just run the fridge for a day or two before you leave if you can plug it in at your house and then it should be ok til you get to the sight.

a genuine kit fitted by vw shouldn't cost much more than £140-£150 to rectify things and also make sure that all the electrics still work.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
I'll be able to tell this weekend anyway as we're going away in the caravan. If I get there with a warm fridge I'll know it's not fully wired!
Better to find out before your journey. Use a multimeter(volts) between pins 10 and 11 to test. The circuit should be voltage sensed so the engine needs to be running, possibly just above idle for pin 10 to become live.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better to find out before your journey. Use a multimeter(volts) between pins 10 and 11 to test. The circuit should be voltage sensed so the engine needs to be running, possibly just above idle for pin 10 to become live.
It doesn't really matter this weekend as we're not going far and we're only away a couple of nights. I'll just plug it in and then switch the fridge on to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it is not wired, just run the fridge for a day or two before you leave if you can plug it in at your house and then it should be ok til you get to the sight.

a genuine kit fitted by vw shouldn't cost much more than £140-£150 to rectify things and also make sure that all the electrics still work.
Van is kept at storage site so no chance to get fridge cold before. We're not going far so should be fine.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just back from a weekend away and partial success.
Strangely, the fridge didn't work from the car (I did have the engine running). However, with the engine running the voltmeter in the caravan showed about 14 volts (was showing 12.5 volts before we hooked up and left site). So, it seems it is recharging the caravan battery on the move but not powering the fridge.
Any suggestions? I thought that if it did one it would also do the other? Could it be a fuse or relay at the car (I've checked the van fuses)?
Looked for fuses etc in car but the Westfalia wiring kit is to the left of the CD changer behind the boot panel so looks like I'd have to take the CD changer out to get at everything (unless there's fuses easily accessible elsewhere?).

·
1,307 Posts
not teaching you to suck eggs, but did you have the fridge switched to the battery position??

every van i have had you need to do this.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Well, just back from a weekend away and partial success.
Strangely, the fridge didn't work from the car (I did have the engine running). However, with the engine running the voltmeter in the caravan showed about 14 volts (was showing 12.5 volts before we hooked up and left site). So, it seems it is recharging the caravan battery on the move but not powering the fridge.
Any suggestions? I thought that if it did one it would also do the other? Could it be a fuse or relay at the car (I've checked the van fuses)?
Looked for fuses etc in car but the Westfalia wiring kit is to the left of the CD changer behind the boot panel so looks like I'd have to take the CD changer out to get at everything (unless there's fuses easily accessible elsewhere?).
The fridge supply and battery charging are on different circuits. You will need to test between pins 10 (supply) and 11 (earth) with the engine running and go from there.

·
1,307 Posts
testing pins 10 and 11 has already been mentioned earlier in thread.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not teaching you to suck eggs, but did you have the fridge switched to the battery position??

every van i have had you need to do this.
Yes, switched on to fridge.
What pins are used for battery charging then?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fridge supply and battery charging are on different circuits. You will need to test between pins 10 (supply) and 11 (earth) with the engine running and go from there.
What pins are used for battery charging?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all.
It was chucking it down last night so didn't fancy kneeling down under the back of the car so will check tonight.
For those with the Westfalia factory fit unit - where are the fuses? Are they where I think (i.e. to the left of the CD changer as you look at the front of the CD changer)? If they are then it's not a quick job to check the fuses

·
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I've tested it and there's no power from the fridge pins.
I guess that either means a fuse has gone, the relay has broken or it was never wired for the fridge circuit at all.
In terms of the wiring kit fitted by the factory, I have read that they come not fully wired. However, does that mean just the fridge wiring isn't there or would it have been both the fridge and charging wiring? If it's both then it must be a fuse/relay.
Any more ideas (before I have to spend money!)?

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Open the socket and see if the wires are there for battery and fridge. If so trace them back and see if there is anything dangling off the other end.

·
1,307 Posts
yes good idea, always keep it as simple as you can. i think you will find that there are no wires for the aux circuits. i had nothing and had to get the kit fitted. as i said before to fit the extra wiring you need to remove the passenger seat as the battery is underneath it, remove rear seats and lift carpets to do a proper neat wiring job, then use computer stuff to check and code things, etc etc

the 140 of our british pounds i paid to have this done in my opinion out weighs the hassle involved doing it yourself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts